taliesin

M-03 Tires

my mini is just eating the tires alive; anybody got any suggestions for a good tire - suitable for parking lot bashing / unprepared tarmac?

are slicks a realistic option for dusty parking lots with little bits of sand / gravel?

ralleye blocks?

i'm at the end of my tether here; i'm going as easy on the throttle as i can, and trying like the devil to not slide the thing, but ... driving a mini means wheelspin and lots of it.

any help appreciated!

Well.. It depends what you expect of the tires... Do you want them to last long or do you want them to have maximum grip?

I personally like the standard tamiya radial tires for daily use, it drives nicely and doesn't wear too quick. I haven't tried others yet, but I heard several people saying that ABC hobby has some really nice tires for M-chassis cars...

I've got some Xpress tyres on HPI wheels if you're interested - nice firm compound. Should last a while...

I hope those become available in the US soon! I mostly just want them to last; grip isn't that important because I don't race. Its just me, a mini and a parking lot. maybe some cones. The blasted things just have to last more than 6 battery packs before coming off the rims in pieces. :D

HPI's X-patterns used to be good... easily 100 packs (SportTuned) and they'll still not be wornout.

But availability dwindled and the new formulation/s weren't as grippy, zero consistency worst of all.

HPI's X-patterns used to be good... easily 100 packs (SportTuned) and they'll still not be wornout.

Wow, that's crazy. My mini goes completely through a set of tires in maybe 6 packs racing on tarmac with a hot silver can.

I recently used a set of the new 3racing mini tires and liked them. The traction level is somewhere between the kit tires and the Type A slicks (more towards the kit tire level) and at $8.33 for 4 (with foams) you can't beat the price.

http://www.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=2228

i'll try a set of those too! :blink:

i just got a set of gently used slicks off fleabay. they are in nice shape, so i'm curious how they do for grip and wear. i've always wondered if they would be ok for parking lot bashing, or if the dust and debris would make them impractical. now we'll see.

ps: why did the quality of HPI go away, and why are all mini tires getting hard to get? it seems like the mini class is alive & thriving, so what's up with the lower quality and supply problems? is this some kind of manufacturing supply problem or is it just a case of the manufacturers moving on to some other product / field?

Willy is correct, the Team Powers tires are very much THE mini tire to have at the moment.

And no they currently aren't available anywhere else apart from Harris RC in Australia - http://www.harrisrc.com

At this stage I believe there is an exclusive distribution deal in place initially, with other outlets able to get them 'sometime in the next few months'

But they are very good tires (especially the 36's) and they last forever!!!