Hibernaculum

Perfect, Box Art, Original Rc10?

Does anyone happen to know where I could find pics of a perfect, original RC10 done like the picture on the box art?

I'm sure I saw one in the TC showrooms a few years ago, but now I can't find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? :)

No compromises - must look just like the box model ;) But not many seem to be like that...

cheers,

H.

Thanks Terry, much appreciated as I didn't realised they'd put that PDF together - very cool.

Although it's missing the driver, and the wheels are silver. So I'd still like to find a truly accurate box model example...

cheers,

H.

Wait, I'm confused. The pdf file says: "We still have the original buggy used on the box cover, but the wing is missing. Here are several

recent photos for those who want to paint the body to match the original."

So, this means what? It's the buggy and body from the cover? I don't have an original box so I don't know.

Yes, it is the car/ body they used for the box-art on this box.. (It looks like a different car though)

(please excuse the condition of the box...)

post-5814-1217417729.jpg

OK my first question regarding the RC10! ;- Why is the driver pictured here on the box art ;-

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp...007211736_8.jpg

...so different from the Kyosho style rather rotund gent pictured in the manual on page 56 ;-

What exact driver figure do I have to buy to match the original box art RC10 ?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1221358819.jpg

Why is the driver pictured here on the box art

...so different from the Kyosho style rather rotund gent pictured in the manual on page 56 ;-

becasue the kit driver isn't used :lol:
What exact driver figure do I have to buy to match the original box art RC10 ?
Wouldn't know exactly, buy looking at the picture start with the Sand Scorcher driver.

Well I just got out a Tamiya Ford Ranger F150 XLT driver body and a Tamiya Frog driver helmet and put them together and got a fairly close match to the original RC10 box art driver. Would still like to know the exact driver figure used though of course.

Pic's below. I added the Sand Scorcher driver body and steering wheel for illustration, to show that it's unlikely that that one was used because the steering wheel is so much bigger compared to the RC10 box art.

BTW why was my post with all the links to the showroom box art boxes removed? I mean what's the point of having a reference if the mod's go and delete the references?

As in, specifically, which exact TC rule did I break?

I don't think that anyone would have been bothered about having their showroom looked at, after all that's the WHOLE POINT of having a showroom, surely?!

I put the list up to help everyone, including me.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1221432367.jpg

post-6936-1221432390.jpg

OK now that I have compared them carefully, the Frog helmet / XLT driver body is much closer to the box art driver than the Sand Scorcher one used by that guy on the previous page that I posted. In particular the XLT body has a substantial neck which the SS one does not have, and the upper arms / shoulders on the SS also do not match the RC10 driver. The XLT body is a much closer match. However the helmet modification that that guy did is similar to the RC10 driver. Looks like I need a visor mod. then!

Pity I don't have an RC10 to go with it LOL ;) .

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Hey I just found a guy who has copied the box art exactly regarding the driver ;) ;-

http://www.gassaninedesigns.com/id55.htm

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Yep, that's definitely the sand scorcher driver body used there. Compare it with one of my replicas

img297_30102007001416_5_350.jpg

The helmet used is from one of the F1 cars (no screw hole in the top in the buggy figures).

This shot of the car from a Futaba ad shows the arm shapes are the same as the Sand scorcher figure.

post-1332-1221437883.jpg

BTW there are many other differences between the box art car and the actual RC10 kits. Shock clamps, rear shock lower spring cup, different tyres, fibreglass gearbox brace and battery stays, different rear shock tower, different antenna mount, clear gear cover, modified nose plate.

gx7R0ft0-ddaa16c833b034875fc9b22876da7f49.jpg

And I was the one who deleted your post. This is an old thread and the discussion had finished 6 weeks ago. Your post didn't add to the information but was, as you say, just a list of the boxes in the showrooms which can be easily found by going to the Associated section of the showrooms and choosing NIB, or even the box art reference. If you had found an exact box art replica in the showrooms, such as Jimmy Storeys near replica would certainly have left it up.

This shot of the car from a Futaba ad shows the arm shapes are the same as the Sand scorcher figure.

