Sign in to follow this  
VagabondStarJXF

What's Needed To Construct A 1/10 Track?

I've just been searching for a local place to run my 1/10 Electro On-Road RC's and, after seeing some old complaints about track conditions (and how much it'd cost to repair/resurface) on one forum, I got to thinking...

What's needed to build a decent 1/10 racing track?

What kind of asphalt would be used?

Is there a grade of asphalt that's fine enough to be a 1/10 scale equivalent?

How compressed would the surface need to be?

How many layers would the surface need?

How often would the track need resurfacing?

What equipment would be needed for the build?

How would the red and white track edgings be done?

What's the maximum track size-radio range ratio?

How much would all of this cost?

And if you were to build your own track (assuming that you had the money and space to do it):

How far would you go to make it to scale?

Would you put road markings?

Would you choose a famous race track to base your own track on?

If yes, which one?

Would you make the red and white tyre barriers?

Would you include the gravel and sand pits?

Would you add a pit lane (also to scale)?

I'm not saying that I have the space, time, money, skills or intention to build my own track. I don't have any of those. Anyone out there given any of this any thought? Or is there a forum member out there who has any experience in asphalt usage or track building (1/1 or 1/10 scale)? I know it's not the usual kind of question asked on an RC forum but I'd just like to know, y'know?

not sure about most of your questions, but have day dremt about having a track if ever I was lucky enough to have a huge garden, it won't happen but nice to dream!

All I know is would probally want 'off road' sections off main track like a rally cross track so could run all sorts of cars, would have to include the monaco hairpin somewhere & would probally surround track with scale looking plants like conifers for damage limitation.

Nice to dream, I have to make do with the car park at the back of my house!

not sure about most of your questions, but have day dremt about having a track if ever I was lucky enough to have a huge garden, it won't happen but nice to dream!

All I know is would probally want 'off road' sections off main track like a rally cross track so could run all sorts of cars, would have to include the monaco hairpin somewhere & would probally surround track with scale looking plants like conifers for damage limitation.

Nice to dream, I have to make do with the car park at the back of my house!

I know what you mean. It'd be cool to have your own track designed specifically for you and your cars. My ideas would take up too much room though! :ph34r:

For my On-Road vehicles... I'd have a purpose built 'mountain side' all decorated with scaled plantlife, drains, crowds and working streetlamps, just so that I could try drifting the downhill at night. :D The mountain would also double as a standing point so that I could see over the rest of the track from a decent height. It'd have a semi fast, medium length racing track (for Touring and F1 racing) which would be surrounded by a large racing oval (for Stock Car and Indy 500 style racing) and have a long straight right down the centre (for Drag Races). It'd all be decorated to scale with all the stuff you'd expect around race tracks (Dirt run offs, pit lanes, tyre barriers, etc.). The only pieces of serious equipment I'd have are the stuff for lap timing and speed measuring.

For my Off-Road vehicles... I'll continue to take them out into the real world. There's a few flat grass parks local to the area where I live and there's a few places with very large dips and dirt bowls around my brother's area that we used to bash around. The only thing that's missing is a dedicated stunt arena... ;)

Oh to dream such a dream!

Which reminds me... I must buy my lottery ticket again! :)

I've just been searching for a local place to run my 1/10 Electro On-Road RC's and, after seeing some old complaints about track conditions (and how much it'd cost to repair/resurface) on one forum, I got to thinking...

What's needed to build a decent 1/10 racing track?

What kind of asphalt would be used?

Is there a grade of asphalt that's fine enough to be a 1/10 scale equivalent?

How compressed would the surface need to be?

How many layers would the surface need?

How often would the track need resurfacing?

What equipment would be needed for the build?

How would the red and white track edgings be done?

What's the maximum track size-radio range ratio?

How much would all of this cost?

And if you were to build your own track (assuming that you had the money and space to do it):

How far would you go to make it to scale?

Would you put road markings?

If yes, which one?

Would you make the red and white tyre barriers?

Would you include the gravel and sand pits?

Would you add a pit lane (also to scale)?

I'm not saying that I have the space, time, money, skills or intention to build my own track. I don't have any of those. Anyone out there given any of this any thought? Or is there a forum member out there who has any experience in asphalt usage or track building (1/1 or 1/10 scale)? I know it's not the usual kind of question asked on an RC forum but I'd just like to know, y'know?

Hi Mate I have acres and am going to build an RC 1/10 track soonish in the back paddock ..Ask TA-Mark he has his own track not asphalt thou hes is off road a wicked setup too .There is a SiG on the home page RC track owners not many of us in it but check out TA-Mark's track ask him some questions hes a great guy Iam sure he would be glad to give advice on his experience ;) ....Cheers

Stuart

If yes, which one?

only 1 track rings in my head, the Nordschleife. The terrain irregularity should be replicated, without the trees however, to aid driver vision from the driver stand. The pit would need to be relocated to an actual pit.

otherwise R11 from GT1 and Complex Ring from GT3 (the later may be a bit too big and long)..

Hey you are not far from the West London RC track or the Aldershot RC track both hosted National Meetings this year

West London

http://www.wlrc.co.uk/

Aldershot

http://www.aldershotmodelcarclub.net/club_track.php

Go race and they will answer your questions. I think you need a couple of things though one is a very very big wallet ;)

Paul