tomasso

Motor For Lunchbox

I have a new lunchbox, I built it 3 days ago and so far I have lowered the front suspension and installed full ball races.

I want to get rid of the standard 540 for somthing faster, however I dont want to have to change my esc. What motor

would anyone recommend? Also would a pinion gear give me higher speed along with the new motor?

So far I am looking at the Tamiya 540 sport tuned and the Tamiya Gt Tuned....

Cheers

Keep the standard 10 tooth pinion, as it will be geared wrong with the only other pinion choice - an 18 tooth hornet pinion.

The teu 101 bk is recommended for sport tuned or regular silver can motors only - but many have used motors down to 23 turns successfully.

If it's cool out, the standard kit setup will work fine with a Tamiya Super Stock. When it's hot out, the 101BK will thermal with those 23T motors. It does make the LB more fun to drive though...

Will the GT tuned motor give me a higher top speed than a sport tuned? I want somthing that will not cause my esc to

melt.

Will the GT tuned motor give me a higher top speed than a sport tuned? I want somthing that will not cause my esc to

melt.

I've only just seen this motor for sale - looks to be a 25 turn when the Sport Tuned is a 23. Logic dictates that the Sport Tuned will be quicker, but perhaps the newer(?) GT Tuned would be just as fast but more efficient.

From playing around with a Hornet, I've came to decide that a 23 turn motor is really nice...

I have been running a 21t on my ff-01 with a 101 esc, gets warm but thats about it (so far).

I have been running a 21t on my ff-01 with a 101 esc, gets warm but thats about it (so far).

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to get the euro sport tuned 23T motor. If it gives me 10% more

speed I'll be happy enough with that.. I'm not hardcore into tuning it to replace the esc etc.

It's just for messing about with in the park once a week kinda thing:P

In practice it's probably not worth making a lunchbox go like lightening, it cannot enter

a bend at stock speed never mind with a monster engine running on steroids.

Cheers

Only once ?!?! ;)

If I get time I use it 2 or 3 times a week...I prefer to go to the park early on a saturday or sunday mornings to avoid the kids haha.

Otherwise if I leave it until later they will pester me for a go of it and that *******'s me off because I cannot enjoy my hobby

with kids running all around me ;)

In practice it's probably not worth making a lunchbox go like lightening, it cannot enter

a bend at stock speed never mind with a monster engine running on steroids.

It's probably not worth it, but I just had to over power mine ;)

April080221024x768.jpg

Brushless actually works very, very well with my truck. Obviously it's got crazy straight line speed, and can pull a wheelie while rolling along at a standard pumpkins full speed.

But the thing i've been amazed with is the lack of wear on the pinion, and its all due to the smooth rotation of the motor. Modified motors don't roll along freely because of the magnets, so they eat the pinion while decelerating. In fact the whole gearbox sounds outstanding at high revs, and the spur and diff are easily coping with the speed and torque. Power delivery is smooth and efficient. A 3300 nimh pack lasts longer with the brushless system than with a brushed system.

It is of course still a pumpkin, so off road handling is rubbish and on road cornering needs to be done slowly. I've got some nice oil shocks that dampen the front end perfectly, but the solid axle rear suspension can't cope with bumps. It's on sand, loose dirt and low grip surfaces where the back end can be drifted out that really makes me smile!

It's probably not worth it, but I just had to over power mine ;)

April080221024x768.jpg

Brushless actually works very, very well with my truck. Obviously it's got crazy straight line speed, and can pull a wheelie while rolling along at a standard pumpkins full speed.

But the thing i've been amazed with is the lack of wear on the pinion, and its all due to the smooth rotation of the motor. Modified motors don't roll along freely because of the magnets, so they eat the pinion while decelerating. In fact the whole gearbox sounds outstanding at high revs, and the spur and diff are easily coping with the speed and torque. Power delivery is smooth and efficient. A 3300 nimh pack lasts longer with the brushless system than with a brushed system.

It is of course still a pumpkin, so off road handling is rubbish and on road cornering needs to be done slowly. I've got some nice oil shocks that dampen the front end perfectly, but the solid axle rear suspension can't cope with bumps. It's on sand, loose dirt and low grip surfaces where the back end can be drifted out that really makes me smile!

That third shock mod is on my list!

Is that all thats left? :P

Mate of mine runs a SuperSpock TZ in his totally standard Lunchbox, with no probs yet.

I run a SuperStock RZ in my M03 with a 101 too.

Is that all thats left? :lol:

LOL :P

Luckily, no :P

It's had 1 high speed roll that sent it cartwheeling down the road - but only the chassis mounted bumper and wheelie bar hit the ground so it didn't get a scratch! :o

Get the sport tuned mate, it's all you need. The 'box is pretty uncontrollable anyway but that will give you very very long wheelies and sorted power slides :rolleyes:

Get the sport tuned mate, it's all you need. The 'box is pretty uncontrollable anyway but that will give you very very long wheelies and sorted power slides :D

Powerslide? Wow :D I ordered the sport tuned already there on Friday so I'm well chuffed, can't wait to stick it in. It's already pretty quick

with the standard 540 thats in it, had a nice little ripp about an empty business park today. A little bit more power will make me that little happier :rolleyes:

Powerslide? Wow :D I ordered the sport tuned already there on Friday so I'm well chuffed, can't wait to stick it in. It's already pretty quick

with the standard 540 thats in it, had a nice little ripp about an empty business park today. A little bit more power will make me that little happier :rolleyes:

Yeah there's not much to it..., run flat-out, turn in and a dash of brake, then hard on the power and be ready to use opposite lock if it's damp!!

