carparkthrasher

Un Smoking A Bodyshell

Hi all,

Yes, this be this years post from me! I have searched for the answer but not really come across it yet. I have just aquired a used bodyshell that has had the windows smoked, i.e. given that tinted look. As I have just spent some time painting a driver set for the car, I would like to remove the smoke paint from the windows.

Any suggestions on the best product to use? Obvioulsy whatever I do needs to be done with care but I wouldn't know where to start in terms of chemicals and so on.

Many thanks

Simon

I heard DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid works well for paint

You gotta leave it on the paint overnight though, and then the paint just peels off easily

brake fluid only works on abs body shells. if you have a lexan shell the best thing to do is get some nitro fuel and apply it to the areas you want to remove the paint from with a cotton bud. leave it to sit a while then wipe off and clean. you may need to do this a few times as you will only be giving it light coats of fuel

brake fluid only works on abs body shells. if you have a lexan shell the best thing to do is get some nitro fuel and apply it to the areas you want to remove the paint from with a cotton bud. leave it to sit a while then wipe off and clean. you may need to do this a few times as you will only be giving it light coats of fuel

Thanks chaps, FYIit is a poly bodyshell so pinted from the inside etc. My only concern leaving anything 'soaking' for a while is geting run off into areas that I want to keep painted.

Deliate operation methinks!

I second bigoggy's advice, a cotton bud & nitro fuel, doesn't need to be new, but higher nitro % seems to help.

If it's polycarbonate, don't get brake fluid anywhere near it.

It will strip the paint, but it also irreparably damages the poly which will become brittle & just crumble.

Thanks chaps, FYIit is a poly bodyshell so pinted from the inside etc. My only concern leaving anything 'soaking' for a while is geting run off into areas that I want to keep painted.

Deliate operation methinks!

One thing you may have a problem with - Paints designed for lexan/polycarbonate bodies are designed to "etch" into the lexan and bond themselves to it. If your windows have been done with a proper lexan body paint, then you will never get the windows clear without a lot of very careful and gentle polishing.

On the other hand - paints not designed for lexan should come off very easily as they dont bond to lexan properly.

Hope it comes off easy for you !

Maybe you should put on paper tape on the windows... It will soak up the nitro fuel, making sure the rest of the paint doesn't come off? Never tried it or heard anyone doing this, but it might work? :lol:

surefire way is to mask off the areas you want to keep, then sand away the painted window areas

start with 600grit, work towards 1200, 1800, 2400... finish off with Polishing Compound or Brasso.

if you want them sparkling clear easier, i'd go paint a coat of clear varnish on them, try the Clear in Tamiya's Acrylic X-bottle

surefire way is to mask off the areas you want to keep, then sand away the painted window areas

start with 600grit, work towards 1200, 1800, 2400... finish off with Polishing Compound or Brasso.

if you want them sparkling clear easier, i'd go paint a coat of clear varnish on them, try the Clear in Tamiya's Acrylic X-bottle

Thanks for all the thoughts folks, I reckon it was probably done with Tamiya PS Smoke so it does looklike either nitro fuel or sanding are my options! I don't have any nitro so I will try a bit of gentle sanding first and see how I get on. The obvious answer is to start fomsratch with a new shell but it is a Scooby and the rally declas drive me mental when applying so I would prefer to use this one!

I've used brake fluid on polycarbonate.. no ill effect. just apply to paper towel or cotton-butt and rub away. clean up residue with window cleaner (non-ammonia base).

bolink sells or use to sell body wash i got a bottle of it with a recent purchase i've made. it said one of the uses is paint removal but i havn't tried it yet