Sign in to follow this  
ninjastar

Drifting/upgradding Tt 01

Hi I just bought a xb pro built tt 01 and wanted to know what do I need to buy or mod to make it start drifting? Well I heard of using pvc or elextric tape for tries but what can I do to the tt 01 it self to make it better in drifting? And what can I buy for the tt 01 itself to mod and make it last longer?

Thank you for all your help

First upgrade should be a set of bearings, followed by an aluminium driveshaft and better suspension. If you then find you need more grunt but don't want to change the ESC, a sport-tuned will give you a small bit more power

Matt

Whats better pcv oe electric tape as tyres? And what can I do to make my drifting longer?

ABS/PVC tires will allow you to run longer before they wear out. For drifting longer, once you've got a sufficiently smooth ride (bearings, suspension etc.), you'll just need practice. Concentrate on throttle control at first. Then combine that with subtle counter steering as you slide and you should find yourself doing really long, continuous drifts. For me the key is subtle control and not shoving the controls from full lock to full lock.

So what else do I need to buy and mod? If possible can you post the link on what kind is it. And I was wondering what does locking the diffs do?

As above:

First the bearings kit then upgrade your drive shaft and suspension. I think eBay is the easiest place to search for these. I got the bearings kit for my TA04 via eBay. I get most of my upgrades via eBay actually! :rolleyes:

I recommend the TRF Special Dampers (#42102 or #49355). I use medium weight oil with the 3 hole plunger and medium springs on the front and hard on the rear. I don't know if that's optimal for drifting or not but it works for me. There might be more info on damper setups somewhere on this forum so do a search if you want to know more. Once you've got those you can get some ABS drift tires. I recommend getting a few sets (Packs of 12, 3 sets of 4 tires, are out there). You'll need to practice and the more you practice the quicker you'll wear out your tires. You'll go through them even quicker if you run on rougher tarmac, obviously, so try to find a smoother running surface. Other than that I can't think of anything else but I'm sure there's more info on drifting somewhere on this forum so do a search if you want to know more.

Locking the diffs... I haven't done this to any of my cars so I'm not entirely certain if locking your diffs is necessary or not. Maybe someone else can answer this.

Thank you for your help. But how can you tell when your diffs are locked? Cause the way I lock them is that I used fuel tube.

well, those sushi drift tires look pretty cool with the rounded edges - that can't be a bad thing for drifting. it seems like it would stop some chattering caused by catching sharp edges on stuff. try a set and let us know what you think - its a pretty small gamble and might be a really cool product.

avoid the tamiya D compound drift tires - they have too much grip and are hard to drift with - i wish i had bought ABS instead.

oil shocks are an absolute must for drifting - i tried using the stock pogo sticks for drifting, and it just doesn't work that well.

cheers

The rounded edges will definitely help. I've gone through quite a few sets of ABS tires that didn't have rounded edges and had to replace a lot of them way before they wore out just because the flat edges got gouged out by the imperfections on the road. I tried out the Streamline ones which have a rounded edges (just like the Sushi's) and I've not had that problem since.

The Tamiya Drifts... I didn't think they were bad although I have to agree that it's a lot easier to slide your chassis with the ABS. In fact I sometimes get annoyed at how lazy I feel drifting is when I'm using ABS but maybe that's just me! ;) If you are going to use the rubber drift tires like the Tamiya Drifts or HPI Drifts then I highly recommend upgrading to a 15T drift motor (or 17T at the very least), getting an ESC that can handle a hotter motor, and practising like mad. You will find it a lot harder to keep up a continuous drift with either of those tires because of the increased grip but it's a lot more satisfying when you get it right. I've yet to try out the HPI T-Drift tires and my HPI Super Drifts haven't even seen a road let alone been on one (I got them for display and they just look so nice 'n shiny when new! :P). They might be a lot better for drifting with the slightly hotter motors. If anyone on here has extensively used the Super Drifts or T-Drifts could you post up your opinions, please?

Okay I did what most of you guys said. my diffs are locked, I upgraded to ball bearings, and I have abs tires. But one thing thats hard for me to do now is hard to control it while drifting? Does anyone have any tips on how to? And what else should I mod/buy?

But one thing thats hard for me to do now is hard to control it while drifting? Does anyone have any tips on how to? And what else should I mod/buy?

Get the aluminium driveshaft. When drifting, don't wobble the stick (assuming you use stick transmitters) too much, use smooth movements and you'll find its a lot easier to drift.

Matt

Thank you for ur help.

what chassis is this guy ussing for the tt 01? and what other parts other than the motor and esc is he using? After I buy the main shaft( or make one) what hop ups should I buy?

HI well my dad and I built the center shaft and a center brance. I replaced the ball bearings and I have abs tyres. But now I dont know what else to upgrade? Should I start buying all the alumim parts? Is there any metal/carbon fiber chassis for the tt 01? What should I do now?

Is there any metal/carbon fiber chassis for the tt 01? What should I do now?

I wouldn't go for all the aluminium parts, the only ones I have on mine are a front gearbox cover to put more weight on the front and the aluminium driveshaft. I would upgrade the steering as the stock TT-01 is pretty ****. 3Racing do a carbon upgrade for a TT-01 but they're not cheap at around 50 plus P&P. A member on here is selling a TT-01 with a carbon chassis conversion on ebay atm.

