Sign in to follow this  
Swarm

Removing Or Painting Over Chrome Wheels For My Ww2

Hi guys Iam about to start my Wild Willy2 in anticipation of the arrival of my Wild Wendy

I want to paint the wheels Gold that means removing or painting over the existing chrome plating ,I have heard oven cleaner would work to remove the Chrome plating but might cause the wheels to go brittle as oven cleaner is caustic ...So whats the best way to do this job give the wheels a light sand to rough up the plating and tidy them up and undercoat them before applying the gold paint ?.Any ideas are welcome guys :blink:

Thanx in advance.

Stuart

Hi guys Iam about to start my Wild Willy2 in anticipation of the arrival of my Wild Wendy

I want to paint the wheels Gold that means removing or painting over the existing chrome plating ,I have heard oven cleaner would work to remove the Chrome plating but might cause the wheels to go brittle as oven cleaner is caustic ...So whats the best way to do this job give the wheels a light sand to rough up the plating and tidy them up and undercoat them before applying the gold paint ?.Any ideas are welcome guys :blink:

Thanx in advance.

Stuart

Id say sand paper...you would have to rough the surface anyway even if you stripped it. Just finish with a high grit. IE: 200 (one direction) 400 (the other direction) 600 ..you get the point all the way up to 800 grit to smooth it out nice. Then again I usually do things the hard way so dont take my advice :D

leave the chrome alone, just degrease it

go get a can of TS Clear Yellow and spray over the chrome

if you bodge that, then get EasyOff and strip everything off & paint gold over that

although i'd probably prefer a set of Lunchbox yellow wheels to put gold on

One or two trips through a dishwasher will strip chrome plating

Yup. I found out the wrong way, looking for an easy way to clean the wheels from dirt :blink:

Good old lighter fluid works a treat! I find you only need to use wet and dry paper on the exposed edge surfaces. Then a real good scrub with hot water and washing liquid to de-grease.

Daft question - are Lunchbox / Pumpkin wheels that same size as Willy2's? B)

Swarm's question made me think of the very bling edition of Vanessa's LB, which included gold wheels.

Daft question - are Lunchbox / Pumpkin wheels that same size as Willy2's? B)

Swarm's question made me think of the very bling edition of Vanessa's LB, which included gold wheels.

Not daft at all.

Same size, but a different fitment, WW2 wheels are 12mm hex, VLB use the old 5 peg like MB / Blackfoot (and of course you can trace that ancestry all the way back to the SRB's)