Similar yes, but I am not sure they are the same. For example surely the hands are too close together and the buckles on the seat belt are also too close together (unless someone did a cut and shut job on the driver ;) ). At least from what I can tell in that low resolution, compressed image.

Do you have a high quality scan of that whole advert, with a separate scan showing a high resolution, high quality view of the area around the driver figure? Anyone? That would be very helpful in particular. I did quite a search and could not locate the advert anywhere else and I don't have many magazines from the approx. 1984 or 1985 period, and certainly none that show it.

BTW which exact magazines / issues did that advert appear in?

BTW there are many other differences between the box art car and the actual RC10 kits. Shock clamps, rear shock lower spring cup, different tyres, fibreglass gearbox brace and battery stays, different rear shock tower, different antenna mount, clear gear cover, modified nose plate.

Many Thanks for that information Terry, as I am merely a novice on the RC10 at the moment but I adore the box art.

And I was the one who deleted your post. This is an old thread and the discussion had finished 6 weeks ago. Your post didn't add to the information but was, as you say, just a list of the boxes in the showrooms which can be easily found by going to the Associated section of the showrooms and choosing NIB, or even the box art reference. If you had found an exact box art replica in the showrooms, such as Jimmy Storeys near replica would certainly have left it up.

Err, OK, "my bad, I guess".

I had completely forgotten that there was an "Associated" section on TC.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1221450452.jpg

Ahh, the Rough Rider driver's side profile fits nicely as well it seems! ;-

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp...007195816_2.jpg

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=67135

...this is from quincunx's showroom.

I reversed the picture below to be able to compare better to RC10 box art ;-

RR driver plus helmet visor mod. talked about above would seem to solve it quite well. Looks like they may have used the spotlights from the RR kit as well? Obviously due to copyright they couldn't put them into production so they went with a Kyosho lookalike large rounded driver instead ;) !

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1221491459.jpg

Do you have a high quality scan of that whole advert, with a separate scan showing a high resolution, high quality view of the area around the driver figure? Anyone? That would be very helpful in particular. I did quite a search and could not locate the advert anywhere else and I don't have many magazines from the approx. 1984 or 1985 period, and certainly none that show it.

BTW which exact magazines / issues did that advert appear in?

The picture was taken from a scan over on rc10talk.com. I have actually scaled it up and tweaked it to show more detail. The ad was used to advertise Futaba radio in RC Car Action in the late 80s.
Maybe it's a Rough Rider driver?

...this has the hands closer together like the one in the picture and the steering wheel is about right.

Definitely not a Rough Rider driver. Below is a picture of my repro driver figures. Figure on the left in white is the Rough Rider driver figure, notice how thin the arms are, and that there isn't enough height on the arms as the figure is cut off at that point as it is normally moulded into a flat plate. Sand Scorcher figure in grey has the same shape as the Futaba ad and is the exact same figure used in the gassaninedesigns replica.

img297_30102007001416_2.jpg

Even more close up pictures of them from several angles in my showroom here

Discussing the steering wheel is a red herring, anyone can make a steering wheel as big or as small as they want by how long a piece of O-ring they use to make it with.

Obviously due to copyright they couldn't put them into production so they went with a Kyosho lookalike large rounded driver instead
It would never be Associateds intention to sell the RC10 with an injection moulded driver figure, just like they never sold the kit with separate window mesh, nor did they include the spotlights. Associated had been including vacformed drivers in their kits for many years previously.

I seem to remember that someone (on RC10talk.com maybe?) said that the tyres were changed for the production car compared to the box art car. I think I may have finally tracked down the front tyres, they seem to be from the AYK Buffalo (3 thin straight ribs either side, and 1 thick straight rib in the middle) ;-

http://www.vintagercweb.com/ads/buffalo_ad1.jpg

Also look at the rear tyres on this car, they look the same as the RC10 box art tyres!

On RC10talk.com ISTR there was mention of the box art tyres needing to say "GOODYEAR" on them, and the ones here match as far as I can see ;-

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48297

(look at the 1st post)

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Hmmn, the Goodyear bit maybe a hard nut to crack LOL. Turns out it looks like this guy's Buffalo has got early Scorpion tyres on it with square spikes on the rear!

