Sign in to follow this  
mongoose1983

Black Foot Tranny Q

I'm fixing a transmission of a Black Foot truck that was hit by a 1:1 car. Everything is ready now except for one small detail. The tiny inside shaft of the transmission is bent. Any clue as to how can I straight it up? It doesn't seem easy at all. The part number is BM1. Anybody knows if there is any problem when running the truck without this part?

Thanks in advance,

EB

--

you can't run with out it as your bevel gears will grenade ina short time without the support the pins gives. I have bent thing back by putting them on a flat surface and using a hammer to straighten

I have bent thing back by putting them on a flat surface and using a hammer to straighten

Thank you Shodog.

Actually, that was what I had in mind at first, but this is a rather hard piece of steel. I mean, not just like a regular nail... Bearing in mind it's a precision part in the tranny, if the thing is not completely straighten up it will certainly affect the runnning. Am I wrong?

EB

--

Try your LHS. They may have some spring steel the same size.

:lol:

bent shaft isnt a big deal just stick it into as vice and close the vice it will straighten it rite up and if it dosnt get perfect tap it with a hammer

bent shaft isnt a big deal just stick it into as vice and close the vice it will straighten it rite up and if it dosnt get perfect tap it with a hammer

Hiya Derek,

Welcome aboard, buddy!

It didn't took you long to feel like home in here. That's great.

Thanks and until next time,

EB

--

I had to rebuild my first Monster Beetle that i'd stripped as a kid and boxed up. 17 years later and parts were missing, i ordered parts from fleabay and the rest i scratch built. For the steel pin running through the bevel gears i used a heavy gauge sowing needle with both ends cut off! I got the needle out of a needle variety pack from a well known super market (te**o's!) As long as the section of needle to be used is the same diameter and length as the original shaft...... no problem! It's a case of finding a needle thats mid section is long enough. Don't forget, needles are very high grade stainless steel so your every day hack saw just skids off. You need to cut it with a high speed cut off wheel eg Dremel. Only last week i installed a set of re-release Frog universal joint shafts and gearbox joints.....The scrath built shaft came out after a years use in perfect condition with a total cost less than 1 !!!

post-24465-1214438808.jpg