Blacque Jacque

Kyosho Or34 Porsche Flatnose Shell

Request for info please:

Can anyone with a 911 flatnose shell, part no. OR34 confirm the dimensions, wheelbase. front& rear track etc.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Terry,

I do love the flatnose, but I'm not really in the market for a Kyosho chassis & those dimensions mean it's not going to fit any of Tamiya's chassis without modification. :(

I wonder what happens if I flip the arms on a TL01 ? :)

I wonder what happens if I flip the arms on a TL01 ? :)

The chassis is still 50mm too narrow and touring car wheels are way too small. Try a Manta Ray or a DF-03, they are the same size as the body.

Hmmm, Manta Ray, now there's a thought.

More suitable than a TL01 (even the wide B variant) wheelbase is only off by 4mm & I'm sure the rear track could be widened.

Would HPI's 2.2 super touring wheels be about scale I wonder........

What fitment are Kyosho wheels ?

Kyosho buggies use the standard 12mm hex, it was a Kyosho invention. If you are thinking of using Kyoshos Porsche wheels with the body the body originally went on an Ultima, have a fitting for 8mm bearings. For a 4wd you need two pairs of OR-58 rears. The Porsche wheels are also 2 inch wheels so tyres can be awkward to find. 2.2 wheels might be a bit big.

OR-34 is just the body moulding on its own, the plastic parts that go with the body (such as the wing) are part number OR-35.

Based on the body dim's, it seems to be somewhere between 1/8 & 1/9 scale, meaning ordinary touring wheels will be too small, 2.2's a little over size so to get it looking right it really has to be the 2.0's.

Terry, as you've kindly provided all the other part numbers, can you tell me the numbers for the tyres please ?

Thanks Terry.

And so the hunt begins :)

Jacque,

Did you find any wheels and tyres for you flatnose ? I have recently aquired a body and wheels via ebay, and am in contact with the seller regarding some tyres. I dont have a price yet, but, I know they can be got if you still need them.

Jacque,

Did you find any wheels and tyres for you flatnose ? I have recently aquired a body and wheels via ebay, and am in contact with the seller regarding some tyres. I dont have a price yet, but, I know they can be got if you still need them.

Just to follow up - my Kyosho man has been told by the importers that the porsche tyres are no longer available. I am just waiting to find out now, what will fit.

The rims can still be got though apparently.

Thanks for that Andi, I haven't yet come up with a solution for tyres.

I heard a rumour the Tamiya 1/8 nitro mini ones might be suitable, but I've yet to have that confirmed.

After lots of measuring & hunting, I still think the HPI super touring wheels & tyres are a reasonable candidate.

As for a chassis, I have a pair of Manta Rays coming.

On a side note, is the original Kyosho collectable / particularly valuable ?

Small update on tyres:

HPI super touring slicks are 74mm diameter according to Tower Hobbies webby

HPI# 4590 or 4591 (medium or hard compounds)

But they will look extremely "rubber bandy" & not particularly scale :)

I can't even find a part number yet for the TGX mini tyres.

Small update on tyres:

HPI super touring slicks are 74mm diameter according to Tower Hobbies webby

HPI# 4590 or 4591 (medium or hard compounds)

But they will look extremely "rubber bandy" & not particularly scale :lol:

I can't even find a part number yet for the TGX mini tyres.

Hi Jacque,

I think you will find that the Kyosho porsche wheels are 2" diameter ( I have a set here ) and the HPI Super Touring tyres are a 2.2" - so they will be too big. I have to return a set of front rims I have to the guy I bought them from as mine are going onto a 4wd chassis ( I didnt realize the porsche was 2wd when I bought them ! ) so he is going to compare the Kyosho tyres he has in stock against the wheels I send back ( he has none left ) and he will let me know which of the Kyosho tyres best fit. He has one pair each of the slick, treaeded and rally tyres, but, says he can easily get more.

I have just oredered a set of TGX wheels and Tyres from Tony's Tamiya Parts on ebay - will let you know the sizes when they arrive !

As a side note - the Tamyia Fighter buggy has 2" rear wheels, but, I have only found pin spike offroad tyres in that size so far - however - we could cut the spikes off maybe ?!

We're starting to get some real priceless info here :lol:

Yes, the Kyosho wheels are 2.0's according to Terry's details above.

I probably wouldn't go for rally tyres, but a set of treaded plus a set of slicks would be ideal if they fit.

I just ordered my shell, shell accessory kit plus 2 front & four rear wheels (so I can build it rwd or 4wd as I please), not bad for 45 posted.

The TGX/TG10 tyres are the same as fitted to the RC Boys Voltec Fighter & Thunder Blitz, items 50761 & 50762, both 75mm diameter & 29 or 42mm wide respectively. (calling Tony's Tamiya parts / Europro975 :o )

The rims can still be got though apparently.

If you want to know exactly what's still available, have a look through Kyosho Europes stock list on Time Tunnel Models website

http://www.tamiyaparts.co.uk/tamiyaparts/tpx/kyosho.htm

Don't know the overall diameter of the TG10 Mini tyres, but the wheels are 2" so the tyres should fit.

I'll have to see what I've got myself, I've got a good stock of vintage buggy tyres in 2", but I don't think I have any on road tyres spare.

