Sign in to follow this  
Mad Ax

Any Rc Boat Fans Here?

Firstly wasn't sure if this belonged here or in Outside World - if it's in the wrong place please move, thx :blink:

Just wondering if anyone on TC is into RC boats. I've been building RC kits and custom projects for a couple of years now and fancy doing something a little different, have got a couple of planes but never have the weather/confidence/time to use them and they're too big for the lounge so they sit in the loft. With the current weather in the UK, I thought getting into model boats might be more appropriate!

Recently there seems to have been a huge influx of non-scale non-branded RTR stuff that doesn't interest me but obviously sells well, since the internet is full of it - which is hampering my search for interesting kits to build.

Any advice for brands or models appreciated. I'm not after something stupidly fast, just something with a scale speed and that will look nice on my shelf. Mostly interested in classic or modern speedboats or pleasure boats - not warships, tugs or sailing yachts.

This looks absolutely gorgeous, although the "kit" is ARTR:

http://www.rchobby.co.uk/small_ready_to_run_riva.html

or this might be an interesting starter - much cheaper and easy to make RC with bits from here and there, without much expense if I decide boats are not for me:

http://www.rchobby.co.uk/radio-controlled_model_sports_.html

Any other interesting models or manufacturers to look for would be appreciated :blink:

Never been into boats but I bet you could make them go real fast, one thing for sure theres plenty of water about x

Hiya

Yeah Iam into Boats my first boat was a scratch built version of the Playtpus like a swamp boat with the motor (Fan) mounted on top with a servo attached to 2 stering rudders I has a 1cc petrol engine out of an old plane mounted in it I use to launch it in a river it went great especially when there was a wind and slight waves she use to just fly over reeds anything really .The only drawback was when it ran out of fuel and I would get the row boat out to retrieve it ..I miss that old scratch built boat . :blink:

I also like the Batteships club most guys build their Battleships out of Balsawood and they use air compressed cannon's (guns) with ballbearings in them they shoot each other up until all the ships on one team are sunk (they have floats tied to their ships so when they go down they can find them) they go out and get them bring them back slap some patches of balsawood to cover up any damage put on some dope for water proofing and a lick of grey paint and then they are back at it ....so cool to watch 30 Battleships going for it mayhem on a massive scale i gotta get me one :blink:

Right now I think I could sail a boat down the gutter at the roadside :o

Swarm, your swamp boat sounds cool. I did a similar thing when I was younger - I had the inflatable section from the middle of a pool-dinghy, to which I attached a plastic base and large rudder made from Lego. I then made a Lego motor mount, and attached a silvercan 540 complete with 6" prop, Tamiya MSC, acoms radio and two servos - all attached with celophane tape!!

It was brilliant in the swimming pool where I used to live, but not really what I'm after right now ;):blink: :blink:

Shodog bought one of those Riva`s, it`s in his showroom.

I heard some of them had slight delamination problems.

I have a few boats from a NIB Tamiya EX40 to a 23cc Zenoa powered 56 inch super V,

top fun.

I really like running boats (Beer, BBQ, Summer (?))

But they have taken a bit of a back seat these days.

Only advice to give you, cos I learned the hard way is:

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THOSE RTR PIECES OF *%&

Seriously- You'll hate it, and form an opinion on that part of the hobby which just isn't fair. Pound for pound the best speed wise is a 700bb turbo (graupner) and 12 cells (2 stick packs is fine)

Mono hulls are the easiest to set up and get right for surface piercing, so thats the way to go. Oh and anything available with 6 cells and even an uprated motor that you can buy from a modelshop will be a dissapointment. Kyosho do one (can't remember the name right now) that a 12 cell boat, or the traxxas one, they are both good starting points, and good to learn from. The Katja is slow, and very basic.

