Sign in to follow this  
Wild1

Brake Cleaner As Paint Remover

Hello Tamiya Fans, first post here :)

I am restoring my 20 yr old Tamiya Wild One. I tried removing the original Tamiya paint from the wheels using some

methods found from searching forum messages (brake fluid, nail polish remover).

I did not like either of these, the first one takes too long and the other one dulls / mars the plastic.

I then tried Brake Cleaner spray with good results. It removed the metallic paint from the wheels completely and did not

adversely affect the plastic. I also tried a small section of the lexan (clear plastic) used on a roof panel and it worked the same way.

For the wheels the best method found was to remove the tire, spray Brake Cleaner on the wheel and let it sit for about

1 minute (it evaporates quickly), then also spray the cleaner onto a paper towel and rub the wheel to remove the paint. It took 2 or 3

applications but it removed the paint completely. Finish by washing the wheel with soap and water before repainting.

I am not planning to remove the paint from the lexan body so I just experimented by spraying brake cleaner on a Q-tip and rubbing

a small section. It removed the Tamiya paint completely with no damage or dulling of the clear plastic.

I used Gunk Brake Cleaner, it says "Cleans & Degreases Drum and Disc Brakes", this or a similar brand should be available

at any auto parts stores. I am just relating my experience using Brake Cleaner - it appears to work fine, with no effect on plastic.

Disclaimer - Always experiment on a small section first (try a Q-tip), use outside due to vapors, and wear disposable gloves.

Regards,

Wild1.

Original Tamiya PC polycarbonate brush paint isn't fuel proof, so isn't too hard to remove. Nitro fuel is the easiest and safest way.

I'd be interested to know if the brake cleaner removes modern fuel-proof PS paint?

- James

I'd be interested to know if the brake cleaner removes modern fuel-proof PS paint?

nope!

brake cleaner = motor spray, basically a presure aerosol of thinners

nothing removes PS not even isopropyl alcohol which is probably the most aggressive spirit that won't destroy lexan

depending on formulation some brands of brake cleaner will dissolve tamiya chassis plastics so be careful

acetone will dissolve anything, including the lexan

however... original Wild One wheels are nylon which can be dipped into acetone.

It will remove any paint, even the engine enamel silver i painted them with 20yrs ago.

however... original Wild One wheels are nylon which can be dipped into acetone.

Willy,

I totally agree with almost everything you said. But are you 100% sure about the wild one rims? I thought they were just white engineering plastic.

I'd hate to see someone turn a nice set of rims into goop. :)

Hi Guy's: Just a couple of notes. As a 40 year model builder, kit basher and restorer I would like to mention a couple of quick things. Yes, brake fluid works amazingly well, especially on styrene, but it is extremely rough on the skin. Be careful, rubber gloves etc. Scalecoat works well, but will require a long soak at times to remove 25 year old paint. Just rebuilt an ancient Lotus 107B and had a nice result on the Lexan with Scalecoat. It also took off the worst paint job in history off an old Honda F2 body, but with a ton of patience. Easy-Off oven cleaner in a plastic bag works well, but will also take a bit of time.

Everyone seems to like Castrol Super Clean the best these days, but like brake fluid it'll take off your finger prints. Be patient and be be careful and do test spots. Best regards, Guy

Willy,

I totally agree with almost everything you said. But are you 100% sure about the wild one rims? I thought they were just white engineering plastic.

I'd hate to see someone turn a nice set of rims into goop. ;)

Hi Capt... You are correct, the rims on the Wild One are white, engineering (solid high impact) plastic.

I have no experience with the new materials or paints used on modern Tamiya cars. I can only report on a 20 year old

Tamiya Wild One. However, if there is some stubborn paint removal problem, try B/C, you may already have it in your garage :P

However, always run a test on a small, non-visible area of the plastic to see how it reacts.

cheers,

Wild1.

do NOT use caustics (EasyOff or soda) to strip LEXAN, it goes BRITTLE.

Willy,

I totally agree with almost everything you said. But are you 100% sure about the wild one rims?

I thought they were just white engineering plastic.

I'd hate to see someone turn a nice set of rims into goop. ;)

I stripped my W1 wheels fine in acetone, the same set twice even :P ditto Hotshot and WildWilly.

Paint comes off but depending on colour the paint may have stained the plastic which will never come off

hence you'll usually have to repaint it... i like the W1 wheels in silver.

Dunno what is "engineering plastic" but nylon injection plastic is labelled PA.

Stuff that don't survive acetone is labelled PS... like the orange SuperHornet wheels.

Had the same thing happen with Brake Cleaner ... Advance Auto Parts brand ;)

All I wanted is to clean the bodie ... now I know WD40 works best :P

I stripped my W1 wheels fine in acetone, the same set twice even :o ditto Hotshot and WildWilly.

Paint comes off but depending on colour the paint may have stained the plastic which will never come off

hence you'll usually have to repaint it... i like the W1 wheels in silver.

Dunno what is "engineering plastic" but nylon injection plastic is labelled PA.

Stuff that don't survive acetone is labelled PS... like the orange SuperHornet wheels.

Thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't sure what to call the plastic that the tub and swing arms are made of so I just used the term Tamiya favour in their promo vids. The promo guy is always going on about how Tamiya cars are "made from tough engineering plasitc", so.... :(

I had tried acetone to clean up some rims back in my racing days and discovered a little late that not all my rims were nylon. Its a little freaky when you go to retrieve your rims and they start trying bind with your fingers.

yeah nearly all T's touringcar & mini wheels are PS which crack on impact and don't survive acetone,

i think only those grey graphite reinforced wheels won't melt

Easy to test though... just dip a finger into acetone and press against the plastic.

If your thumbprint is impressed upon the surface... well you've just marked your territory! :(