hedge

Blazers And Hilux's

Recently I thought the interest in these old trucks was dwindling due to the F350 being released. However looking at ebay there seems to be fierce competition for some of the parts still.

I can understand a lack of interest due to the "bad" handling of these models. The suspension is so hard they are practically undriveable off road unless being run very very slowly - in which case I find them quite enjoyable. I wonder if they will retain their position (or indeed if they still hold it) as the top 3 speed models or wether they will just get forgotton as time goes by.

One more thing to add I think the crawling scene has really opened peoples minds to functionality (of these trucks) over "form" much like the touring cars of today and this new class of RC has increased the number of people interested in 3 speed trucks.

Each to thier own and I for one still hold them close to my heart and would love to see them decline in popularity so I can grab a couple more :).

Paul

I knew this was going to happen. I recall when the F350 was released, other said here would be a drop in price in the older three speeds. I was waiting for it to happen as I would like to pick up a few more but I have yet top see the drop also.

With the release of the Hilift Hilux body, it gives everyone an inexpensive replacement body for their Bruiser or Mounty.

The price for the old Blazer and Hilux are going through the roof but the price for the Mounty and Brusier havn't change much. One can still pick one up for less than $1000, but for the Blazer and Hilux likely double the price of the Mounty or Bruiser. I too was hoping to get the old Hilux and Blazer but at over $2K for a nice one is not what I want to spend.

I still have my old Hilux. Mechanically the Hilux is in really good shape. But I'm too lazy and really not sure how to work on the body. I want to strip the decal and repaint it but I'm lacking confidence ..

I still have my old Hilux. Mechanically the Hilux is in really good shape. But I'm too lazy and really not sure how to work on the body. I want to strip the decal and repaint it but I'm lacking confidence ..

Hey Tenzor the only issue when stripping is uncovering splits cracks or repairs. If none of that is present then just dip it in brake fluid leav it for a day then gently brush off the paint with a toothbrush. If it does not just slip off jus pop it back in the fluid and leave for three days. You will be left with a shell that is hopefully clean and white although personally there is always something stuck to it that cant be shifted.

Then wash it off and repaint it. If you want to be a pro sand and prime and sand and prime etc etc but seriously fresh paint will really improve how you fee about the body.

Decals are dead easy... Get a squirty bottle fill with warm water and a couple of drops of washing up liquid. Then the fun... using tamiya club decals soak the body where you are about to apply the decal then soak the decal - I mean its dripping wet seriously soaked then apply gently move it around, pull it off etc etc until you are happy then push it on hard and make sure you force the water out from under the decal. Job done! This is how professional sign makers fit decals.

Paul

Hey Tenzor the only issue when stripping is uncovering splits cracks or repairs. If none of that is present then just dip it in brake fluid leav it for a day then gently brush off the paint with a toothbrush. If it does not just slip off jus pop it back in the fluid and leave for three days. You will be left with a shell that is hopefully clean and white although personally there is always something stuck to it that cant be shifted.

Then wash it off and repaint it. If you want to be a pro sand and prime and sand and prime etc etc but seriously fresh paint will really improve how you fee about the body.

Decals are dead easy... Get a squirty bottle fill with warm water and a couple of drops of washing up liquid. Then the fun using tamiya club decals soak the body where you are about to apply the decal then soak the decal - I mean its dripping wet seriously soaked then apply gently move it around, pull it off etc etc until you are ahppy then rpush it on hard and make sure you force the water out from under the decal. Job done! This is how professional sign makers fit decals.

Paul

Good info on decals - will try it :P

Re brake fluid: it can take WAY longer than a week, as long as a month is some cases... excellent tuto here:

http://www.tamiya101.com/article_brake_flu...t_stripping.asp

No worries, brake fluid is harmless for ABS bodies. It can ruin a lexan one though (been there done that :) )

Paul

I put my powdercoated bruiser chassis on e-pay and didn't get a bid

In the US with gas prices so high nobody has a lot of extra dough for hobby items

Decals are dead easy... Get a squirty bottle fill with warm water and a couple of drops of washing up liquid. Then the fun... using tamiya club decals soak the body where you are about to apply the decal then soak the decal - I mean its dripping wet seriously soaked then apply gently move it around, pull it off etc etc until you are happy then push it on hard and make sure you force the water out from under the decal. Job done! This is how professional sign makers fit decals.

Paul

What if I don't want the decal? Can I just dump the body in to the bucket full of drake fluid? Can I leave shell for over 2 weeks? I'm planning to go away so I want to leave the shell outside

I put my powdercoated bruiser chassis on e-pay and didn't get a bid

No offense, mate but I thought it was a bit pricey. I mean it has a nice-worked custom body and that painted chassis, but you know not everyone has the same tastes when it comes to customize a truck. One would need to spend $150 to $250 just to find a Toyota body in "runner" conditions. Also, this year most Bruisers have sold for about five hundred bucks on eBay. I've seen some for parts or fix at $400 and runners for up to $600. I know because I've checked them just in case something nice turns up.

