reenmachine

Tamiya Shock Oil Colors...are They Consistent With Viscosity?

I've got a bunch of the little bottles of shock oil that have come with various Tamiya kits. They all just say "Tamiya Damper Oil" on them with no mention of weight. One larger bottle that came with my DT-02 says "Damper Oil Soft". They are ALL the same color, sort of yellow-ish -- does this mean they are all the same weight? If so, what weight are they? Tamiya wouldn't make different weights of oil the same color would they?

I wondered this too, in the shock oil kits (both the old 2 bottle & newer 3 bottle types) yellow is listed as 400wt.

I recently bought a super mini cva kit with clear oil which is listed as 900wt.

different colours show if the oil is soft or hard yellow is the softest and clear i think is the hardest? off the top of my head!

Soft set - Red 200

Orange 300

Yellow 400

Medium - Green 500

Blue 600

Purple 700

Hard - Pink 800

Clear 900

Light Blue 1000

Hope that helps <_<

OK, so what I'm trying to confirm is that "yellow is yellow is yellow" so it's all the same, soft yellow 400.

On a related note, what's up with the numbering system? For example, is Tamiya 800 equivalent to 80 weight from other brands such as Associated?

OK, done a bit of digging, from what I've found in other forums etc, yellow is always 400wt, even if it's not marked.

For reference, here's the full list:

53443, soft oil set;

200 - Red

300 - Orange

400 - Yellow

53444, medium oil set;

500 - Green

600 - Dark blue

700 - Purple

53445, hard oil set;

800 - Pink

900 - Clear

1000 - Light blue

The whole house of cards still falls down of course, just because it's yellow, doesn't means it's Tamiya <_<

thanks guys got just the info i needed. A bit confused that my shiny new M-Chassis (54000) damper kit came without any at all. As it says for standard set up use #400 oil

Does oil go off? as i do have some oil the right colour/ weight that these shocks recommend using. The thing is its from the early nineties! And came with my Falcon.