reenmachine

Is There A Front Spool That Fits The Tb-02?

I've been racing my TA-05 with a spool and realized a drastic improvement on our track. I'm putting together a TB-02 as a Vintage T/A racer and I'd love to put a front spool in it as well. Is there anything that will fit?

there where a few made by aftermarket parts companies alternatively you can just drill out and fit a big bolt in the middle wtih 2 small bolts either side to prevent rotational twist.

3-reardiffremoved.jpg

there where a few made by aftermarket parts companies alternatively you can just drill out and fit a big bolt in the middle wtih 2 small bolts either side to prevent rotational twist.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, but those outdrives are fragile enough as it is without taking away the give of the diff. My TA-05 spool has hardened steel outdrives.

that is an issue, however unless your using it everyweek then you should be able to last a pretty long time between needing to replace the diff, which what be that expensive as you can get 2 pairs of diff outdrives for less than a 5'er to your door.

Cheers

Ryck

It'll be raced, so it certainly will see some abuse. I already have some spare cups so I'll probably try the above approach anyway. I just wish there were something nice and beefy!

i wind a 5mm width of strapping tape on the edge of the TB02 outdrives... about 10cm worth = 2-3 layers will stop them splitting & breaking to a large extent

Won't the #49359 Evo IV drive spool fit the TB-02? I think the Evo III/IV and TB-02 all have interchangeable diffs?

Probably a bit hard to find now though.

- James

Won't the #49359 Evo IV drive spool fit the TB-02? I think the Evo III/IV and TB-02 all have interchangeable diffs?

Probably a bit hard to find now though.

eIV spool does not fit eIII/TB02 even though the eIV uses the eIIIse's diff outdrives

eIII balldiff & oneway are 22.5mm wide between the bearings

eIV's gearcase is 24mm between the bearings and the spool is made to fit that;

when using the diff/oneway the difference is made up by shims

yeah the eIV spool is discontinued but in high demand 'cos it fits the e5 :D

Well, I came across a new spool for the TB02 on eBay recently and ordered two. They fit and work perfectly! Aluminum body with hardened steel outdrives -- the perfect spool IMO. I am a happy camper.

TECH Racing part number TBD010.

tb02-spool.jpg

did Tech recently manufacture a fresh new batch or are these new old stock?

As far as I can tell it looks all new. The price on the package is 2,400 JPY if that's any indication. Plus, it's marketed towards drift use (in the rear of the car) and I think that's a relatively new phenomenon.

As far as I can tell it looks all new. The price on the package is 2,400 JPY if that's any indication. Plus, it's marketed towards drift use (in the rear of the car) and I think that's a relatively new phenomenon.

Interesting, maybe they will do a EVO4 spool since the EVIL EVO5 owners bought all the EVO4 spools/now discontinued :(

Can somebody explain what the spool does for me? I don't quite understand. :P

What are the advantages vs. disadvantages compared to a ball differential?

spool is a locked/solid diff so both wheels travel the same speed

racers used oneways in front so you can floor it out of corners without losing traction,

but oneways also lose your brakes in the front so it can get dicey trying to slow down.

A spool will give you both traction and brakes.

Drifters like to lock their rear diff for better drift consistency, so a spool can be used at the back too.