Anyway, best of luck with the sale, Bill.

EB

--

I never heard of the old 3 speeds until I got my High Lift. Then I started reading about Tamiya RC's, and as soon as I saw a Bruiser, I wanted one, and of course I bought one. I think the new 3 speeds are only bringing more interest to them.

In the US with gas prices so high nobody has a lot of extra dough for hobby items

You guys have some of the cheapest gas in the western world still ;)

We are paying $6.00usd for a US gallon here in NZ.

The guys in the UK pay even more, but they earn more....

I never heard of the old 3 speeds until I got my High Lift.

Which one, the Toyota or the F-350??

I am in the USA. And gas prices have made me buy more RC if anything. All I have to do is charge them up and go for a bash. With full size 4x4ing you have to buy gas and alot of other **** just to go do it. So you might be surprised to see quite a few people that are moving back to RC. As well as the fact that alot of the teens from the 80's including me. Are now in their mid 30's and are getting back into their vintage cars, if not more. I know the bug bit me hard once I got back into RC. It has only been a couple months and I have 3 kits I need to build and about 5 or 6 vintage cars I am working on right now. So ya, OPEC take your oil and shove it... I will drive my RC thank you very much. Sell your oil stocks and buy Tamiya instead, lmao.

I finally took apart the entire body and examine it carefully. No major problems just some minor which I think I can fix.

One of the tab (looks like a C) is broken, it's now half a C but it still holds fine. The other is the driver side light bucket is stuck. I read I can heat it up and pry it off. I don't mind as I have new ones to put it in its place. Also my rear cab is slightly worn atleast the edge of the bed is rounded off, is there any way I can fix it? I was going to try putty but I heard it shrinks?

You guys have some of the cheapest gas in the western world still :)

We are paying $6.00usd for a US gallon here in NZ.

The guys in the UK pay even more, but they earn more....

I know I'm off topic here, but I don't care. We in the UK pay the most per litre than anywhere else. 1.15 per litre, that would equate to around $2.30 per litre, not per gallon!!! That would equate over 5.00 per gallon, $10.00!! do the guys in the US really think that we over here get twice as much pay/living allowance???

Anyway, nuff said, rant over.

1.15/litre? Where's that??? Sign me up.

I filled up this morning at the cheapest place I could find - 1.22 a litre. Super Unleaded and diesel were 1.32!!

I know I'm off topic here, but I don't care. We in the UK pay the most per litre than anywhere else. 1.15 per litre, that would equate to around $2.30 per litre, not per gallon!!! That would equate over 5.00 per gallon, $10.00!! do the guys in the US really think that we over here get twice as much pay/living allowance???

Even worse, at my local, beer is 2.40 a pint. Thats 19.20 a gallon, $38.40. And I live in the North-West of England down south its even more expensive :)

Cost of drinking is ridiculously high here in the UK ;)

Grizy

Gettin back to the paint topic.

I have a question, has anyone remove automotive paint from a hardbody with easy off or brake fluid?

Any issues if you have?

I have a jugg that the previous owner had it painted by his friend at the dealers auto body shop. The body is quite heavy. The spray job is nice but I wanted to redo the body and have a nice fresh coat of tamiya paint on it in my color of chosing. :)

Just wanted to know if there would be any issues being its auto paint and if BF would weaken the plastic. Not sure how much easy off is but how many cans does it usually take to strip a body?

Does it weaken the plastic the more you spray it on?

Just got back from Germany and Holland where fuel is even more expensive! We were paying an average of 1.52 euros in Germany (1.19) and then 1.69 euros (1.33) in Holland!!

It's hard to complain at our fuel prices here in Australia upon seeing what others are paying and taking into consideration exchange rates.

I paid AU$1.689/ltr at the pump Tuesday (cheapest day here). Compared to 1 year ago, I now need $30 of fuel to travel the same distance $20 did. Costs almost $10 in fuel to mow the lawn.

Nitro prices have risen here too, Now $18.50/ltr for a 2ltr bottle.

Mark

Even worse, at my local, beer is 2.40 a pint. Thats 19.20 a gallon, $38.40. And I live in the North-West of England down south its even more expensive :)

Cost of drinking is ridiculously high here in the UK :D

Grizy

3.20 for a Pint in my local!!! 25.60 per Gallon!!!!

Send me some at 2.40 i'll paypal you the funds :(

I love the Forums...the discussing was about old 3 spd and some how the topic got change to gas prices. :) Maybe someone should start a new forum on current oil and gas prices and Blazers and Hilux discussion would reappear.

Anyway, I can understand some TC members from the States having big shoe box like SUV with 360bhp V8 and getting like 13 mpg highway would be upset with the current gas prices. And is funny the othe Big 2 in the States are building old muscle car again just when the gas prices are heading North.

Dec. 21, 2012.............. :(