007al

Trail Finder 3link Version

got this today so gona be busy tonight! ;)

102_0126.jpg

Nope not allowed.

have just read the terms and conditions on Rc4wd's website your not allowed two ;)

So to save you getting in trouble with the scale police pop it in the post and i wont tell anyone ;)

More pics we need more pics.

Nope not allowed.

have just read the terms and conditions on Rc4wd's website your not allowed two ;)

So to save you getting in trouble with the scale police pop it in the post and i wont tell anyone ;)

Cant find any servo arms....anywhere! ;)

Nope not allowed.

And this is my sons so i think im legal ;)

Now you are just being a show-off ;)

Mike from RC4WD contacted me by mail yesterday to confirm my order, so hopefully they will ship it out soon. I am looking forward to mashing this truck around a bit. I have the std leaf spring version. It seems that there is a shortage of hilux beds and other parts around the globe too...I cannot understand how Tamiya are missing the boat by not selling Hilux body kits as a unit, they would be outselling the best selling plastic model kits they do....weird.

al, I see there are no instuctions included in these kits, I am not a muppet when it comes to building, but I know in my haste I will get 3/4 of the way through and realise I need to swap a bolt with a shorther one that is buried in the first phase of the build...d'oh!

How are the builds on these?

Get 'er done

Now you are just being a show-off :D

Mike from RC4WD contacted me by mail yesterday to confirm my order, so hopefully they will ship it out soon. I am looking forward to mashing this truck around a bit. I have the std leaf spring version. It seems that there is a shortage of hilux beds and other parts around the globe too...I cannot understand how Tamiya are missing the boat by not selling Hilux body kits as a unit, they would be outselling the best selling plastic model kits they do....weird.

al, I see there are no instuctions included in these kits, I am not a muppet when it comes to building, but I know in my haste I will get 3/4 of the way through and realise I need to swap a bolt with a shorther one that is buried in the first phase of the build...d'oh!

How are the builds on these?

Get 'er done

The screw sizes are pretty straight forward,plus there are more than you need.

The longest ones are used for mounting the dampers,and the rest are pretty easy work out the size you need.

if you have the 2 speed tranny,you need to mount the motor then the gear change servo plate before you screw the tranny in place.

Dont know what wheels you`ve ordered but the landies on my first one go on fine,but the beadlocks i have on this one are a different offset and need to be spaced to stop the tyre rubbing on the steering rod.

The new body mounts are still off.The rear ones are ok but the front one is in the wrong place for the pre drilled hole,plus its too low.Thought they got this sorted.

The diffs are pre-built dry so the cover needs unscrewing and greasing inside,plus its worth putting threadlock on the fixing screws.

Mounting the steering servo wasnt that straight forward.I needed it to go over further to the right than the servo plate would mount,so had to cable tie it in place.

I printed off some of the pics on the trail finder page for a guide when i built it to make it a bit easier.

They`re just a few pointers as its a pretty straight forward build.

Al,

Thanks for the heads up, I have seen some of the other guys creations on the rccrawler site, and they really look good. I don't have the artistic expertise to make the scale detail you guys have got, but I wish to be able to have a reliable running truck. Mine was confirmed as shipped yesterday, woohoo.

I ordered the classic wheels, look a little like the bruiser ones, but put second choice as the white wagon one's, not sure what it shipped with. It's a little disappointing that they havent got the body mounts sorted yet, but I really take my hat off to these guys for challenging the heavyweight manufacturers by coming out with a truck like this. I will continue to support these players, as the represent the essence of the hobby.

I will be sking you for advice as I go along, and thank you for your patience thusfar.

Regards

Greedy little fella arn't you eh?! I'm a bit jelous, but I don't think I need two... I don't think. Do they come with the metal or plastic axles?

You posted mine yet Dready?! Oh and I have a Blue Hilux with interior for sale if anyone wants it- I'll post a "For Sale" thread...

Ryan, talk turkey about the hilux kit, talk to me, talk ....just talk to me. I have paypal.

Al, tell me about pinions that you use, I saw someone on the rc crawler site saying he used 20T pinion for his 45Turn lathe and it gave him a little better top speed. I dont know where to get a pinion for this thng locally, what mdule, pitch yadda yadda??

Ryan...theyre metal axles

Ryan, talk turkey about the hilux kit, talk to me, talk ....just talk to me. I have paypal.

Al, tell me about pinions that you use, I saw someone on the rc crawler site saying he used 20T pinion for his 45Turn lathe and it gave him a little better top speed. I dont know where to get a pinion for this thng locally, what mdule, pitch yadda yadda??

I use the pinion that comes with the trans with a 35 turn motor and its good for me.

Just use that one that comes with it with not too slow a motor

Yeeehhhhhaaaa!

Mine arrived today, going to take some time to build this bad boy. This is a serious piec of kit, and I am really looking forward to the build. Pics will come a little later.

Well excited...! :wub:

Nice! I like scale builds. Got a '86 GMC Sierra build myself, unfortunately it's on the back burner, though.

Get it posted when its done...or almost done :unsure:

Yeeehhhhhaaaa!

Mine arrived today, going to take some time to build this bad boy. This is a serious piec of kit, and I am really looking forward to the build. Pics will come a little later.

Well excited...! :(

Photos, photos, photos ! Updates, updates ! I'm interested in the leaf sprung one myself. Help me decide and post some updates. You too 007al :).

Backtomyroots...

I have built it already, and taken it on a few runs. I will post some pics here soon, but I am trying to get a body sorted out for it in the interim. I have a Hilux cab and some body parts, but I need the rear bed and the grille parts to complete it. Tower has been out of stock for ages.

I also have an F-350 body set that is missing the screws and brackets that hold the grille on.....so all in all, I have a running chassis, and 3/4's of two shells that I cannot run!!

I need bot the body kits so that I can make a mounting option for both bodies.

There are a few links at RC4WD forums that will help you decide which one to get. I liked the leaf versio simply because it is realistic to a production replica crawler. I am sure the linked version would give you a lot better articulation tho. The leaf suspension is hard, and the scale shocks are not perfect, they need some work.

I will update here as soon as I have more progress. :-)

Andy

Made a roofrack and some sliders.

Still need to paint the interior and fit the driver i have planned for it.

102_0161-1.jpg

102_0159.jpg

102_0160.jpg

102_0163.jpg

102_0164.jpg

backtomyroots

Heres my leaf sprung version.

The 3 link version is a bit more robust as there are no leafs to bend...which can happen pretty easy,as you need to only use the main leaf to get the suspension soft enough

102_0029.jpg

102_0043.jpg

Thanks for the updates fellas, much appreciated ! I think I'd choose leaf sprung as mine will be a shelfer :).

Definitely on my list of must have kits now. Of course so is the new Tundra & Scania Metallic. Oh my, I best hide my Credit Card !

Thanks for the updates fellas, much appreciated ! I think I'd choose leaf sprung as mine will be a shelfer :lol:.

Definitely on my list of must have kits now. Of course so is the new Tundra & Scania Metallic. Oh my, I best hide my Credit Card !

Better off getting the Trail Finder and putting the Tundra body on i think.The Tundra shell is way too high for the high lift chassis,same as the Hilux is.

Or get this when its out :P

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133770