Sign in to follow this  
Hibernaculum

It's Not The "having", It's The "getting"..., Does your collecting get out of hand?

G'day,

I'm just going to throw this one out there...

Have any of you ever questioned your collecting, and felt a bit ashamed by the realisation that you get a real "high" out of buying stuff, but that once you've got it the excitement fades away, so you immediately start looking for your next purchase? :unsure:

The subject title sums it up best.

Discuss :D

Personally, I have felt this in the past. A little.

The best thing to do is force yourself not to buy anything for a while, and get back to the basics of enjoying the simple things. I've bought two vintage kits and $600 worth of parts in the past couple of weeks, and I feel like searching eBay again already :D But instead of that, I'm going to settle down today in my hobby room and do some minor detail paintwork on my new-built Monster Beetle. Just something relaxing and simple. And cheap :blink:

H.

Yep, guilty as charged !

apart from several key items in my collection, I have to say the bigger buzz for me is in the chasing of the bargain.

The getting is good too, especially like I say some key things, but for the majority it's the thrill of the hunt.

We move house next week, and I have a really nice space in the new place, so that will help me focus on the things I want to display.

I searched for a long time ( well it felt long...) for some old Mardave stuff, I finally found EXACTLY what I'd been looking for about a month ago, since then I've been looking for another, possibly even more exactly like what I wanted... crazy.

The best thing to do is force yourself not to buy anything for a while, and get back to the basics of enjoying the simple things. I've bought two vintage kits and $600 worth of parts in the past couple of weeks, and I feel like searching eBay again already :D But instead of that, I'm going to settle down today in my hobby room and do some minor detail paintwork on my new-built Monster Beetle. Just something relaxing and simple. And cheap :unsure:

Its easier to buy another than it is to finish off the project that we already have. :blink:

I too have bought things in the past which I just had to have, only to realise that not long after my intrest has moved on.

Im now in need of more storage space for other (non rc) projects, therefore considering selling off most of my cars.

Yup. Nothing like a shiny new box to get me going. I've lost count of the number of times I can say "oh, I used to have that"

Is human nature for good or for bad. We just cannot be satisfied once we own it, we want more, which is sad in a way. I have stop RC, for now, but got into die-cast and the collection is getting up there. I check out the local die cast shops pretty well each week and is tough not taking one home. We have learned happiness is ownership of material and not from within. Maybe buying is instand gratification and in a pressure cooker world we want releaf fast. :D

With two Optimas,two PB Mini Mustangs,gold tub RC10,Rough Rider,Scorcher,Ranger,FRP chassied Hotshot,a sandrail SRB,Ford F350 on a Wild Dagger chassis all unfinished and im still buying more,its like some sick greedy addiction when you think about it :D

Ive got more wheels and tyres than Quick Fit.

I see stuff i dont need or want but still buy it thinking i`ll use it one day.

I get all the bits i need to start the car i want,and it ends up in a box waiting to be sorted....then i do it all again with another one.Then i spend hours looking for something i know ive got but dont know where ive put it!

I`ve got cars i`ll probably never get round to using or looking at again now its in a box so i should sell it on....but cant let go.

I too have experienced this phenom.

I am thoroughly ashamed of it aswell.

I would like to think that im not in anyway greedy or selfish,but i have had the pangs of guilt when i am waiting for an ebay win to arrive ,excited with the expectation.....only to "set it aside" when it does arrive!

2 mins later im back on ebay.....scrounging for the next "fix"!!! :D

I have since had the time to reflect and actually finish some projects and at least savour some of the experience.I find it is far too easy to get side tracked with new parts/ideas for the neverending new projects.

An example of this craziness.....got frp Top Force parts,chassis ,shock towers etc.hmm i thought....i COULD get the parts so i COULD have the choice of making it into a touring chassis...a buggy....maybe get the TA02 tub....Il need 2 sets of gears now...etc etc!

