Wrc action

Litterally At The End Of My Tether!

Ok simple situation is how do I stop my Race Touareg on a TB02 destroying its diffs. I have tired setting them both up with the kinks or the threadlock solution and they are great for about 5 minutes where the rear diff becomes loose and I end up with front wheel drive effectively with a little help from the rear when upto speed.

The as with today the front diff gives way as its now taking all the strain of my rather modest GT tuned motor running on a 16 tooth pinion to a 61 tooth spur gear giving an overall ratio of just below 10:1 using cut XC tyres that like the rest of the car have been performing perfectly espcially the suspension that so far touch wood has been 100%

So I appeal to you Tc'er with more knowledge of ball diffs to deliver me from this annoyance of only being able to use my car in 5 minute stints and if you know a way to put bevel gear diffs in it :unsure:

Awaiting your reply.

Ryck

You have got the diff built correctly as per instructions I presume? If the bolt and nut are on wrong side the running of the car will cause them to unscrew.

They will come loose over time with use, perhaps a tiny amount of thread-lock will help with your problem. But be very careful though with the application of it.

You can try yokomo screw+nut or hotbodies. I think theyre all the same size. Yokomo diff halves will fit also.

With every topic I read about this, the more I want to stay away from a ball diff.

Hope you get it sorted though. :unsure:

2 ways

1, shoo goo the diff and let it sit overnight

2, red treadlock tight as he-ll and let sit overnight

2, red treadlock tight as he-ll and let sit overnight

Don't overtighten the TB-02 diff bolt. It's liable to break.

The TB-02 diffs are OK for on-road - but off-road, they just aren't robust enough. They're the weakest point of the car.

Possibly trying to find an Evo-3 diff or spool for offroad may help?

Or as said before, just lock the diff together with glue.

- James

make sure the thrustbearing is not jammed and well lubed; once jammed it'll undo itself

if you want to lock the balldiff, don't use glue

remove the balls entirely and replace the rings with DIY cardboard ones of the same size.

Some ppl use rubber puncture patches for tyre innertubes.

I also wrap a few rounds of strapping tape, cut 5mm strips - strap 'em at the tips of the

TB02 outdrives to reduce their spreading under load then breaking.

You can replace screw with HB/HPI diff screw its M2x27mm, stronger or not the jury's still out.

However the stock screw works fine - shouldn't ever need to tighten it so much until it snaps.

If you're gunna jam up the whole diff you could also drill it out to accept a M3 bolt.

Whenever fitting a new screw DEGREASE THE THREADS and use a NEW NYLOC NUT too :)

@ Rich yes I have 90% sure of that

@ adam tried that and it doesnt seem to have a great deal of effect, perhaps doubling the time but we are only talking a % of a run not runs.

the problem isnt the outdrives they are fine as long as you dont run the diff locked which I have done with another diff using a 3mm bolt thorugh the middle and two other ones either side of that to solve any issues of it coming loose.

The problem with the locked diff is that it puts a lot of strain thourgh the drive train as well as having a huge negative effect on the handling and the stability of the car espically in the tight stuff.

I think tho that HunterZero has got the situation down to a tee that being the TB02 diff just isnt upto the off road environment and the loads that I am putting on it espically as the last two have snapped under rough braking on loose rocky surface. And as a run corresponds 30minutes to an hour in the woods and off road I really dont want to make the trek only to keep needing to take apart a filthy car and tighten a diff screw.

As thus I am thinking about putting my suspension on a differnent chassis tub specifically that of the Cayenne.

Does anyone know if it will take the TB02 suspension system?

Cheers

Ryck

@ Hunterzero - Yes I have and its a non starting owing to the tub being much wider and the fact you cannot get the suspension out wide enough to allow a proper stroke when turning with XC tyres, the only way you can do it is to invert the front suspension arms, But then you have issues with the cup joints at silly angles and also the steering rod angles.

I think I shall be ordering a cayenne and then lifting my Tb02 suspension onto it as at least that will get rid of my diff problems even if the DF01 does have a more old fashioned and less sharp steering system :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the cayenne comes with bearings?