There's also the (discontinued!) Schumacher on road tyre which are 2" and were popular on road tyres back then.

Part numbers are:

6500U Road and Track tyres RT1 fronts

6501V Road and Track tyres RT1 rears

6509D Road and Track tyres RT2 fronts

6510E Road and Track tyres RT2 rears

The Kyosho Porsche wheels will need 2 pairs of rears, although the fronts will also stretch to fit Kyoshos wheels as can be seen here with RT2s on my Mid

img297_1012200291818_6_350.jpg

Right,

Got my TGX wheels ( part #50864 ) and tyres ( Part # 50563 Treaded Radial Racing ) here - the wheels are the same diameter ( 2" ), but, the way they fit to the Kyosho Porsche wheels is a little different. The porsche wheels, as you know, are a three piece rim, which pinches the tyre between the outer ring ( which sits inside the tyre ) and the two pieces which form the front and back of the rim. They TGX tyres will fit, but, you will need to trim the inner bead down quite thin as the rim will not go together due to the thickness of the tyre bead on the Tamiya tyre. I have got the three peices together with the tyre on, but, the last little bit is just too tight to get the front and back of the rim together close enough together to get the screws in.

I have an order for Kyosho tyres pending - my man is just waiting for me to send him the front rims back. the order will be placed in about three weeks, he says, as he needs to build up a minimum value order.

Andi, thanks for the update.

Hmmm, TGX tyres don't sound so promising then, oh well, if you contact can get Kyosho tyres maybe we could get lucky.

I have managed to get a web hit using the part number Terry gave us.

It has a slightly different description which might be a good lead (or could be a complete red herring of course)

After many hours of trawling I stumbled across a Korean webpage listing W5053, the expanded description reads:

"W5053 HIGH GRIP TIRE FOR GP-10 Series RE71"

Translated link

This is the picture:

KY-W5053-B.jpg

Those aren't the correct tyres. The correct ones look like this

img297_11042005200835_1.jpg

and are just described as "low profile tyre"

The GP-10 series are standard touring car size.

Thanks Terry,

Hmmmph, just when I thought we were making real progress, oh well, I guess that how it goes. B)

Andi, after re reading your last post, I'm wondering if the TGX tyres can still be viable.

You say the inner bead needs thinning down for the wheels parts to mate properly, while that in itself is a pain it's not like we're (well me anyway) going racing & need to be switching rubber out on a regular basis, so perhaps we should just accept the limitations of what's readily available.

Once my Kyosho parts arrive, I will probably buy a set of TGX tyres for simplicity & treat them as expendable for the cause.

You say the inner bead needs thinning down for the wheels parts to mate properly, while that in itself is a pain it's not like we're (well me anyway) going racing & need to be switching rubber out on a regular basis, so perhaps we should just accept the limitations of what's readily available.
The tyre will only need thinning down if you are going to use the wheel as a 3 piece beadlock assembly. Alternatively you can screw the two wheel halves together and glue the tyre to the wheel like any modern assembly. The only difference is there aren't any inside rims so you need to make sure the tyre bead is seated properly on the outside rim while gluing. Most racers did this as a matter of course due to the plastic ring snapping, so it was more reliable to glue the tyre in place instead.

My runner Ultima uses Schumacher tyres that are glued on to 3 piece wheels as both rings have broken so they have not been used.

The tyre will only need thinning down if you are going to use the wheel as a 3 piece beadlock assembly. Alternatively you can screw the two wheel halves together and glue the tyre to the wheel like any modern assembly. The only difference is there aren't any inside rims so you need to make sure the tyre bead is seated properly on the outside rim while gluing. Most racers did this as a matter of course due to the plastic ring snapping, so it was more reliable to glue the tyre in place instead.

My runner Ultima uses Schumacher tyres that are glued on to 3 piece wheels as both rings have broken so they have not been used.

Hi Terry,

Yes, I have considered that - also gave thought to bonding a strip of plastic to the middle of the assembled rim to help locate the tyre correctly. I have noticed the plastic ring is a bit feeble - one of mine broke as I was cutting it off the moulding fret !

WOOHOO !!!!

My OR34 has arrived :o

OMG it's HUGE :o I thought I would have width problems & have to narrow the Manta chassis down to keep the wheels under the arches, but now I'm not so sure.

Strangely, it came with the OR35, decals & window masks all included, I expected those to be extra as the body kit was only just over 21 (so I have a spare OR35 body accessory set too :lol: , whale tail, wheelarch vents etc ).

The wheels are on back order though :P

Andi, any updates on the tyre situation ?

Feb 5th 2009 Update:

After waiting for absolutely ages, it seems the wheels are no longer available - official answer from the Kyosho UK importer. :)

So I'm looking for some nice 2.0 wheels that will suit the Porsche ?

I reckon the ones that came with my RS500 would probably suit... lol....

RS500 came with a mismatched set of tyres as can be seen, as well as THREE :) of the proper Kyosho race slicks...

I have quite a few wheels and tyres for the old Kyosho Scale series cars.... mostly fronts for 2wd, though.... I'll have a look in the hobby room over the weekend, see what I can find...

I also have a full set of the Schumacher RT-1 onroad tyres, as well as the later (and uglier) RT-3s.... if tyres are still an issue...

Alex