taliesin

Drive It Like You Stole It!

So, I was just wondering - what car do you thrash without mercy? And how does it stand up?

I'm not talking about jumping over houses, or seeing how fast you can drive a car into a brick wall to see if it will break into a million pieces [DUH, ya, it'll break :blink: ] I'm talking about the car you always grab for some serious fun - one battery after another, day after day, month after month.

For me its the DT-02 Sand Viper. At first I was non-plussed with the car; it just didn't handle very well. But with a little experimenting and some fine tuning the buggy just kicks butt. I am always amazed when it flips over or cartwheels and nothing breaks. I even hit the front A-arm on a metal sprinkler pipe at full throttle once; it just bounced off with no breakage. Unbelievable. I jump it like crazy, over & over, and still it keeps chugging right along, happy as can be. I've only chewed up one set of gears and I think that was because the stock pinion just wore out and ate the spur. And a few wings because oddly enough it doesn't roll so good on its lid. :D Other than that it just thrives on hard use.

I've noticed the same things about the stadium blitzer / thunder that I recently bought. They don't have enough hours on them to be absolutely sure, but they seem bulletproof so far. Very basic, but very strong.

What's your favorite "drive it like you stole it" car?

My original Schumacher Cougar 2 Team car fits the bill..... it's been through puddles, bulldust, mud, stones..... and I'm not known for my cleaning!!!

Great buggy, rough but reliable.

Alex

the one i use and anyone else who says lets av a go, is a mardave cobra, bought for a tenner from a boot sale, added my own radio gear and off it goes, 2wd fun

I've just bought a Losi [sorry] Desert Truck- as I live near the beach and have some proline paddle tyres :D

Never had a Losi before so see what happens. It's gonna be my basher.

My brushless E-Maxx. But somehow, it can't stand heavy abuse. Something will break at the peak of the fun. It can't even last one full set of batteries.

Anyways, this time around. It will be my E-Revo. I'm gonna drive the badword out of it like I stole it from a police officer.

Well all of them are given a dam good thrashing when they go out but out of them all my TB01 probably gets the hardest life as I really do drive that like I stole it hanging it out on the corners and in the rough stuff.

Cheers

Ryck

Anyways, this time around. It will be my E-Revo.

Jelous! Let me know what's it's like as I really want one badly! Either that or the standard Revo.

E-Maxx every time. Broken it once due to crystal issues (my mistake) but it's taken everything else I have thrown at it :D

Has to be my Munchkin.

It's been flipped, rolled, run up and down kid's slides, jumped, crashed, even wedged in a fence.

Only damage so far is a split bumper & a cracked wheel rim, bumper has been superglued, wheel has been solvent welded.

And it will be coming with me on holiday & get some beach time :D

My M03 spends a lot of time barrell rolling. The Swift body is proper strong though. The chassis appears very robust too, even with bigger 1/10th wheels.

Originally this was always my lexan-shelled Blackfoot Extreme. With a Super Stock BZ and full bearings, this thing was a beast - only had very few breakages despite the massive number of battery packs run through it.

However, it all went wrong when I decided to start upgrading. It now has 4 wheel drive, twin 550s, 14.4v, allu chassis, allu arms, oil shocks... And nothing seems to work right together. Every time I run it I have more problems. I have never got through a set of batteries since it's been 14.4v. Something always breaks or comes loose.

I now have the serious problem that I had to use automotive threadlock to hold the G-made wheelnuts on, and now I can't get them off to replace both of the front swivel hubs that bent like cheese on their first outing...

My HPI Savage, the poor thing. Not broken anything due to a crash landing... yet. Bent the handle/rollbar a few times badly. Not tried to jump the house yet... I have jumped the car a few times (Falcon wagon longways), and over my head. 40mph into a table drain then sail through the air and land tumbling. Takes every bit I dish out. It's the only one that really cops punishment. The Tamiyas are all driven nicely and now I have the Mamba toned way down they don't break at all.

Wonder what the wife would say if I started building a ramp beside the house...

Mark

Two cars I drive like if there was no tomorrow:

1- my VLB... which is modded with 5 oil shocks, reinforcement bars on the chassis, modded steering, 23T motor, and metal body posts! The latter one was the key enabler to make it a "no holds barred" car otherwise the chrome parts bill just goes thru the roof. Now I can barrel-roll it 10 times in a row and nothing breaks anymore, so I drive it brainlessly!!!

2- my rally Integrale TT01, jacked up with oil shocks, and using TL01 external transmission parts, alloy center shaft and motor mount, and a brushless Speed Passion Exige combo... with 3S lipo cells. Fast as ****, although absolutely undriveable due to the power and the positive camber thanks to the higher ground clearance (remember the TT01 is designed as an onroad car) , but fun as badword and cheap to replace too, shall it have to go to the bin (which shouldn't take long given the level of silliness I drive it with haha)

In the past I had an LXT I used to take to BMX tracks... it would break rear a-arms mounts on a weekly basis, and the car's been fully restored now, so no more running :D Likewise, my Schumacher Storm went to quite a few BMX tracks too with a 15x2 and 7 cells, and I have stopped counting the number of times I bended the pan-fry chassis back in place against my knee by weighing on it... these were the days when I didn't care much for symmetry, droop, and masss balance... ha, the good ole days, really :lol:

Paul

The car that gets the most abuse is my Falcon, it's fully ballraced, with 15turn motor, mtronicks tempo esc and lowered 1/4 inch all round to stop the rear driveshafts from popping out. It eats my mates Hot shot & Baja Champ for breakfast. It eats rear tyres too!!!

the second most abused car is my King Blackfoot with a 17 double motor, LRP esc, fully ballraced & oil shocks & home made wheelie bar. It spends most of it's time with the front wheels in the air and it just kinda floats over the rough stuff...Awesome!

My TC3 road car gets a real bashing. It's what I let my friends drive. Just yesterday it did so many cartwheels after blindsiding a curb I would have thought it would explode into thousands of pieces.. But no damaged.

I'd have to say the new bright rammunition that I got from Goodwill for $7. Stuck 8 cells in it and it went everywhere; over rocks, through muddy ditches, everywhere. That is, until my bro drove into the house and stripped the steering servo. I'm definitely not hard on my hobby grade RCs. I like them too much.

Losi LST2 and Ofna LX Comp. 6 gallons on the LST2 and never broke a simgle part. 8 gallons on the Ofna, had the Force 26 over 350*f for 5 back to back tanks and it kept right on goin, that was around 4 gallons ago and she still starts on the 2nd pull everytime.

I beat the tar out of my Twin Det and Clod Buster regularly. I've sent that Clod over embankments that would make a person cringe. The tops have popped off the shocks, but oddly I have yet to break the anti-rotation gearbox bracket.

Currently, my favorite whipping-boy is my Grasshopper. It just got a serious horsepower upgrade too (17t mod) so I see even more pain in its future. Eventually I won't be able to glue the body shell back together anymore and I'll have to replace it with something Lexan, but the chassis is holding up well. I think I'm going to beef up the steering linkage, just for a little insurance.

I would drive my Lunchbox a lot harder, but since I repainted it, I don't want to roll it over!

I've had a few cars over the years that thrived on pain - a TL01 Mustang, a King Blackfoot, and a Traxxas Stampede to name a few. The Stampede especially just made me want to drive it hard; I'm not sure why. Maybe because it seemed flimsy, like it ought to break, so I kind of took it as a challenge. But the worst I was ever able to do to it was break an upper suspension link.

stampede!

can take a serious amount of abuse (even with brushless) and keep going and going like the energizer bunny! ;)