Spetz83

Converting Tb-01 To Offroad

I have a TB-01 that gets no use at all

I'm just wondering, can I add soft springs and big wheels/tyres + some shell to make it into an offroad car?

Not so much for speed, but to obtain something similar to the XC Pajero?

The TB01 IS an offroad car :D So what conversions? (unless you have a TB01R, the 'roadgoing' version).

As for the larger wheels, that's a simple no. The Tub is too close to the wheel axles to put big wheels on the car. You can do this on a TB02 though (Wrc action has done this and made a TB02 Race Touareg). But then there's the issue that the diffs can't keep up offroad, which can be caused by the XC wheels and tires he used.

The TB01 is already a far from shabby off road rally car but as has already been mentioned the Tub is just to wide to allow xc tyres on it, I have experimented with reversing the suspension out and you can get the tyres on that way but some of the angles that you end up with are just horid and I would not personally recormend it.

In light of making it something like an Xc its not really possible as 4 wheel independant whilst superior in higher speed off road running doesnt have the same articulation that you can get from the fixed xc rear axle and the properties that such links have whilst an issue at speed with the tranlation of shocks/forces accross the axle in a pivot like manner are actually benefical to slower speed crawling/scale running. Yes it is possible in real life to get independant to do the same it is beyond the setup of an Rc car within reason.

Onto the TB02 yes I did make a race touareg, which can be seen here

102_2778.jpg

102_2783.jpg

It was possible due to the narrower tub and the use of the wide axles and offset wheels that allowed me to gain a track of around 205mm from memory, It was due to the 4 wheel independant suspension dynamically a step above the xc chassis however on slow crawling it did suffer. The main issue tho was the diffs and in running 2 ball diffs which where the optimum for the higher speed running they would more often than not snap the pins or come loose at one end putting excessive strain on the other diff leading to yet another diff pin breakage. Unfortinately due to the very compact nature of the Tb02 diffs a mechanical one wasnt an option so I shelved the project some months ago. I still have the shell and tub gaurds along with some bits if you would be interested in picking it up.

There is a full development thread here

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...&hl=Touareg

Best Wishes

Ryck

What you did with the toureg is roughly what I would like to have but I guess it seems unfeasible

The XC is cool but I have this feeling I will tire from it very quickly and will just become a shelf queen :D

You know I never thought off road would cause more strain on diffs, as there is little traction there?

Yeah the issue is the twist and changing grip espically with the cut xc tyres, also as you fall in and out of runs on the breaks there can be transitional forces from to rear, and the size of the wheel increases the strain much more than basic touring car tyres for wat the diffs where designed for. Still there are options you could explore such as using a TA01/02 or a TL01 base.

Cheers

Ryck

THe idea was to save some cash by using a TB01 which I already have but buying anothe base to modify seems pointless when I can just buy an XC and they are reasoably cheap

What diff is in your touareg? My TB01 and TGX have identical diffs which are all metal gears etc and it looks to me that they would be the last things to break in the drivetrain

I'd expect the driveshafts and/or the spur gear to go first