Sign in to follow this  
Swarm

Tamiya 1/14 Truck Going To Buy The Lot

Hi guys well its official Iam going to buy a Tamiya 1/14 truck and everything that goes with it ,I have decided upon the Knight Hauler ,3 Axle reefer semi trailer ,MFU kit ,Bullbar,and Semi trailer light set.I will get another 4 ch Transmitter as well .I knew by posting that thread asking anybody if they had a 1/14 truck that I would be hooked its too late the damage is done .I worked it out price wise about $1000.00 US dollars with shipping/Postage Ebay all the way .The only thing I could not find was the hop up Aluminium rims any idea where to find these I might as well get those too. In for a penny in for a pound. Any other things I might have overlooked ? all suggestions welcome . :) Cheers

Good , welcome to the big-rig-clan :)

Ok, i advice, use oil shocks on the tractor when you install the shake-unit on the MFU.

Skip the bullbar "it's disigned for the globeliner & knight hauler.. " , not a new type of rig. ( imho )

It is to crude for the steamline.

Install ball bearings < for the cash you save on the bullbar >

Alloy's can be found on the web, i prefer the one's stellamodels had but they don't sell them anymore

for a long time.

Might just go as well for stock tamiya's ( alloy's that is )

For now there no alloy's for sale for the reefer as far i know.

Get a decent battery, 3800mha minimum, it is a heavy combination and does suck up the power with the MFU

at full volume.

Enjoy the build to ;)

Stefan

I wouldn't bother with the oil shocks as i found them too hard when running even after playing with different weight oils - the standard friction shocks are good for me.

I wouldn't bother with the aloys either - lots of cash and they look pretty similar and like stefan said there aren't any for the reefer yet. Instead i would detail the plastic ones.

Bullbar is upto you.

I would also get the electric leg set for the trailer - nothing cooler than raising and lowering the legs from the transmitter!

Get bearings - simple as, dont forget the trailer.

When buying your radio - make sure you get a set with manual trims (some new ones have digital trims). But you need the manual trims for all the mfu controls to work.

Great choices. I love the new reefer but I think it's going to look funny with the Knight Hauler. The reefer is very European looking where as the Knight Hauler is an American truck. IMO A tanker trailer or box trailer will look killer.

img34_05072005031635_3.jpg

img34_23022004230826_1.jpg

RC4wd sells aluminum wheels but I don't like them as much as the Tamiya or GPM wheels. There are pros and cons to each wheels set. On the rear, the Tamiya rims are only just the outsides but come with tires. the GPM rears are all aluminum but do not come with tires.

My advice is to really take your time building it. The three speed tanny takes patience to build and all the MFU wiring need to be kept organized. here are a couple of links to when I installed bearings and an mfu to an already built King Hauler.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...28640&id=34

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...28594&id=34

Thanx for the advice Iam still looking on ebay lucky I did not buy the reefer yet as the box trailer does look much better and as for the wheels I might get get front wheels for the truck and go from there I will stick with the stock standard shocks ..I just gotta find a box trailer now and bearings are a everywhere ...Thanx guys you all have top shelf Rigs ..I cant wait to get mine but as I said Iam still ebaying want to make the right descion as I have too live with it ...cheers guys :)

I buy all my kits from Stella models in HK - im sure they ship to oz.

There is a link from the homepage - and they probably have everything in stock

I buy all my kits from Stella models in HK - im sure they ship to oz.

There is a link from the homepage - and they probably have everything in stock

Yep, Stella definitely ships to Oz. I buy most of my kits from there. Can't recommend them highly enough.

- James

Does anybody have a pic of a Tamiya 1/14 Knight Hauler with a 3 axle reefer trailer ? I would like to get a perspective of the truck and trailer together .looking at stella models now thanx. :) .its hard to find the 2 axle box trailer . And what kinda 4ch transmitter works well with this kit apart from the futaba (t4vwd) which is hard to find the (t4gwd) is not reccomended as you have to swap between functions too much . Iam trying to buy all the gear from the same ebay seller postage /shipping is cheaper that way ...I got Ebay stare fever givin me a headache

Go with a 4ex or a 4yf for the radio. IMO the reefer looks great with the euro trucks but not the american trucks.

Looks and taste are personal so by no means you going with the Knight Hauler is wrong.

I like the King Hauler as it has the classic look, but is smaller than the Knight.

As for the trailor the SS tanker is best made, but is too small in relation to the Knight Hauler, not balance, so the box trailer or the latest from Tamiya will have a better balance look.

But be warn, make sure you have a car or get acces to one because you do not want to take public transit to haul the 1/14 rigs around together with the trailer.

Select the rig and trailor you like. You will enjoy it and they are cheap in relation to price of some NIB that Tamiya no longer makes.

Yep, Stella definitely ships to Oz. I buy most of my kits from there. Can't recommend them highly enough.

- James

Do stella combine shipping for multiply items and invoice in on go for say 7 items ..ie king hauker,semi box trailer,semi light set,mfu, ? and ship items all together ?

Thanx

Just register with stella, do all your shopping etc.