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/

Great for FE stuff, and good service on the phone, although you'll only get hold of him in the evenings

http://www.finedesignrc.com/hardware.asp

Great site based in the states

oh or the Robbe Magin 1 is a really good boat for starting, as it self rights (bonus!- no swimming) and has a really good hull design

These people are one of the cheapest in the UK for kits:

http://www.amodelworld.co.uk/

Have fun- And gimme a shout if you need anymore help

Ryan

Thanks for the links Ryan :blink:

I'm quite attracted to some of the wooden-hulled speedboats that I've seen on your links, although they're not 12-cell powered... I'm not really going for massive speed (I've got buggies for that :blink: ), more something that will look great on the shelf and be fun to run from time to time. I don't actually have any good water near me but might take a boat out to the odd meet where there are watery areas. It's more a "wow doesn't that look nice" than a "ooh isn't that fast" thing, which is why I'm very much liking the Riva Riviera ;)

Ok matey- Well at least It would be light- I always fancied one with a cheapy brushless motor/ esc combo from china, and 1400Mah (light) 6 chell packs. A friend has a all balsa cabin cruiser with brushless and lipo (cheap from a Chinese heli) and it zips along really well! I was shocked!

Oh and how ever long you think the build will last [for a wooden boat] double it and add 2 days!! I'm used to building gliders and the like, but air-proof and water-proof seem quite diferent!!

Cool. TBH I think the Riva is supplied mostly RTR, there doesn't seem to be much construction involved apart from adding electrics. This is fine for me since a) I'm a muppet when it comes to wood and 2) I mostly want it to go on my shelf looking gorgeous :blink:

Yeah, my first RC purchase back in 1990 or 91 was the Tamiya's PT-15, the torpedo boat, and the leopard tank together. Can't remember which I built first. I still have the PT-15, which need some fixing up. Is very detailed, not particularly fast with the stock motor, but good enough, me think. My other boat is by Grauper, is faster than the PT-15 but not as fast as some of the other boats I have seen.

I like the way the hull cuts through the water at high speed with the wake and all plus the banking for turns. Is a total new experience over road vehicles. I am no speed demon so I prefer detailed RC boats/ships over pur speed boats.

I've got a few boats chap.

Really into nitro airboats and powerboats, but I've also got some leccy ones too, you'll have to pop round sometime and look round the garage!

Got a few nib's on the shelf as well.

post-5300-1215620870.jpg

Ive got three boats at the mo, A traxxas Villian with mods, a Fibreglass hulled single prop racing boat with a brushless and my favourite, a graupner jet boat with a 3star nosram brushless. Its fun but when we ran a lipo in it it blew the coupling to bits so its currently waiting a new one. MORE POWER!!. We've had to gear the other boat down cos it was melting the wires due to the load, now its very fast. This is the Jet boat:

n1245451677_80910_9788.jpg

And in action:

I really like the RC fishing boats. You can actually catch fish with them!. I was amazed.

34fy2o9.jpg

Yes.... rc boats, great fun. Had various ones over the years. Can highly recommend the Robbe Florida for scale looks and speed -amodelworld has her for great price too. even better that it's 1:10 scale! Trailer anyone?

Am liking the look of Grupner Jet boats very much there is a U tube vid with one being used in a fast running stream.

That Miss Bud would be great with a Gas turbine fitted.

I have a few boats, none were kits. I get 1:1 plans and build them from balsa and other timbers in 1:12 scale. Not for speed really, scale running. Had been nowhere to run them for years here, now it's been raining heaps and all the dams are full and I've been having a blast.

img20319_29042008011740_5.jpg

TA-Mark_Inboard_Ski_Boat_11.jpg

TA-Mark_Sabot_Sailer_01.jpg

Am still working on the last 2, lots and lots of sanding.

I have a some old boat building books full of older plans, sailers, powerboats, houseboats. Mainly 60's and 70's styles. The Ski-Boat and Sabot were from these books and modified slightly. F1 boat I designed in 3dsmax. I'm working on another twin hull in 3dsmax, very radical design that should be very fast and stable.

Cheers, Mark

Thanks for the infos all :)

Very tempted to buy one of Robbe's cheaper kits just as a taster to the world of boating, then maybe get something bigger / more expensive if I like what I'm doing and want to go faster.

That looks awesome! Probably not a great idea for someone with my woodworking skills but maybe once my car projects have quietened down I might give something like that a go...

I got into rc boats before I was into rc cars, so yes, I am a boat fan! However, the only boat I've got is my Kyosho Wavemaster tunnelhull, up'd with a Trinity Monster Maxx 550 motor.