I used to hate snipers and now I am one. :lol:

It's simply the best way for me to buy because I'm often doing other stuff and can't keep an eye on auctions that I want to win and I hate watching auctions because I always end up bidding higher than I can afford. With a snipe I can set my maximum bid without fear that I'll override myself and if I don't win the item then I can grumble all I like but ultimately feel better that I was able to stick to my guns, albeit by default, rather than go beyond my budget. I really hate it when I do that. :P

That is no more effective than placing the same bid at the start of the auction. 3 minutes gives snipers and 'refreshers' ample time to react.

Snipers win auctions for two reasons;

1. People don't bid their maximum, so snipers tactics are effective because they don't leave people time to react. If, as Terry has said (and a million other people) you bid the very most you are ever prepared to pay for an item, then a sniper can only win if he is prepared to pay more - either way he wins BECAUSE HE IS PREPARED TO PAY MORE
  2. They are prepared to pay more than you, or at least more than you are prepared to pay

If people got out of the 'small bids' mentallity and just bid the most they could afford to spend on the item then, whether it's a sniper or not, they'll either win or lose - but they will only lose if the sniper is prepared to pay more [/endless repetition]

Ok....I'm gone try that! LOL! I'm getting ready to SNIPE a srevo off of Ebay in a few minites! LOL!!!!!!! SNIPE IT BABY....SNIPE IT!!!!!!!

I did like Twin Set said......and I SNAGGED/SNIPED IT!

there IS a benefit to putting a 'snipe' bid in at the final seconds...

#1: stops me second-guessing & tempted at upping the bid before the end... one pop, its done & dusted

#2: there's still a bit of HOORAY when i snipe something within 3s of close :P

Extra points bonus when its won with less than 1 bid increment over the losing bid. :lol:

The biggest confusing factor here is thinking that ebay is an auction. It's not! It's merely a timed sale. Entering how much you are prepared to spend on the item 30sec or less than the end time is just how you buy in a timed sale. The proxy bidding system ebay has working will automatically bid one increment above the next highest offer, no matter how high you bid. Sniping is what people who haven't worked this out yet call those that have.

An auction does not stop until the bidders are not prepared to put on any more bids. Then the auction ends and the highest spender gets the item. There is no time limit.

nope fleaBay is a "open bid tender sale" like govt work contracts... the finish time is published, highest bid @ end wins

guaranteed there'll always be someone whinging that they forgot/overslept/underbid/overlooked/misread... ;)

They don't need to stop the proxy bidding - just stop the fixed finishing time.

there were a few online alternatives that would close an auction only X mins after last bid... this is more of a true auction

however if you've used any of them before, in practice its a bleeding long drawnout process if there's many bidders

all trying to get in the final bid and you could spend hours just watching & watching & watching...

not surprised that all of the sites that did that have now gone by the wayside

I much prefer the NZ auction system to Ebay and the listing prices are much much cheaper :P

I totally agree! Can you use sniper programs on there? The items of interest are generally cheaper too ;)

Also if reference to you earlier post, as we can see who's bidding if I see another TC member (You, Kelvin, Pete, Del etc) bidding on something you guys want, I generally wont bid if it's not that important to me, I dont want to hike the prices up unnecessarily for any of us. I've always had the ideal that I will email, or at least put an early bid in so you lot know I'm wanting to play. :lol:

In regards to Ebay though, if I want it, I'll bid big for it, so generally I get it. You've got to realise that you have to be a bigger fruitcake than the other fruitcakes bidding if you want it. Most of the time, you pay a lot less than what you were happy to pay anyway so it more than levels itself out. It all depends how often the item comes along, or how urgent it is for you, I suppose.

there IS a benefit to putting a 'snipe' bid in at the final seconds...

#1: stops me second-guessing & tempted at upping the bid before the end... one pop, its done & dusted

#2: there's still a bit of HOORAY when i snipe something within 3s of close :P

Extra points bonus when its won with less than 1 bid increment over the losing bid. :lol:

nope fleaBay is a "open bid tender sale" like govt work contracts... the finish time is published, highest bid @ end wins

There are many benefits to sniping, I used to use Auctionsniper all the time funded largely by referring others - but when everyone I knew was referred, and Auctionsniper started charging, I changed tack and just bid once now (unless I find cash down the back of the sofa)

it doesn't look like ebay is going to change

anytime soon.

If there's something i really

want I calculate how much I would pay

total and subtract shipping, put that in

as my max bid.

sometimes I see bids go higher

than you can just go buy it for.

In an auction you can easily get

caught up in the moment.

I realize some items are rare and hard to get

but usually when it comes up again

there is one less person bidding

because they won the last time.

know what I mean?

skip

All very rational thoughts in this thread, but last year when I was sniped I absolutely wanted to set the guy on fire. (which is funny because I ended up buying it from him later when he put it back on eBay)

ain't that much need for AuctionSniper now with 24/7 eBay Mobile... :D

All very rational thoughts in this thread, but last year when I was sniped I absolutely wanted to set the guy on fire. (which is funny because I ended up buying it from him later when he put it back on eBay)

road rage, much? :P

ain't that much need for AuctionSniper now with 24/7 eBay Mobile... :huh:

road rage, much? :D

lol I can't even play it down. I was angry for like two days about it.

Was looking for a rare R/C from my teens (for weeks) and ended up finding a much rarer and better version accidentally....an hour before the end of the auction...and due to poor listing it was going for much cheaper than my original goal. Totally was a "The Universe has smiled on you today" moment...and then YOINK! No toy for you!

FUU-*cut to scene of birds suddenly taking to flight as though startled*

I have been using Auction snipers for about 3-4 years plus now, its makes sense for many reasons:-

Keeps cost of items your bidding on down.

IM usually pretty busy and am pretty forgetfull so it makes sense for that reason alone!.

Auctions that end in different countries/timezones, i aint staying up (or getting up) at 4.30am to bid on something i want, let bidnapper do it for me (i have a annual account that the business pays for so i use it a LOT to make it pay for itself lol).

All my family and some of my mates use my sniper as we are paying for it anyway and its unlimited so why not!.

Plus whenever i sell something on auction that gets sniped anyway so im getting my own back :D

I can understand its frustrating beaing beaten by a sniper (Worse thing is the other guy is probably sat there thinking "I got a Bargain!"), but 2 answers to that :- get a sniper and bid higher or just bid higher <_<