Sign in to follow this  
hellbelly

Modern Motors?

quote:
Originally posted by BalmyBaldwin

If you have adjustable timimg, what happens if you reduce the timing to say -7 degrees? will this increase the runtime and reduce power? or will it just screw everything up?[}
:)
]

id="quote">id="quote">

You cannot reduce timing less than 'zero'...

You can still run the motor with reversed timing, however it will suffer in efficiency and be hard on it. You'll have less power for the same amt of current that goes in, whilst getting more heat.

If you think about it, when you reverse your car the motor runs in reverse timing anyway. Some Tamiyas run their motors in reverse eg. FWD M02s and ClodBuster so its not the best to put hot mods in these without checking the timing.

quote:
Originally posted by Razer

There are so many options in motors today you should be able to get exactly what you want without changing the factory setup.

id="quote">id="quote">

We won't even try talk about changing timing via brush cutting, eh? [;)]

i have a weird issue with my 18turn double kyosho mod motor. not only does she get really hot after just one run with 1900mah but it actually runs faster going in reverse? what? i did do the proper run in with a 7.2 volt for a bout 30 mins on and off. i have run the motor in forward unloaded for 30 mins with a battery pack trying to get the brushes back in shape and it still is the same. i had a similar issue with my 27turn stocker and did the 30 min unloaded run and it came good. but what is it with my 18 turn. i must admit though the brushes look very very lightly worn in one direction.instead of being a perfectly centred arc shape they tend to be lightly off centered.. how would i remedy this? surely i shouldnt have to replace the brushes already they have dont less than 2 hours run time total...??

perplexed.

tom.

Is the timing adjustable on that motor? Has it been set with negative timing, or is it a reverse rotation motor? That may explain why it is faster in reverse.

hi

the timing is adjustable but is set at the standard setting ie i havent adjusted it at all. reverse rotation? i understand what your saying but surely these motors are bi-polar unless timed otherwise. if it is set at zero which it is then surely it wouldnt make a difference as to which way its run? if otherwise please do explain.

tom.

Some motors are reverse timed as standard, to use in some twin-motor trucks. Kyosho do a "Magnetic Mayhem" motor in both flavours.

If the timing is set at neutral, I'm not sure why the motor would run faster in reverse. It could be that your ESC is not set up properly, or even damaged.

hi

would the fact that my nrushes are worn lighlty off centre contribute to the fact that it runs faster in revers than forward? ie in one direction it has better contact with the comm than in the other direction? gee i hope its not the speedy its only 2 months old at most.

tom

Your brushes would need to be very out of alignment for it to make a noticeable difference in running speed forward v reverse, I think it's unlikely. Try advancing the timing of the motor a few degrees.

the same thing is happening when using my boys msc. it runs faster backwards as well. i would say its a motor issue now. i will try running a few degrees advance.

ps you know anyone who makes titanium axle shafts for the stadium thunder? they are so weak.

regards

tom.