You can then take the checkout through all the stages - including postage selection and prices. You only fully confirm when you pay right at the very end!

Hi guys .Well 3 days after deciding I would buy a Tamiya 1/14 Truck I did buy one today I spent 3 days and nights on ebay waiting for one seller to have every item I wanted I thought I would have to use different sellers but today I hit the jackpot found a seller that had everything .So I ended up with the Tamiya Knight Hauler ,Semi box trailer (as I heard the 3 axle reefer looked odd on the Knight Hauler),Bullbar,Motorized support leg trailer,Alloy wheels ,Semi trailer light kit ,MFU,Oil shocks for the whole rig,Ball bearings for the Knight Hauler,and a Futaba 4 ch (T4VWD). The cost umm with Airmail was $1575.22 Australian Dollars and it so happend to be the cheapest as well so bonus there .What a nightmare 3 days and nights .....Dun wanna go through that again but was worth waiting for one seller to have all the items as Postage/Shipping in my case Airmail is definatly cheaper by getting the lot from one seller ....Now I gotta wait until it arrives ...Ohh well gives me time to work on my Tamiya Toyota Hilux ....Thanx guys for all you input it helped heaps and taking my time I feel has paid off ...but I feel kinda washed out had the Ebay thousand yard stare happening B) .Cheers guys :D

Further to this I sent an email off to the buyer basically saying that I had waited 3 days to get everything I wanted and how I was quoted a similar cost if not more for less items from different sellers in some cases the sellers were charging less for the actual item but Postage/Shipping was much higher...He sent me this back.

Hi Stuart,

I got the payment, thanks!

Yes I know what you mean, I always see some sellers also ship things from Hong Kong very much fond of juggling with figures: a relative low selling price but a huge shipping to mislead buyers. As there is only one postal service in Hong Kong, so we definitely use the same service. It is a bad practice and it works nothing other than intentionally mislead buyers. This happens especially on high-priceed RC model kits, like the tractor truck kits and the 1/16 Rc tank kits.

I will pack them in one parcel if possible. I'll let you know the details once I shipped the items.

Regards,

So when it comes down to it Postage/Shipping can be a real killer it pays to wait and be patient and see if you can get everything off the one seller sometimes impossible I know, I found it interesting as I did not know there was one postal service in Hong Honk Just food for thought guys :(

Stuart

Hi guys .Well 3 days after deciding I would buy a Tamiya 1/14 Truck I did buy one today I spent 3 days and nights on ebay waiting for one seller to have every item I wanted I thought I would have to use different sellers but today I hit the jackpot found a seller that had everything .So I ended up with the Tamiya Knight Hauler ,Semi box trailer (as I heard the 3 axle reefer looked odd on the Knight Hauler),Bullbar,Motorized support leg trailer,Alloy wheels ,Semi trailer light kit ,MFU,Oil shocks for the whole rig,Ball bearings for the Knight Hauler,and a Futaba 4 ch (T4VWD). The cost umm was with Airmail was $1575.22 Australian Dollars and it so happend to be the cheapest as well so bonus there .What a nightmare 3 days and nights .....Dun wanna go through that again but was worth waiting for one seller to have all the items as Postage/Shipping in my case Airmail is definatly cheaper by getting the lot from one seller ....Now I gotta wait until it arrives ...Ohh well gives me time to work on my Tamiya Toyota Hilux ....Thanx guys for all you input it helped heaps and taking my time I feel has paid off ...but I feel kinda washed out had the Ebay thousand yard stare happening B) .Cheers guys :D

Stuart

Congrats mate- it will be just like Christmas!! good choices on it all, you will love it!!

Nice one mate for ordering, but as said above, I would ditch the Animal Guard as Knight haulers dont really have the right look for it. Knight haulers are all about streamlines etc

B) Big rigs are a pleasure to build! I have just done a Hauler 6x6 conversion and shortened the gearbox with a 2 speed conversion, made up sub c saddle packs to fit the battery inbetween the chassis rails and almost converted the cab to look like a military M813 @ 1:12 scale 5 Tonner.

I run a lot of extra weight with resin figures and a steel flat bed on board which makes the rig really heavy even unloaded so the oil shocks are a must for me anyway. They are said to help the springs cope better with vibration so should protect any electronics...

Without the extra weight the oil shocks do seem to give a much harsher ride than the friction ones, it depends on how much you are going to ask of the chassis...

Happy trails! :D

Nice one mate for ordering, but as said above, I would ditch the Animal Guard as Knight haulers dont really have the right look for it. Knight haulers are all about streamlines etc

Yeah I really gave it some thought I live in the country lots of Kangaroos (not that ill be hitting any) and we have Knight Haulers or similar trucks here and every truck has a Bullbar Roo bar as we call them In Australia and they are just apart of life here trucks dont look the same without Roo Bars ....Anyways if I dont like it I can take it off ..Maybe put it on another kit down the track I know they are all about streamlines but here in the country region its all about being practical (I have hit my fair share of Roos in my Jeep and I thank the Bullbar everytime) again I know its only a kit ..Thanx for your interest it what makes forums interesting B)

Stuart