loaded

Watch Out For Clodman - He Is Bitter And Spiteful

What a mook! Brilliant on the refusal to accept. The only thing that will really happen to him though, is he will have to pay shipping again, but if his postmaster is cool, like mine, he/she will just let that slide and give the package back to him. But the customs form has a tracking number on it and it will show it was returned, so PayPal should go in your favor, they will refund you the full $950 and pull that full $950 amount from him and keep the transactio fees for both transaction. Thats why they will likely decide in your favor, it means easy dual fees for them. PayPal is a bunch of crooks.

Only if there is anything in his account to refund. If he's withdrawn it then you may not get anything that way. Chargeback on your CC is the best bet if you funded it that way through PayPal.

Dear all,

ebay suggested I telephone the chap - so I did. I am not sure how often transaction get to this stage and then an international call ensues, but I made the call and he was home!

He states that he was in hospital having heart surgery and that the item was sent by a friend and that he mistakenly put $3000 instead of $300 on the ticket. I pointed out that this had a customs import implication and he said he understood this. He also stated that Paypal had taken the money out of his account and that he thought I had the money back - which isn't the case, but at least that tells me that the money is in limbo, waiting for me, perhaps.

I have left it, after what was a pleasant, non rude telephone conversation, in his hands. Frankly, I think he was shocked to badword to hear from me! If the heart surgery question is correct, lets face it, many people do have operations, then I had better not call again, as I don't want to scare him whilst he is recuperating.

Part of me is very sceptical of such things, the other part of me thinks that there is always a chance that something like this did really happen and that I am troubling the guy on his rest bed.

Why not respond to the emails, or close the Paypal dispute though?

Any thoughts, questions?

Paul.

Sorry havnt read the whole post :blink: But could it be possible that if he really has had heart surgery he has been away from a computer or has been unable to respond or read you messages?

dazaa

Benefit of doubt just for a few more days. Then, if he's still dicking around, give him another heart problem :blink:

Too many idiots out there.

Even if he has had heart surgery, I somehow don't believe that the customs form said $3000 instead of $300 by accident. Incidentally, it was he who suggested the figure of $300, not me. I simply asked him what amount he was putting on the customs for, so I could be prepared, but he didn't answer. The communications were already strained at this point, as he was annoyed he had missed the terms. He stated on the phone that he felt it should be insured to $300 as he was paying for shipping.

All the best, P.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing, and I let you know what you should do in a couple of weeks!

Does he have good feedback?

Ask for his Medical records?! :blink:

Oh I dunno. Depends how you approah life as to whether you'll go all out to hang him up to dry (It is your money/ his agreed deal after all) or let it slip (maybe he is ill?)

Maybe it's the oldest trick in the book.

Hindsight. That's what we def. need here!

Even if he has had heart surgery, I somehow don't believe that the customs form said $3000 instead of $300 by accident. Incidentally, it was he who suggested the figure of $300, not me. I simply asked him what amount he was putting on the customs for, so I could be prepared, but he didn't answer. The communications were already strained at this point, as he was annoyed he had missed the terms. He stated on the phone that he felt it should be insured to $300 as he was paying for shipping.

All the best, P.

I suggest, just let it go and move on. We are in this hobby for fun not to hold a grudge. In the end Clodman is only one out of pocket other than your time and we all in a way learn something about others and ourselves. Might as well focus our energy on the next purchase :lol:

Hi there,

I would love to, but at this moment in time I am missing $1000 :-)

Paul.

Sorry, my mistake I thought you got your money back already and if you are still $1000.00 out than need to be resolved. Hope everything will work out find in the end.

:( Top two common excuses of all time:

1. Health related problem

2. Computer related problem

My computer blew up and injured my leg. I have been 3 weeks in hospital, only just seen your email.

Also my PayPal account has been hacked, my mother died, and my dog needs surgery.

Honest.

...and while in the hospital, I have someone ship your item. I don't know when it was shipped and how come it got the $3000 value.

Honest.

maybe he's home alone...

under house arrest...

for mail fraud...

can't go 30' without his anklebracelet going off...

and he's banned from the 'net...

...? :D

Hi all,

Just a final update from me on this matter. I received a full repayment on this item and when the Dollars were converted back, I made 50 :-) This was due to the Dollar strengthening over the 3 month period.

There was a period of 3-4 days when the item was actually still here in Czech and I could have had it returned to me (for the Customs fee, plus a storage fee of about $20) and Clodman would have never got his kit back, but I am not the sort of chap. I then watched it track back to the states, I believe he has it now.

Thanks for your support - it is a shame when people get like this.

Paul.

Hi all,

Just a final update from me on this matter. I received a full repayment on this item and when the Dollars were converted back, I made 50 :-) This was due to the Dollar strengthening over the 3 month period.

There was a period of 3-4 days when the item was actually still here in Czech and I could have had it returned to me (for the Customs fee, plus a storage fee of about $20) and Clodman would have never got his kit back, but I am not the sort of chap. I then watched it track back to the states, I believe he has it now.

Thanks for your support - it is a shame when people get like this.

Paul.

50 over 3 months, not a bad return! An unconventional investment style but anything to beat the credit crunch!

I know what you mean, I had a really messy deal with a Yank over my TLT, again an offer and the fact that his postage was more, Took ages and he did the customs wrong, $200 rather than $175 meant I got slapped for 33 in total. not as much as yourself but still annoying to say the least :@

Hope you get it sorted, paypal should come dwn on your side (hopefully)

Cheers

Ryck

What does "a Yank" mean?

Mark Twain used the term Yankee in literature (can't remember which book and he wasn't the first, origin possibly native American for Coward - eeankee), generally it refers to residents of Union states (not workers Union) although nowadays it can mean any American.

Shortening the word to Yank is considered rude, however, as it also refers to past time enjoyed by certain young men.

During the Iraq war, Cockney rhyming slang developed even further to cover some people's attitude towards the American involvement in Iraq, creating a new term 'Listerine'. As some of you know, Listerine is an anti septic oral mouth wash. For many years, the term 'Septic', short for Septic tank referred to Yank (as in an American). Listerine is an Antiseptic, meaning anti American. So therefore we go from Listerine to not liking Americans. I only point this out to show that 'Yank' is considered derisory on our side of the pond.

Cockney rhyming slang always uses the first word rather than the second (the one that doesn't rhyme) intentionally to distract the police in case anyone was listening they wouldn't understand. Such as 'butcher's (hook)' which is look, 'Apples (and pears)' stairs and so on. Some are apocryphal and others are modern and some are funny, but real Cockney rhyming slang goes back many years.

Paul.