Cheers

Ryck

I think I shall be ordering a cayenne and then lifting my Tb02 suspension onto it as at least that will get rid of my diff problems even if the DF01 does have a more old fashioned and less sharp steering system :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the cayenne comes with bearings?

Cheers

Ryck

If you're going to swap the suspension arms anyway you could just get a Manta ray or blazing star, plenty of quite good rolling chassis come up on ebay quite cheap. Unless you actually want the Porsche body that is.

Hi

Sorry to hear your having problems. There must be a fault somewhere. I run a TB02 constantly on gravel and tarmac granted but with an 11 single with no problems, It tears holes in my tyres sliding it round on tarmac. The biggest problem with ball diffs is you HAVE too use the exact grease and correct amount or that can cause slippage and untightening too. There is also the possibility or wear and tear on the diff plates which you cannot alway see visibly which can cause these problem too. Like Hunterzero says The simple fix is put the alloy EVO diff in. The tbo2 diff is the same unit but all plastic. This can cause problems especially if your running bigger wheels and tyres which will cause more distortion in the pressure plates. Hope you get it sorted.

Mark

@ M.i.field - Well there is that point but its a worse case scenario that I at least have some suspension that I can then modify upto a decent standard perhaps not as high as my present machine but at least it should run more reliably. In addition the lateral battery should like with my M04 provide a much more balanced chassis which is always good.

Does anyone know the highest ratio you can get out of a Cayenne and does it have bearings?

@ sgt.barnes I think the flaw here is that I am running cut Xc tyres which are firstly heavier and secondly very good grip wise espically on rocky and rutted surfaces so i can just see this happening again. Yes I do see your point about the use of an aluminum TB Evo 3 diff in order to reduce the bend but it will still be a stress on the same size screw and as all my gear diffs have worked perfectly off road including the one in my 2wd buggy that is by no means short of traction I think its the right course to migrate. Couldnt interest you in any TB02 parts could I?

cheers

Ryck

We have found that the best way to upgrade your differential unit would be to build an Evo 3 differential for your vehicle. The parts you would need include the following:

- F201 Diff Rings - http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=50941

- TA04 Ball Differential - http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53436

- Evo 3 Diff Joint - http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53627

Why don't you just replace the ball diffs for planetary diffs? I did that on my TA02... It has a ball diff on the rear, normally... But it was damaged, and since I had a spare TL01 diff I decided to try and fit it. It was a few millimeters too wide for the casing, so I cut the sides down so the sides are flat, and now it fits perfectly and runs without any problem so far :)

Why don't you just replace the ball diffs for planetary diffs? I did that on my TA02... It has a ball diff on the rear, normally... But it was damaged, and since I had a spare TL01 diff I decided to try and fit it. It was a few millimeters too wide for the casing, so I cut the sides down so the sides are flat, and now it fits perfectly and runs without any problem so far :)

I would love to do that but there is not a chance of the tamiya gear diff even being able to fit in there without the gear ring. Its just a matter of room and there simply isnt any room lol.

Yeah, as far as I know, there isn't a gear diff for the TB-02. The chassis only ever came with ball diffs that are plastic versions of the EVO-3 diffs. The gearbox just isn't big enough to house a gear diff.

That's why I thought of the TB-01, which has the larger gearbox/ring gear that has the option of a ball diff or geared diff.

- James

Yes the TB01 diffs are superb, I have a TB01 rally car and cannot fault the diffs but the problem is the width of the bath tub and the steering layout, Only way around it is perhaps to make my own chassis plates but that adds all manner of issues, Plus even with the widest suspension settings its only 195mm wide at a push compared to the 200/205 I have at the moment from my TB02 suspension.

cheers Ryck

I would love to do that but there is not a chance of the tamiya gear diff even being able to fit in there without the gear ring. Its just a matter of room and there simply isnt any room lol.

What do you mean? Could you make a picture of it?

Not at the moment I am at college. But put simply the diff from the TB01 is about twice the size of that from the TB02 so there is no chance of getting it to fit.

will try to sort some pics out later.

Cheers

Ryck