pUs

Jamie Booth 1990 Trf Egress

The wait will be a bit longer guys, I'm picking up the buggy from Mr. Booth in the pub on July 26th :)

Worth waiting Dan..:)

I am Glad to inspect it and note all the adjustment on this Era Buggy!

Cheers

Ok so here goes :)

As some of you may know, Jamie and I have been talking over the past few months, mainly about the iconicrc revival race which took place on 27th July (it was fantastic) but also about the only remnant (ie car) that Jamie has left from his shining racing career, his 1990 Egress which is the subject of this thread.

This car has been discussed on TamiyaClub and RC10talk but hasn't seen the light of day until now.....Jamie found it in his garage and has kindly entrusted me with the task of rebuilding it into something he can display and remind him of them good ol' days - he handed me a red plastic box of bits complete with what I'm sure were cobwebs.....

Many of the parts are bespoke 1-off items which were custom made by Tamiya Japan for Jamie to test. The eagle eyed will spot the blue wishbones and alloy hangers together with the red knuckles shared with other models (Hotshot/2/Top Force)......unfortunately in a rare lapse of concentration Jamie smacked the car into a post and snapped it in 2....so far I've fitted a new lower chassis and have fitted what I have remaining from the top deck but will need another.......I was thinking of cleaning all parts but I think it's nicer to preserve the 'just raced' look and feel for this car.

I'd really appreciate all your input to get this buggy back to life. Does anyone have this issue of Radio Race Car from August 1990 that you can post in higher resolution? You can see the car in the bottom right of the magazine article in below pic. 1st Booth, 2nd Drescher, 3rd Moore.

I've sourced a propshaft from Jon Cryer and have already bought some new wheels, he was using Schumacher full spikes so I can get some of those too (only need the narrow fronts, same as commonly used on CAT XLS). It also needs a wing wire and mount hardware.

Can any of you help the project with the following?:

Top Deck

Wing wire

Wing mount (clamp for wing with screws etc)

I'll buy a new shell/tray and wing and get them painted as per original car

I think that is all I need - I had a few transmission parts which I have used in my Tamiya box.

Cheers and enjoy this piece of Tamiya/TRF history which Jamie may well race again next year.

Dan

rowlandsdaniel@hotmail.com

20140731_234822_zpscf73mohr.jpg

20140731_234828_zpsgxhwlgy2.jpg

20140731_234835_zpsywec5q0s.jpg

20140731_234850_zpst10ayf7a.jpg

20140731_234907_zpsqh5jrghd.jpg

20140731_234927_zps6msi8qet.jpg

20140731_234931_zpsbdyhhyx1.jpg

20140731_234943_zps4jcqv0vo.jpg

20140731_234949_zpsqrlr78du.jpg

20140731_234959_zpskyw37b5b.jpg

20140731_235010_zpskd4y9imh.jpg

20140731_235018_zpscykxuhj1.jpg

20140731_235039_zpsivbwr9kj.jpg

20140731_235050_zpsntob6xrd.jpg

20140801_001421_zpsvbwdimwq.jpg

Next to my 1989 Egress:

20140802_125442_zpsg48arpwo.jpg

20140802_125759_zpsbjoiwygu.jpg

• Like 4

Darren Styles told me there were 3 prototypes given to the UK drivers to test but this car of Jamie's was the only one with independant wishbones all round - and it proved to be the best on track.

Personally I think you should clean it. I'm sure Jamie cleaned it between races, so clean is still an "as run" condition.

The dirt and grime will simply proliferate further deterioration of the components.

Pretty sure the rusty stuff wasn't rusty after Jamie's last race!

Leaving the mud and dirt on the shell perhaps (like a winning lemans car would be left) would be okay, but you don't have the original shell to have this option and making a new one dirty (to replicate or match the dirt everywhere else) would be a bit naff.

• Like 3

Yeah, cleaning it up will be good for the shelf.

However you mentioned that he may run the Egress later right? 😄

Is there any difference in design for those front white lower arms vs the originals?

Thanks.

Just a thought, maybe someone can scan the once-off parts and do a 3-D printing.

Oops.....any legal issues?

• Like 1

The Lancia Delta S4 in the Historical Automotive Museum in Turin is perfectly clean and restored and in 100% efficiency.
That car was perfectly clean before every rally race and was perfectly washed and refurbished after every rally race.

This is the only way to preserve an item with some historical significance.
Leaving it rusty and dirty will only accelerate its degradation. It's a nonsense.
The Jamie Booth model should be cleaned, refurbished and fully restored. If not cleaned and restored it is useless save the model from the abandonment in a garage.
It might as well leave it in the garage.

Max

• Like 1

Send it to me if you cant be bothered to clean it, I'll sort it ;)

Just a thought, maybe someone can scan the once-off parts and do a 3-D printing.

Oops.....any legal issues?

This would just be insane fantastic, could it be done and legal?

if it didn't go into production and the parts are proto-types then it should be far game on reproducing them.

I doubt Tamiya bothered to license them.

• Like 1

+1 for the cleaning, make it nice n shiny again! What an awesome car, must get me an Egress now... Christmas is coming :D

He will run the car again, I'm sure more than once and it'll be run hard.

I will be stripping it and giving it a clean but I am not going to polish it as it won't sit in a display cabinet - Jamie is just over the moon that he'll get to drive it again and doesn't want it gleeming.

Send it to me if you cant be bothered to clean it, I'll sort it ;)

I travelled 3700 miles to get the car so I don't think my motivation for cleaning it is in question :) it is a very cool buggy and Jamie says it handles really well.

• Like 1

Jeff has come to the rescue with the chassis and top deck (thanks again!)

Remaining parts needed are:

Wing mount set (wire and clamps)
Body
Wing
Undertray
Chassis stiffener posts x 3
Front propeller joint

All donations welcomed!

Dan icon_smile.gif

rowlandsdaniel@hotmail.com

I'm actually quite shocked, even in 1990, that Jamie/Tamiya persisted with Phillips head screws when racing! What a PITA!

Also, it would be interesting to sit this alongside a top force evo.

- did the geometry carry over?

- wheel base?

- is there any familiarity in the way the arms mount and their shape?

Possibly not as the TF was manta ray based, but maybe?

Would be good to see if the R&D that went into the egress continued somewhere further than English race tracks. Perhaps not.

From below especially, it looks nothing like an egress!

Dan Bro..........i am ready to donate for this EPIC version of Egress.....i gathered some parts and will hand them over when we meet...:)

This version indeed needs a close up look which i belive we can scan it and enjoy it too! ;)

Cheers!

• Like 1

So, I trial fitted Jeff's amazing workmanship last night, the quality is amazing thanks so much! I also told Jamie that this chassis and upper deck are thicker CF so he can't break it so easily next time :)

Thanks to Jeff, Haider, Jeremy, Jon and everyone else who is helping out with this iconic rebuild. It'll be great to see Jamie race it (even if it may only be on video for me)

20140817_202200_zpsaxegmx2u.jpg
20140817_204041_zpsq4pjyxa5.jpg

More soon ;)

• Like 1