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...21&id=24856

But the actual Buffalo tyres look very much like the RC10 box art tyres?!

Goodyear box art RC10 tyres are here ;-

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&...642&start=0

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=67490

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&...p;view=previous

Box art reference ;-

http://www.theshreves.com/rc_stuff/manuals...front_cover.jpg

http://www.theshreves.com/rc_stuff/manuals/ae_rc10/

OK time for me to read up and find out about what the deal is with these box art tyres...

Cheers,

Alistair G.

I just found that there are also tyres made by brand " Proline " which are called " Champion " that also seem to be very similar to the box art ones ;-

http://www.rcmagvintage.com/reviews/retro/...dscf1465rw8.jpg

http://www.rcmagvintage.com/reviews/retro/.../associated.htm

I really could do with a high resolution scan of the cover of the RC10's box (on all sides). Would anyone care to oblige me? Please?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

I reckon that the driver body is not a Sand Scorcher driver but more along the lines of a Ford Ranger driver body as mentioned earlier. Looking at the box art driver, his hands are far closer together than the Sand Scorcher driver.

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

Sand Scorcher and Ford Ranger

DSC00344.jpg

Side Profile looks right. Harness strap in correct place.

The box won't physically fit on my scanner, it's not in A1 condition either, plus it saves files as pdf files which i'm unable to do anything with.

I could scan it in sections if you want and email you the files.

Hi Martin, I agree that the XLT is a closer match than the Scorcher driver (though it may still not be the exact driver used). Look at the Blitzer Beetle / Scorcher driver that I hand held (took a picture of the screen). The arms dip way down and then back up. Doesn't fit the RC10 box art driver. To my eyes at least.

Actually I just last night asked these pertinent questions to Gene Hustings. We'll see if I get a response. I was a bit late joining the topic as I only just found it, but he has given lots of RC10 info. there before ;-

http://rc10.net/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4...f&start=120

Wish we could get hold of Roger Curtis as well. Gene designed the wheels and tyres, Roger designed the rest of it.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1234283477.jpg

The box won't physically fit on my scanner, it's not in A1 condition either, plus it saves files as pdf files which i'm unable to do anything with.

I could scan it in sections if you want and email you the files.

PM coming your way Martin :)

Cheers,

ARG.

OK RC Martin was good enough to pass on to me some decent scans of the box art (though he can't seem to work out how to scan in a higher resolution, which may have helped). They came as 9 PDF's. I screen grabbed them at 100 per cent zoom in Acrobat, (" Print Screen " on PC, it's a shift function'ed key on a PC keyboard) and transfered them Photoshop, and saved them as JPEG's with no loss of resolution and low compression.

They are the 9 scans below.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1234315398.jpg

post-6936-1234315411.jpg

post-6936-1234315424.jpg

post-6936-1234315436.jpg

post-6936-1234315448.jpg

post-6936-1234315458.jpg

post-6936-1234315468.jpg

post-6936-1234315478.jpg

post-6936-1234315489.jpg

Whilst I am about it, I would like to point out a few things that I noticed on the box art.

The Front tyres have a line at the top edge.

The Rear tyres also have a line at the top edge.

The Rear tyres have heavy temporal blur on the front of the box as they are spinning. However on the side of the box the tyre has been taken off this same car. It has both the line at the top edge, plus it appears very much to have the markings of "YEAR" as in GOODYEAR .

Both front and rear tyres have a centre mould flash on them (protruding line).

The driver's helmet seems very much to say " TEAM ASSOCIATED " on it.

The speed controller is either the Novak NESC1 or NESC4 .

The cells are Sanyo N1200 (SC ?) and are yellow shrink wrapped NiCd's.

I can't recognise the receiver used?!

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1234316350.jpg

post-6936-1234316362.jpg

post-6936-1234316373.jpg

post-6936-1234316385.jpg

post-6936-1234316399.jpg

post-6936-1234316409.jpg

post-6936-1234316419.jpg