Heres the killer tho...once i had made the Top Force...then the on road version,I realised that it seemed abit of a waste to run the on road and get it all scratched as i could only run it in a car park.

And the Top Force made me think i COULD get back into proper racing...but i would need the carbon chassis for that....and uj's...

then i realised that racing is good,but thats been and gone for me,and i like the idea of a scale runner!so now im fitting a Brat shell to the Ta02 to make a baja brat!this seems to be what i was after all along....sheesh! :unsure:

yeah, i've noticed that this game is more of an addiction than a hobby. i went from none to 17 models in just 18 months and i still want several more. i'm just fascinated with the blasted things and want to see what makes them tick. what are the differences, strength vs. weakness, what can i improve, etc.

about a year ago i got a 2wd buggy, then i wanted a 4wd buggy, then i wanted an older model 2wd buggy, then an older model 4wd buggy like the manta ray, then how about a mad bull, now i want an old school buggy like a fox or a hornet, and....

its like being a kid in a candy shop, except this is really expensive candy! :D

somebody stop me, jeez.

got frp Top Force parts

Would you like to make some money back by selling me your Top Force FRP chassis lower deck if you have one? I really need one. The carbon ones are easy to get my hands on but I really need an FRP lower deck for my Top Force.

To stay on topic, my friend Norman once said at our model Live Steam locomotive club that you have to stick to one project otherwise you never get any of them finished! Never was a truer word spoken LOL.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

hi Live Steam Mad,currently the Top Force is my kinda long wheel base Dodge Charger.I got my frp bits from JR-RC off Ebay.VERY good seller.if he doesnt list it he may be able to source it.I only got one chassis and that one is in use(its also got blue holograghic foil on the bottom to cover some scrapes!).

Had a look on Ebay and it does seem that the carbon chassis is avail....prob due to price!

I've definately been here. I'm always thinking up new excuses to buy more cars. There is definately instant gratification in buying new models or parts, and then the excitement of waiting for them to arrive... And in that waiting period, I'm already thinking about what else to order for my next project.

I've now got many projects on. I've got several models that need new parts to finish. I'm slowly getting there, but keep getting side-tracked by new ideas. I now have a pretty definite list of what I want / need to sort out over 2008, but I can't help but get excited about the prospect of more new stuff that doesn't fit that list. And I'm running out of space on my shelves. I need to fit some new high-level shelves in my living room to hold my runners, and need to invest in a new bookcase from Ikea to hold my touring shelfers. It never seems to end. Already I'm looking at projects I've only recently bought or finished and thinking "how much more space could I get if I sold these..."

I have just had some more parts delivered right now, but I promised myself a few weeks ago NO MORE NIBS or PROJECTS - just parts to finish off the ones I've already started. I'm sure I'll feel happier once I've got some things finished off.

Still, it's cheaper than what I used to do - and that was 1:1 car / motorbike projects.

At one time I had:

A Nissan Primera daily driver

A Jago Geep kit-car (running but unreliable)

A Mini Clubman Estate in the shed awaiting engine rebuild

A Suzuki GSXR-750 ratfighter (a useable running work in progress)

A Suzuki GSX-1100 streetfighter in the shed awaiting lots of work

Now I have just a Citroen diesel daily car (soon to be replaced with something a little more fun to drive) and a VTR-1000 Firestorm for carving up the traffic in the summer - and I feel so much happier for it!

Unfinished projects hang onto our conscience and drag us down. The more down we get, the more we need a "little fix". The more little fixes we buy, the more unfinished projects we have. It's a self-depreciating cycle that only determination can resolve.

Hi, My name is Paul and I'm an RC project addict, vintage and recent....