Matt

I drift a virtually bone stock TT01, its only upgrades are the alu prop shaft, alu motor mount, oil dampers and a faster motor. I have messed about with settings on it and have it almost perfect, my setup is listed below. You dont need anyother hopups as drifting your putting virtually no load on any other parts, even steering is fine. Use spare cash for a better motor and decent drift tyres, those ones linked to earlier look great. (may have to invest myself as mine are wearing down now)

Rear Suspension: Very hard springs and dampers filled with heavy weight oil, thick anti roll bar fitted

Front Suspension: Soft springs and light weight oil, NO anti roll bar

Rear Diff: Locked

Front Diff: Open

I use pvc type tyres and on carpet its great, could do with a little more traction on tarmac but still very good. I will have to get a video done of it soon.

img280_07062007172356_1_350.jpgimg280_07062007172356_3_350.jpg

img280_07062007172356_4_350.jpgimg280_07062007172356_5_350.jpg

Just remembered I have this vid of Mr-Pushrod and I drifting, mine is the grey s2000, ok its on the old chassis I used (tb02r) but the set up was exactly the same, very hard on rear, soft on front, locked diff rear, open front and running same tyres I am now. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=r84ntjZYE7A

And I was wondering is buying a abs pipe and cutting it myself better than buy this online?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:AAQ:US:1123

DO NOT buy from this guy. I still have yet to receive mine in 3 weeks and he is only 200 miles away from me. I since boght from the seller in Hawaii, who sells the exact same tires and got them in 4 days. The worst part is the guy you linked to will not reply to any messages or even the PayPal claim I have against him. There is a guy in Cali who is just as bad, according to his feedbac. Hawaii is the best seller of the 3 that offer these.

Im just using Tamiya CVA dampers but those will be fine too. Locking front diff I found caused too much steering I was unable to balance the control of front of car in the drift. The motor thats in it is a 23turn I think, anything from a 17 to a 23 turn I personally think is about right.

Lower turn motor will help you break traction, I found a silvercan motor not really quick enough on carpet although it may be fine on a less grippy surface like tarmac. Best thing to do is try it and see.

Wikipedia says about traction:

"Traction refers to the friction between a drive member and the surface it moves upon, where the friction is used to provide motion.

For the purposes of driving a wheeled vehicle, high friction is generally desired, as it provides a more positive connection between the driving and driven members. In contrast, motion in a geared mechanism is provided by interference, and friction is usually detrimental because the gear mechanism has intrinsic sliding, and sliding under friction causes heating losses.

In the case of a wheeled vehicle, when the motor and/or transmission turns the axles, a reaction torque on the axles is created by the traction of each wheel on the ground. Without traction, there would be no torque (other than that required to overcome the friction and inertia of the transmission and wheels themselves), and hence no movement of the vehicle."

So breaking traction will allow your wheels to spin instead of gripping all the time. If you have a lower turn motor it'll definitely help you to break traction into a drift but go too low, when combined with ABS tires, you won't have any traction whatsoever to be able to get any momentum up in order to drift. You'll do nothing but spin your wheels on the spot. With ABS tires you won't need to go too low. The highest I've used with ABS is a 15T and that had way too much power at full throttle. I found I was only at half throttle most of the time.

With all the upgrades you've done so far you should be able to get some decent drifting done. Or, to put it simply, the car is ready so the rest is up to you. Upgrading your car will only do so much. Practice your drifting technique. Smooth your throttle and steering control and you'll find that you can drift around anything. Practice makes perfect.

BTW. BiggusDitchus... That is one impressive looking GT-R you've got there. Where did you get the spoiler from?

Wikipedia says about traction:

"Traction refers to the friction between a drive member and the surface it moves upon, where the friction is used to provide motion.

For the purposes of driving a wheeled vehicle, high friction is generally desired, as it provides a more positive connection between the driving and driven members. In contrast, motion in a geared mechanism is provided by interference, and friction is usually detrimental because the gear mechanism has intrinsic sliding, and sliding under friction causes heating losses.

In the case of a wheeled vehicle, when the motor and/or transmission turns the axles, a reaction torque on the axles is created by the traction of each wheel on the ground. Without traction, there would be no torque (other than that required to overcome the friction and inertia of the transmission and wheels themselves), and hence no movement of the vehicle."

So breaking traction will allow your wheels to spin instead of gripping all the time. If you have a lower turn motor it'll definitely help you to break traction into a drift but go too low, when combined with ABS tires, you won't have any traction whatsoever to be able to get any momentum up in order to drift. You'll do nothing but spin your wheels on the spot. With ABS tires you won't need to go too low. The highest I've used with ABS is a 15T and that had way too much power at full throttle. I found I was only at half throttle most of the time.

With all the upgrades you've done so far you should be able to get some decent drifting done. Or, to put it simply, the car is ready so the rest is up to you. Upgrading your car will only do so much. Practice your drifting technique. Smooth your throttle and steering control and you'll find that you can drift around anything. Practice makes perfect.

BTW. BiggusDitchus... That is one impressive looking GT-R you've got there. Where did you get the spoiler from?

Excellent post, as I said I drift mainly on carpet that is grippier for the ABS than tarmac, so he may find (as I havent tried) that a silver can will produce enough power on tarmac to develop enough wheelspeed to break traction effectively enough.

THe spoiler I got from ebay its made by Carson and remarkably cheap, I have a larger version from Yeah Racing that is 2 tier that I will part with. Thanks for compliment. (wheels are changed now, no longer the yokomo drift wheels/tyres now HPI 6mm offset TE37s)

TE37's are nice too. I've destroyed a few sets while learning how to drift. :)

The silver can is ok if you're using ABS on tarmac. I dropped back down to a silver can after I got fed up of my 15T and found it a little slow for my tastes but, that being said, I had a lot more control with the silver can than I did with the 15T. I think the SG Drifters use silver cans and their vids are pretty impressive. I've not tried drifting on carpet yet but I can see how the silver can might not be up to the task on that surface. Have you had any experience with any of the new HPI Drift Meister motors? I've only seen them on eBay so far.