Live Steam Mad

Help To Identify Buggy Pictured?

Hi, I was idly flicking through the 1983 Tamiya RC Guide Book and the buggy in this picture below really took my eye, I really like it.

Does anyone know what it is?

I did my best to scan it (at several different resolutions).

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1220925229.jpg

post-6936-1220925248.jpg

I'm not 100% but it looks like a Fast Attack Vehicle, or Wild One maybe, with some custom mods?

I am sooooo not an expert at this, but that's my 2 cents worth. :)

There's clearly (oh well, maybe nt clearly, but it's there) "RMR 110" on the side, which would suggest it's a rough rider. The stinger exhaust would also suggest it's an SRB, but both are just clues, because they could have been used on any car fairly easily. It also seems to have an SRB bumper.

I just took a look at pictures. Looking at this picture, I'd say it's a Super Champ with cut rear, custom roof, RMR 110 decals and stinger exhaust with a different wheel and tire combo.

Actually, it looks like a Kyosho Scorpion to me. Strange that it should appear in a Tamiya guidebook, with what look like Tamiya decals on it, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

yeah its a cuckoo infiltrator!!

Kyosho/Cox Scorpion or there's a very similar AYK ladder chassis buggy too.

Stickers & lights seem borrowed from Tamiya RR, and the tailpipe from a SS?

Another ringer?

What about this one?

post-18200-1220951741.jpg

And someone get round matey's house and sort his camber out on his holiday buggy :)

I looked at pics again. It could be either a Scorpion with an SRB rear end, or more likely a Scorpion with cut up Super Champ body, stinger exhaust and RR decals.

And dready, the Holiday buggy I think is an SRB where they shaved off the lugs on the rear arms for more movement. The other one isn't really clear to me...

And dready, the Holiday buggy I think is an SRB where they shaved off the lugs on the rear arms for more movement. The other one isn't really clear to me...

Nah holiday buggy All day long.

It's very hard to get the body to sit over the shock towers.

Any better pictures anyone?

This is passing teh time quite nicely :lol:

The first one is a Scorpion, with it's correct rear end. Look how low it is, with negative camber... No way that's an SRB rear end.

I often wondered what the thing is that looks like a 1/8th Charade. Probably a big Walmart toy....

Anyone notice the 1/12th Skyline on the front row?. That had to be placed there as a joke.... It so not would of moved an inch on that surface :lol:

The first one is a Scorpion, with it's correct rear end. Look how low it is, with negative camber... No way that's an SRB rear end.

I often wondered what the thing is that looks like a 1/8th Charade. Probably a big Walmart toy....

Anyone notice the 1/12th Skyline on the front row?. That had to be placed there as a joke.... It so not would of moved an inch on that surface :lol:

The rear end is also very low to the ground, and with the angles it could really be an SRB rear end. But with the way the rear shocks ar emounted it's unlikely. Also, the rear cage is a scorpion one.

I realised how badly I contradicted that argument :lol:

It's a Scorpion/Tomahawk shock tower, and you can see the trailing arm of said model, plus the rims are Tomahawk, and the trailing arms... I just didn't bother typing all that, because I wanted to get to the on roader :P

The monster truck off the bottom of screen right also intrigues me. The only thing about like that at the time was the MPR Kong, but this has a modified Ranger. Anyone have a clue to what else it could be?. It sits too high for a modified SRB.

Made me smile when I saw it there too - the triumph of hope over experience? :P

Ahhhhh, yes, as I was lying in bed looking at the catalogue with a loupe last night I suddenly realised it looked just like a Scorpion, but it was 5 AM too late to post LOL.

You can see the very strong similarity with the picture below (sorry for taking these from a trades section but the guy is offering it for sale so I suppose he won't mind?) ;-

Wow I am really in love with Akira Kogawa's designs, they are so beautiful.

Also, shows how you can change the look of a buggy with a very few mods and a different and imaginative paint job. Box art is not always best LOL.

I would have been proud to own that buggy :P:lol:

Several things confirm the Scorpion origins, i.e. the tyres look like worn versions of the original Goodyear square spike tyres which were on the Scorpion, because I can SEE the 3 - then 4 - then 3 - block pattern on them. Also the roll cage and the metal roof shape.

Also included below are 2 pic's from http://www.vintagekyosho.com , a fabulous web site, heartily recommended.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1220971978.jpg

post-6936-1220973511.jpg

post-6936-1220973535.jpg

Here's the guy who designed the Scorpion (and Optima) ;-

pictures from www.vintagekyosho.com, awesome site.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1220974352.jpg

post-6936-1220974437.jpg

Looking at this picture, I'd say it's a Super Champ with cut rear, custom roof, RMR 110 decals and stinger exhaust with a different wheel and tire combo.

It's funny but I think you may be right... i.e. It's definitely a Scorpion but it looks very much like a Super Champ body has been 'added' to it. Very imaginitive! Looks awesome!

Cheers,

Alistair G.

I think Willy Chang was there when the picture was taken. He is the guy with the knee high tube socks. Maybe we should ask him. Nobody noticed my Tube Sock mod in the repost picture? :lol: Sorry I don't have any valuable information on the subject. Awesome cars though.

afraid don't have sexy legs like that, even when younger :P

Another ringer?

What about this one?

post-18200-1220951741.jpg

And someone get round matey's house and sort his camber out on his holiday buggy :lol:

think i spy a coilover shock on that HB :P

I think Willy Chang was there when the picture was taken. He is the guy with the knee high tube socks. Maybe we should ask him. Nobody noticed my Tube Sock mod in the repost picture? :P Sorry I don't have any valuable information on the subject. Awesome cars though.

Me, i did wonder why no1 mentioned the socks :lol:

Here's the guy who designed the Scorpion (and Optima) ;-

pictures from www.vintagekyosho.com, awesome site.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

So that's the reason why the HPI 5B looks so much like the old and more scale buggies!!! :lol: Niiice!

Does anyone know what it is?
Kyosho Scorpion, early version. Body is original Scorpion modified with side pods from a Rough Rider shell and the exhaust from a Sand Scorcher. The sidepod shape and cockpit side shape are Rough Rider, not Super Champ. Wheels are the original early Scorpion wheels, Tomahawk wheels have 5 holes in them.

Nah holiday buggy All day long.

It's very hard to get the body to sit over the shock towers.

Yep, Holiday Buggy with coilover conversion on the rear. A popular mod amongst racers at the time.

Ahhhhh, yes, as I was lying in bed looking at the catalogue with a loupe last night I suddenly realised it looked just like a Scorpion, but it was 5 AM too late to post LOL.
Alistair you've got too much time on your hands :lol:
You can see the very strong similarity with the picture below (sorry for taking these from a trades section but the guy is offering it for sale so I suppose he won't mind?) ;-
The yellow Scorpion is a very late model, fitted with Turbo Scorpion roll cage (note mounts for extra lights), Tomahawk wheels and Turbo Scorpion rear tyres.

The gold one is a Turbo Scorpion, fitted with a Scorpion body.

I might not know much about Tamiyas though :P

So that's the reason why the HPI 5B looks so much like the old and more scale buggies!!! :lol: Niiice!

Mine's the white one.

img280_06082006201112_1.jpg