Batteries are supposed to make a difference. That said I'm running a cheapy from ebay (3,800mAh) and it seems to pick up nicely although I did choose one with the highest peak current rating (at my budget of about a fiver...)

I don't think the Sport Tune is massively faster but does have a fair bit more torque IIRC.

Yeah there's not much to it..., run flat-out, turn in and a dash of brake, then hard on the power and be ready to use opposite lock if it's damp!!

Batteries are supposed to make a difference. That said I'm running a cheapy from ebay (3,800mAh) and it seems to pick up nicely although I did choose one with the highest peak current rating (at my budget of about a fiver...)

I don't think the Sport Tune is massively faster but does have a fair bit more torque IIRC.

I have a reasonable 3000mah battery giving me 20 minutes + run about time. I'm not expecting the speed of sound from the sport tuned just

a tad more top end. ..

I put the MambaMax 5700Kv in mine too. Awesome fun. Runtime is very long on the 4600mAh basher packs I'm using. After 15 or so runs there is no noticeable damage to the gearbox/diff at all. I do have a few scratches on the body and the wheelie bar is looking very 2nd hand. Only other noticable wear is the rear tyres.

I think it's the combination of the very small pinion and 2WD that is saving the drive train from damage. I have the Mamba on all default settings except brakes which I have set for 10% more. It will destroy a 4WD Tamiya buggy with these setting in a few runs. The Mamba motor is not even getting warm, nor the ESC or battery (Which suprises me as they are not meant for trucks).

I tried a 19 turn double Orion and it wouldn't wheelstand as though the motor was too high rpm and not enough torque, went fast though. I then tried a 15 turn double mod (unknown japanese brand) and it was the same, no wheelies but very fast. The box silvercan was the best brushed motor I tried in it for wheelies, just not much top end. Then I fitted the Mamba. With the same settings I had been running in the TA03F Pro it wouldn't wheelstand either, hence the reset to default and make a new setup to match the Lunchbox. Now it's a real hoot to drive and more a pace I'm used to.

Cheers, Mark

Edit: What are those tyres you are using mymonsterbeetleisbroken?

I run a Sport Tuned in my Pumpkin, for me it's the perfect comprimise of outright speed and useability of that speed. With a 3300mah pack the run times are abotu 20 mins, and it pops wheelies all day long!

Make sure your tires are stuck to your rims as that greatly improves traction and wheelie-ability.

I run a Sport Tuned in my Pumpkin, for me it's the perfect comprimise of outright speed and useability of that speed. With a 3300mah pack the run times are abotu 20 mins, and it pops wheelies all day long!

Make sure your tires are stuck to your rims as that greatly improves traction and wheelie-ability.

Heres a question for you? One of my front tires is wobbling at high speed but I have gotten the tire on the rim as even as I can

but it still not 100% balanced..Is there a trick to properly balance the tire on the rim? I was thinking of getting washing up

liquid and warm water and using that to get it right..

When I felt around my tyres I found that one half of the tyre is thinner than the other, so they will never balance well. Best you can do is make sure they are well seated in the bead groove and then glue them there. I found them very hard to get to seat properly and it took a lot of wriggling the bead in and out and folding the sidewall and squashing the bead in.

Having too much toe-in or toe-out will cause one front wheel to drag and make it wobble. Again very hard to find the happy balance with the amount of bump steer these chassis have.

I assume you have bearings fitted and not the static model plastic bushes?

Cheers, Mark

Again like Mark says, that could be down to the amount of sloppiness in the front arms / hub assemblies of these chassis'. Best you can do is install bearings and make sure everything is done up as tight as possible (but don't over do it!)

I have full ball races installed from build. When I spin one of the front wheel I can clearly see the tyre wobbling, I'll have to pull it

off again and try balance it. My other wheels spin nice and straight.

Edit: What are those tyres you are using mymonsterbeetleisbroken?

They are 2.2 Imex Claw Dawgs.

The truck needed them as at full speed the stock tyre's gave next to no grip!

The steering is also improved a fair bit with those tyres, again because their aggressive tread is much better than the smooth profile of the tamiya ones.

I've had to glue the tyre's to the FRONT wheels too - they spin fast enough to balloon open and come off the rims! :rolleyes:

Cable tie the front suspension arms together - this eliminates slop that contributes to wheel wobble. I need to balance the rear wheels though, they seem to wobble at anything over half throttle - but on the ground it's not noticeable.

It's absolutely hilarious to destroy expensive electric and nitro trucks off the line with a 1980's midnight pumpkin, and the site of it pulling a wheelie when already traveling at 20+ mph is pretty cool too.