"Hiiiii Paaaaaul"

This thread is such a relief... I thought I was the only enjoying the search more than the ownership! I've managed to get better lately, but barely... I still have way to many projects in the works, but I'm trying to be more focused on my purchases now, and not start a new project before I get done with the last one. 2007 projects have included such a variety of stuff as a souped-up VLB (finished), a full restoration on an LXT, a full restoration on a Marui Hunter, a partial restoration on a decked out monster beetle (Thorp, CRP, AE, you name it it has it all) with body still to be finished, Losi XXX BK1 restauration, custom crawler on TLT, Mini Cooper Racing spec (finished but with a messed up body), Brushless Lancia Integrale Rallye (finished), Overpowered Kyosho Wave Chopper (finished but keeps melting the power wires... but fast as ****), Yokomo SSG-SD Special Drifter, Fine-tuned Losi MicroT (needs TLC)... and all this on top of keeping a real racecar(I mean, still 10th scale) competitve on the local racing scene... my wife is going nutz seeing all these boxes coming in on a weekly/monthly basis :(

Paul

Hi lonestar,as you say....its a gift....and a curse this Tamiya malarky!

I guess we now must hang our heads in shame,and repeat after me...

The first rule of Tamiyaclub is...you do not talk about tamiyaclub.... :(

seriously tho,i guess that is why some parts ( Q-parts) are so rare and expensive.as these parts tend to be the elusive cherry on the top that stops soooo many projects from being complete,and gives rise to sooo many new projects to soften the blow of the unattainable ,unfinishable current project!

As MadAx said,its very hard to break the viscious cycle! :huh:

tamiya addiction is a serious ailment.

currently, the only available treatment is to buy a NIB kit and complete in within 24 hours. this provides relief from many common symptoms of tamiya addiction, including nervous glances at other's showrooms, sweaty palms, daydreams about finding that 'mint' condition NIB sand scorcher for $75, and constant ebay surfing.

relief lasts approximately 24 hours, or roughly the time it takes you to complete the model. mostly because you are too busy to notice. individual results may vary. repeat as often as necessary.

please consult with your local tamiya dealer and pusher, the LHS before purchasing tamiya. please make sure you are healthy enough to use tamiya. do not use tamiya if you have a weak wallet, as serious side effects may occur.

side effects may include: loss of money, loss of spouse or significant other, sleeplessness, depression when its over, and a slightly goofy grin sometimes lasting for days. other less serious side effects may include: a serious lack of room in your house due to an enlarged work space, increased display area, and sleep-modeling.

use with caution. do not use with alcohol, as serious flaws in modeling skills can occur. alcohol may cause bad judgment while purchasing on ebay.

there is no known cure for tamiya addiction. :(

An awful lot of us are also addicted to this forum too :( This is what leads me to think that Roby, Miramar, and Theo will all be back here one day (I hope).

Cheers,

Al. G.

THATS WHY NIB ARE GOOD AS YOU HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH. UNTILL YOU BUILD IT OF COURSE. HOLDING ON AS LONG AS POSSIBLE STILL KNOWING YOU ARE YET TO BUILD IT.

aGHHHHHHHH

I was sort of running into this very thing myself.

Having to pack things up while we're in the process of moving house has slowed my time to a standstill pretty much, and I have been unable to get to purchasing parts for the Wild One or any other vehicle for that matter. Plus summertime brings out my urge to play with my real car. I go to a couple of Saab shows a year and the best ones are in midsummer. Not a ton of time for R/C tinkering.So that combination of things has broken me of this addiction somewhat. Kind of a bummer, but I'm saving $$$!

But...

Our new house is just having it's lawn seeded for the first time. Might make for a good track before too long!

Im currently the proud owner of 42 Rc Cars ranging from a FG Evo full race spec 1/5 down to a 1/32 Micro t with everything in between. 19 are Tamiyas and Im still looking for more. Its an addiction that takes up time space and money but would I give it up? NEVER!

I hate selling things because although I might not use it for years, as soon as I sell it I'll want one again and probably buy another one for more than I sold mine for. Thats how stupid I am.

I have to agree with you all the way. That is pretty much exactly how it goes. If I am not building I am buying, lmao.