Hey all,

I purchased one of the LunchBox kits 2 years ago, ran it for a few months, and put it away because I was frustrated with it. I wasn't having as much fun with it as my last car endeavor, my late RC10GT. Given they are 2 totally different platforms, but I finally decided it came down to the handling that turned me off. I'm out to correct that, and have searched on here and now plan on upgrading to better shocks and also eventually doing the 3rd shock mod on the rear. I've been searching for the Tamiya short CVA shock set and they seem hard to come by...nobody has them in stock..and can only be had overseas on eBay. I'm not crazy about ordering overseas......so.......can anyone here help me out with how long of shocks I should go with if I use a different brand? Are they sold in different lengths by short, medium, long, or are they sold by mm, inches....or whatever system you so choose to use. :D

Sry....seems like a basic questions....but I used to be more of a plane and heli guys.....getting back into cars with my kids.

Thanks,

Neo

im sure i read on the main forum that its the drag rods angle that induces the 'bump' steer, i think the solution is to fit risers to the steering knuckles

Luke

I don't remember the measurements offhand, but you can use other shocks of the same length. The cool thing about using the Tamiya shocks is that they come with all of the proper mounting hardware, so installing them is probably slightly easier. As for steering, I'm thinking about getting one of the upgrade kits that can be found on Ebay. I'd post a link, but I don't think that's allowed. :)

I don't remember the measurements offhand, but you can use other shocks of the same length. The cool thing about using the Tamiya shocks is that they come with all of the proper mounting hardware, so installing them is probably slightly easier. As for steering, I'm thinking about getting one of the upgrade kits that can be found on Ebay. I'd post a link, but I don't think that's allowed. :)

No prob.....I'm pretty sure I know what your talking about. I actually got mad enough at it last night I tore it down and fabbed up some better steering for it. I'm still not happy with it...but it is better. I'm trying to get a user set of shocks off eBay and put them in. $19.95 per set of 2 is a bit high for me....I can find something much better in that price range. :->

Thanks guys,

Neo

Lower the front suspension with shorter oil shocks than the recommended ones, and it'll steer better. Replace the stock tyres with some after market items too, and you should see an improvement.

Cable tie the front suspension arms together in the middle, this reduces slop in the suspension, which can effect steering control.

I've kept the standard steering on my crazy pumpkin, and it seems to do the job with those few mods :D

If the lunchbox steering is anything like the Bear Hawk (and I assume it is, being at the cheaper end of the scale), then the bump steer is induced because the steering arms are of fixed length directly into the servo from the ball joint. When it goes over a bump, the distance from the ball joint to the steering servo is changed, so the wheel deflects.

On my Manta Ray it's set up with a whole bunch of linkages and extra ball joints, so bumps don't affect it at all. I'm currently trying to fit a Manta Ray front end on a second Bear Hawk. Will let you know how it goes!