Sign in to follow this  
SegaFalcon

Paint Scheme Question

Ill post it here as my Lb is a Re re.

Ive started painting my Lb up as a custom Van but I wanted to know something, would it look right if I had a graphic only on one side and then something else on the other?

Its just that it will be exstremely hard for me to transfer over the Scene decepting a Grim reaper in a Grave yard to the otherside without a possible mess up, Even with the Text Ive Written there shows a slight difference.

Ill show pics when its all done and Dusted, Ive yet to decide what to paint on the rear and I may possibly add stuff to the roof, also Im out of paint and money until Mid week.

Also is the Tamiya clear coat affected by the recall? and does it damage Enamel as all me detail work is enamel based so I dont want to wreck the paint

No one can tell me about it then? Graphic wise it might be better answerd by those in the US as Custom vans arent some common here.

Still need to know about the clear coat though so I dont screw up my Paint

Back when custom vans were popular, it was very comon to see a different image from one side to the other. Most were airbrushed and impossible to duplicate to exact dimensions.

So to be era correct, I would say heck yeah, do the reaper on one side and something different on the other side. Its your RC and you should be concentrating on what works for you and makes you happy anyway. Dare to be different, no matter who says or thinks differently then you.

If it were mine, I would do it different from side to side as well.

Cool, thanks for that I dont know quite what will go with the reaper though, perhaps a picture of the book of the dead.

bunnies?

vampire bunnies?

ahhh, the ether bunny! :lol:

seriously, i think a completely unique and asymmetrical paint job is totally cool and really goes to the spirit of customizing. symmetry is the hobgoblin of small minds.

go completely wild with your own design and it will look trick because it won't be just like all the others in the pack.

Even if you did a 'copy' of the already done side you can't see both sides at the same time to compare. To you who painted it every imperfection will stand out. For us who view it we won't notice. My Bro-Inlaw done his TA04 in that new green-purple metallic (changes green to purple depending on angle) and I thought it looked fantastic until he started picking out the imperfections like water droplets under the paint and crooked lines, no one else but him noticed them until he mentioned the stuff ups.

Alot of custom vans would mirror the image on both sides. So really they are not identical. I've not seen many with different airbrush work on one side to the other theme wise. Hit up google images for 'vanning', lots of ideas. Used to have a 1:1 van myself before the kiddies came along. I had airbrushed metal flake stripe patterns instead of a mural. I was tempted to mural it but too many friends warned me against it making it a 'marked' vehicle for vandals to scratch.

I almost think I should buy myself a LB from the bay and do it onroad hotrod style ("M" chassis). 1:12 tow car for my 1:12 boats.

Can't wait to see your reaper, sounds good.

Cheers, Mark

Why go for identical designs? As long as they don't look awful with each other it is just as good as a 'symmetrical' paintscheme. And the most important factor for a good result would probably be your painting and designing skills :lol:

Ive got a little more done, I just need the black and white paints now really to finish the Mural of the reaper and the close up on the rear. I havent come to a deciscion yet on what will be on the Double door side. Another dilema is those bright yellow wheels, they will look awful with the paint scheme as its very dark.

Also is clear coat safe with enamal paints?

wheels can be dyed or painted, but dye is better. can't wait to see pix.

HINT, HINT. :lol:

Ive got a little more done, I just need the black and white paints now really to finish the Mural of the reaper and the close up on the rear. I havent come to a deciscion yet on what will be on the Double door side. Another dilema is those bright yellow wheels, they will look awful with the paint scheme as its very dark.

Also is clear coat safe with enamal paints?

Yes, static model spray can clear would be your best bet. Im not sure where you are located or if its availble, but Testors brand is the norm and one of the best here in the states.

Ill see if I can get a Humbrol or Revvel equivlant then as Testors doesnt seem to be avalible here which was rather irritating when I started building a Few Aurora Reissue models.

Moneys in for the paint so Ill get a couple more cans today hopefully and finish what I have Started. The Door side remains blank still as Ive yet to decide the design.

I dont know quite where to get a plastic dye from, Hobbycraft might have them but Ill have to get my Parents to get it as despite the fact Im nearing 18, Im not allowed to buy it incase heaven forbid I sniff it or eat it. I can buy Petrol for christs sake what can the paint do to me thats worse?

So Normal clothes dye does it? I might have some somewhere :lol:

I don't know about normal cloth dye but i know RIT works perfect.

1.boil water

2.add dye

3.reduce heat

4.add plasic

and remember you can only go darker.

also its a good idea to use some fishing line loosely tied around the rim and fastened to a metal hanger for easy removal.

this may not be everyones method but its works fine.

Ill have a go at some point then as I either want black or Grey wheels which I will accent with Gunmetal and a Light blue

I've wanted to paint up a Lb in the traditional Vannin style for a long time. Geometrics, flames and scolops were semetrical but I've rarely seen a van with identical images on both sides. Many times the van had just one mural wraping it's way around the whole thing.

I'm very interested in seeing this project. Maybe you can post progress shots as you go?

Id need to locate a Camera first and its now most of the way through. Ive got my Sony Handycam though so Ill do a Video of it insted, with music and everything.

Ive now got more paints, Im toying with the idea of a rotting corpse or something on the other side or the Gates to the after life over the doors.

Can someone translate 'Death is apon you' into Latin or send me a link to a translater that can?

All I need is those words translated and the Clear coat applied and then youll get your pics. Im missing the sunroof though as it was broken by the previous owner

Nex est super vos

i think that's right; my latin is not great though. nex = violent death / murder personified.

also ok would be mortis; less violent, more natural.

pictures?

I havent sorted a Camera yet theres a few bits left to do, being the wheels and a replacement sunroof