Sign in to follow this  
Suraido

Budget Basher

Hi

I want to get a off roader for a bit a bashing around my local woods,I basicaly want somthing that is cheap and fairly durable with spares available, the option to hop it up would be a bonus. I'm not after serious performance I just want somthing thats FUN and will help ease me back into the hobby. I have a budget of around 100 but I can spend a little more for the right car. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you go for a buggy, and if you're happy to buy second hand, a Dark Impact off eBay might come in at around that price and would fit the bill very well. For a bit less you can pick up a Manta Ray/Blazing Star which is a bit older but still decent. The cheapest option would be a Baja Champ/King, but a search of the forums will tell you that most people would recommend against them (personally I found one quite usable).

Or, you could go for a stadium truck like the Stadium Thunder - pretty cheap, very durable and good fun.

All that is assuming you want to go with Tamiya...

Thanks for the info :D

I should have put I'm happy to go down the used route, I would preferre it to be a Tamiya but I would go with another make if that was the better opton. I should also add I would like to go with a ST/MT over a buggy

I would go with another make if that was the better opton. I should also add I would like to go with a ST/MT over a buggy

Nitro or electric? I picked up my Traxxas T-Maxx for 90 posted and that is great with plenty of ground clearance for off-roading!!

Matt

Nitro or electric? I picked up my Traxxas T-Maxx for 90 posted and that is great with plenty of ground clearance for off-roading!!

Matt

Definitely electric.

Get a DF01 (costs 55USD NIB if you search well on ebay) - great fun to drive, clever assembly (easy accessable diffs etc), cheap and very reliable (I have damaged my TA02 rally car/basher, but all were racks that don't really influence the integrety of the car, and none of the parts really broke so far).

I think it would be well worth you looking at the Traxxas cars - the Rustler is a stadium truck, the Stampede is a monster truck. Both are basically the same but with different main chassis piece and they share most of their components with the Traxxas Bandit buggy too. The current XL-5 versions are good and only about 130 ready to run ( except batteries ) brand new, delivered from ModelsportUK. The older versions make good bashers too and often turn up CHEAP on eBay. - As the design hasn't basically changed in years spares are easily available should you break something. I run a couple of them and they've been great fun.

Hi

I want to get a off roader for a bit a bashing around my local woods,I basicaly want somthing that is cheap and fairly durable with spares available, the option to hop it up would be a bonus. I'm not after serious performance I just want somthing thats FUN and will help ease me back into the hobby. I have a budget of around 100 but I can spend a little more for the right car. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Id go with a Dark impact, there are loads of hop ups you can get

If you go to stellamodels you can buy one brand new for under a hundred pound including delivery, have alook at there web site

http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/defaul...t=2a&page=1

Owning all 4 Tamiya modern buggies, I would say best 'bang for buck' is the DF03 in whatever body shape takes your fancy (Dark Impact, Keen Hawk, Avante MkII).

For the bare minimum to make it run well, it is also the cheapest being fully ball raced from the box.

DF01: (Blazing Star, Manta Ray) Needs bearings (Lots) and the sets are the most expensive of the buggies. Needs an alloy motor mount as the plastic one breaks very easily (GPM - TA02). This chassis suffers when you bolt in fast motors (Trust me).

DF02: (Rising Storm, Gravel Hound, Plasma Edge) Needs 8x 1150 bearings for the wheels (Why Tamiya didn't fully ball race has me). This buggy is great on the flat, well balanced and quite efficient. Drags it's butt over anything not so flat and doesn't land so well from a jump being so low to the ground. Very simple kit to assemble (Took me under 4 hrs to build the chassis). Bonus of a TEU101BK ESC in the kit.

DF03: Hardest of the bunch to Build (Tamiya instructions are excellent and makes the build easy if you follow carefully). Build and enjoy, no hopups needed if on a budget. Many hopups available when the stock car feels too slow.

TL01b: (Baja King, Baja Champ) Ummm... Yeah. Great comical value, the body looks nice. Spend a small fortune to get it somewhere close to the above 3. Entry level for 6yr olds.

All need batteries, electronics and chargers etc.

The cheap chinese Tamiya clones are suprisingly good value when you can get them cheap at auction. Comes with everything you need to run except the 8x AA transmitter batteries. I paid $0.99 + Postage for mine (No-one else bid). The plastics quality is nowhere near that of Tamiya or any other brand, but you get what you pay for.

IMHO... DF03 all the way.

Cheers, Mark

i would say a traxxas rustler

they are indestructible and pretty fast right out of the box. lots of hop ups and every shop in the known world should have spares.

they are very user friendly and easy to drive, maintain & repair. they run in dirt, on pavement, in the woods, jump well - whatever you throw at it. [or more likely, whatever you throw IT at. :lol: ]

the stock speed control can handle something like a 15t modified motor, which is screaming fast compared to the already quick stock motor it comes with. fairly inexpensive upgrade that pays HUGE dividends in speed and FUN.

flux density has just put a very nice Blitzer Beetle in the traderoom - would fit your budget nicely - great cars too...

Thanks for the replies :)

I have narrowed it down to a Rustler or DF-03 and coming all the way from leftfield a Lunchbox. :wub:

Thanks for the replies :)

I have narrowed it down to a Rustler or DF-03 and coming all the way from leftfield a Lunchbox. :wub:

Cant go wrong with a df03, if your going to spend money on a rustler then you really should have a look at the new firestorm e-flux first, its very tasty and brushless out of the box.. but its hardly a budget basher then again neither is the rustler, the DF03 ticks all the boxes and wont break the bank, unless you go crazy like I did :)

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/10553/

Have a look at the ReReFrog - almost bulletproofet and if your not going to race it against modern rc-cars lots of fun.

Or the ReReBrat which brought me bach into buissnes ;-)