Sign in to follow this  
Wrc action

In Line, Not A Chance.

Hi guys, Im having a few issues with my Support trucks leaf springs on the front - Namely a habbit to bend back every time I take a strong jump or clout something which is becoming tedious as it always tracking out now :@

Its running on highlift leafs with one extra leaf so they are pretty medium on compression overall and a mix of articulation and high speed stability, Any ideas as I know my leafs are a little old but Im hoping there are some stronger leafs out there?

Cheers

Ryck

I've heard great things about "plastic" leaf springs from the crawler crowd. Think they are lexan but not sure (not pulling your leg- honest!)

Someone like TWINSET might be the chap to ask?

What shocks are you running Ryck?

Maybee ad a stabiliser bar on the diagonal to prevent axle wrap?

Or stronger shock oil?

Or Harder Springs if your running them in or on your shocks?

Or bite the bullet and four link the bad boy! No more leaf problems then :lol:

I might well do ryan. I think it will need sorting as its gettin a little annoying. I mean I know it happens when i hit things but that is going to happen as its off road and over rocks and roots etc its going to snag.

@Dready - its the stock highlift shocks, not sure what the oil in them is as I didnt build them.

a stabilizer bar? that sounds interesting, have you got any pictures on that one for me?

Im reuctant to go for the 4 link as its not something that any dakar truck uses in real life to my knowledge and from my experiance with them whilst they are better for articulation they are not so good for speed running and you also have the fact that should I add some spares or other items to the truck then I will have issues as the shocks and there rates will not be ideal then.

Cheers

Ryck

Namely a habbit to bend back every time I take a strong jump or clout something

I'd say that was perfect "scale behaviour" :lol:

On a more serious note, are you saying the spring curvature gets inverted ?

You could try something like a limiting strap from the fixed spring mount to the bottom of the spring shackle.

Do you have rubber bump stops ? Something you will find on 1:1's that may not be replicated in model form.

My 1980 Hilux had them strapped to the spring pack where the U bolts are on top of the axle.

A corresponding plate behind the shock mount gave a very simple mechanical travel limiter.

Ive had same problems with my hi-lift, the design is basically ****. The shackle that moves is at the front when really it should be at the back. When you drive up something the axle wants to move back slightly, but cant cos of the fixed shackle. Therefore it bends. I need to Mess with mine really and cure it, or just 4-link it.

Shackle at the front ? :lol:

OK I checked the Hi Lift manual, yep it's at the front :lol:

I suspect it's been done that way so the arc of the suspension movement doesn't bind the drive shafts, but it's very much at odds with the 1:1

Ryck, are your shackles on the front or back of your springs ?

Swapping them round won't necessarily solve your problem, but it might help.

Mine are built as per the highlift manual. Tho I might well look at it and see if it works with the drive shafts.

I think the rear has the shackle at the back and they arent having any problems so i might change the front if i can and see what happens.

Cheers

Ryck

@Dready - its the stock highlift shocks, not sure what the oil in them is as I didnt build them.

a stabilizer bar? that sounds interesting, have you got any pictures on that one for me?

check your hi-lift shocks have got the little springs in them.

here's a pic of the little stabiliser bar that is suppose to stop the axle wrap.

It's not on my truck so i cant comment on effectiveness.

post-18200-1214058522.jpg

Your not alone i have bent 8 so far! So i have fully four linked mine to save my wallet any further discomfort!

and here's a thread with loads of info on hi-lift suspension.

Hi-lift Suspension Thread

Shackles at the front on the front springs is the same as a 1:1 4x4.

Axle wrap has been an issue on high lift 1:1 4x4's for ever too. I've seen links between chassis and top of the diff centre casing fitted to stop it, also tramp rods fitted under the the leaf spring (eats ground clearance). Thicker material for the main leaf helps, but makes everything stiffer.

Multi-link the diffs is really the only way to keep your pinion angle correct and not have to worry about axle wrap. One of my neighbours races a 350cui Chevy V8 powered lifted Toyota Landcruiser, he has added both the multi-link and coil springs to the leaf spring setup. Very complicated suspension but it seems to work and he's not breaking a leaf every outing now.

Cheers, Mark

Looks like the Hi-Lux ones are on the rear of the front spring.

Never played with a 1:1 Hi-Lux before. Landcruiser and Jeep are mounted on the front and assumed Toyota would use the same setup accross both vehicles. Position of the shackle won't change the bent spring caused by axle wrap of the diff wanting to rotate.

If both Hi-Lux and F350 are to the rear makes you wonder what chassis Tamiya were building the high lift for.

I didn't know the LC was different, all the leaf sprung 4x4's I've come across are rear shackles :lol:

While I've been hunting those pics I've not seen anything with front shackles :o and that list includes Land Rovers, Jeep Wrangler, Chevy C1500 and so on.

Yeap. I did too. Hehehe

Maybe Mr.Tamiya has a Jeep and Landcruiser moulded body in the works to match the chassis layout and fit the high-lift. We can only hope. High lift Jeep would have me running to the store.

Yeap. I did too. Hehehe

Maybe Mr.Tamiya has a Jeep and Landcruiser moulded body in the works to match the chassis layout and fit the high-lift. We can only hope. High lift Jeep would have me running to the store.

You could allways use the proline t-max bushwacker body on a hightlift if he dont, i know its not the same as an abs one but good enough till they do one if they do :o

ryck a few on scale 4x4 are running derlin leafs i read a bit back , ive never ran my yota with springs in the dampers or got the stabiliser to stop the axel wrap and its been ok upto now , the only thing ive done is put cable ties on the leafs to make sure they dont sag as i heard they do once they have been well used .

CAD

The other difference besides where the shackles are from a 1:1 is that most of the Hi-Lifts travels is upwards, on a 1:1 with leaves there'll be more downward than upward travel. A leaf sprung Land-Rover has about 2-3" of up travel but 2-3x that downwards.

Here you go Ryck i knew i'd seen it somewhere.

Reversed Shackles.

post-18200-1214233867.jpg

There fitted on Box Stock Hi-lift Chassis Rails Too :P

The other difference besides where the shackles are from a 1:1 is that most of the Hi-Lifts travels is upwards, on a 1:1 with leaves there'll be more downward than upward travel. A leaf sprung Land-Rover has about 2-3" of up travel but 2-3x that downwards.

How did you get a Moving Sig Matt>?

forget the plastic leafs

they are weaker so won't hold up a heavy rig like the highlift

and

they break after a bit even on a lighter rig used for scale trails.

On 1:1's if the shackle is forwards the truck "dives" under hard breaking and tends to be ill handling for street but offroad works well with no ill effects.