R2Man

What Have I Got Here?

Hi,

I found this chassis mixed in with a bunch of other R/C stuff. I was hoping someone might know what it is.

I've been searching online, but nothing seems to match.

Thanks,

R2

Tamiya Falcon, with Duratrax gold shocks and some particularly rare Proline wheels.

Tamiya Falcon, with Duratrax gold shocks and some particularly rare Proline wheels.

Thanks for the quick response. You're good, that's a really detailed ID.

Would you know what Duratrax model the shocks are from? Also, how rare are the wheels?

Those shocks are from before Duratrax had cars.... They just did hop ups and tyres.

The rims... Well, I have only seen them in advertisements and on magazine project cars.

Hi,

I found this chassis mixed in with a bunch of other R/C stuff. I was hoping someone might know what it is.

I've been searching online, but nothing seems to match.

Thanks,

R2

My only buddy wit an rc car when I started out had a falcon. I allways kept eyeballing it as it had the perfect composition to replace the plastic tub with an frp sandwhich chassis like the 'real' rc race cars.

Make it a fun project!

My only buddy wit an rc car when I started out had a falcon. I allways kept eyeballing it as it had the perfect composition to replace the plastic tub with an frp sandwhich chassis like the 'real' rc race cars.

Make it a fun project!

What kind of market is there for the three parts; chassis, shocks, and wheels?

the shocks are poor quality copies of kyoshos goldshocks, called duraleaks by some ;)

The chassis is clearly used but could have some resale value if it's not cracked at the the mount points of the front section: that was a weak point and there may be some people looking to replace a broken chassis, though most are likely to prefere a new one.

From the above posts it sounds like the wheels are pretty rare, but looking at the tires there's little chance they have no scrub marks.

I think over-all little re-sale value. Just have your own fun with it if the gears are still ok. It really is a good car for vintage class races with stock motors: nice low gear ratio to suit, and respectable behaviour off -road though the front end is too weak for modern style tracks with big jumps.

Tamiyas scaled up dungan racer they released recently looks like it has a body that could fit and kind of looks reminiscent to the original too.

Feel lucky if you get $40 for it. Its a Falcon the second least respected Tamiya buggy and its without the body. Personally like the car and it can handle alot more abuse than people think but its still a Falcon.

Feel lucky if you get $40 for it. Its a Falcon the second least respected Tamiya buggy and its without the body. Personally like the car and it can handle alot more abuse than people think but its still a Falcon.

So, what's the least respected Tamiya?

I'm hoping it's nothing I've got in my collection! ;)

So, what's the least respected Tamiya?

I'm guessing the Striker or Sonic Fighter rate below the Falcon in some folks eyes (although I kinda like the Sonic Fighter).

I'd vote Madcap as a least respectable candidate... Yuk. Ugly chassis, stupid diff.... Hey I'm off topic... AGAIN :)

Clearly the Falcon was a better buggy than the striker!

The striker had friction dampers all around, hornet-style arms upfront, and an ABS body=wing while the Falcon had 4 large volume hydraulic shocks, double wishbones upfront and a lexan body+wing.

The weak points were really the weak connection of the front to the chassis, dogbones popping out of their cups and for mod-class: the limited choice of gear ratios (2 and both very low)

I'm guessing the Striker or Sonic Fighter rate below the Falcon in some folks eyes (although I kinda like the Sonic Fighter).

I'm parting this chassis out if anyone is interested.

I'll probably keep the shocks if they fit my Hornet. I may list the wheels on eBay, unless anyone is interested in them. If someone wants the chassis along with the two motors (pictured below), let me know.

I don't know if anyone here has an interest in other brands of vintage buggies, but I'll be listing a complete Traxxas Cat (original radio & crystals included), on Sunday night.

I also have a Kyosho Raider ARR body in fair condition, along with the original manual with all but 4 pages. This is of no use to most people, but someone might have need of it.

I found a box of vintage stuff that I had forgotten about. There are a lot of wheels and buggy bits and pieces, along with what I mentioned above.

The front shocks might fit the rear of your Hornet, but the rears (if they are right for the Falcon) are very long.

I'm actually "restoring" - Not to factory, but race trim - my Fox, the 1st RC I had and those wheels would fit it. Something I would of liked to have on it back in the day.

PM me how much you'd be asking for them, please. I'll let you know asap.

The front shocks might fit the rear of your Hornet, but the rears (if they are right for the Falcon) are very long.

I'm actually "restoring" - Not to factory, but race trim - my Fox, the 1st RC I had and those wheels would fit it. Something I would of liked to have on it back in the day.

3 of those shocks would look nice on that fox too :) Or 4 if you really want to go race outfit. I've seen home-made dual shock conversions for the fox front before

I seem to me PM-Challenged; I'm new to this forum thing.

Make me an offer.

I pulled the tires and cleaned up the wheels, I'll go take a better picture and post it. I have to go out to the garage anyway, since now you have me wondering about the shock size on my Hornet. I could have sworn that the backs were longer than the Falcon fronts.

R2, what country are you in, so I can pitch an offer in your native currency?.

I'm in the US. I need to fix my profile info, but it doesn't seem to let me. I'll deal with it later.

Here are the wheels.

Ok, I'll personal message you, and when you refresh or log in a window will open to tell you that there is a pm. Hit the link on the right of screen below the banner and follow that. PMing is easy! :). Just hit "reply" when you have read it, type your response and hit send.