ArancioC5

Hpi Hellfire Or Traxxas Revo?

FAST, DURABLE, CHEAP TO FIX, FUN... those are my goals. Which one is better?

I know many on here have other brands besides tamiya, and tamiya does not offer anything like these two.

Read around a few forums how much Revo drivers like their trucks... not much, like most Traxxas they are rather fragile for a 'basher' truck.

Ask the Nitrage owners how their rear diffs hold up. 2 Bevel gear diffs just don't cut it, Hellfire and Savage are 4 bevel gears in the diff.

Hellfire is a solid truggy and HPI parts are cheap and plentiful.

Hellfire is the perfect candidate for a brushless conversion too. MambaMax Monster 2200Kv and two MaxAmps 7.4v 12,000mAh Lipos in series. Longer runtime, more power, no oil mess and no nitro hassles... just plug and play. Make sure you are sitting down when you check the price of the MaxAmps Lipos :D

I have a revo 3.3 it was my first truck and it was expencive first truck.A friend had a t-maxx 2.5 so i wanted to go 1 better.I love it for bashing and parts are everywhere most LHS stock parts for them and they are cheap. Plus lots of companys have upgrade parts in stock form it handled everything i threw at it from backflips over my house trailer to bmx tracks.As for the hpi i don't know anyone that has 1 but was thinkin about buying 1 about 6 months ago and bought a axial ax 10 instead but the hellfire is still in the back of my mind

TA-Mark makes some great points. Also, the Hellfire is proven to be tough and rugged in my neck of the woods.. I have seen the HF take much abuse at the local Skate Park, an all concrete surface where even the Revo drivers dare to fly....

Mark I kinda wanted a nitro because I have never owned one before. I also like the idea of just filling up the gas and going right away. I know brushless has it's advantages and I might make the conversion if the nitro engine blows down the road. (by the way, how long approx. do nitro engines last?) Is the Revo bigger then the hellfire? Wont make a difference because HPI also makes the Savage XL which is also appealing to me. I just need to learn Nitro I guess. It looks fun :D So who makes a micro turbo charger B)

I recently got tempted by the "nitro" bug and bought myself a Savage 4.6. I can't speak for the Traxxas but the Savage gives me a good impression of HPI. It's is well built and seems pretty tolerant of my ham fisted driving (so far! :D ). Spares are also easy to come by too and the HPI Rotastart makes starting the engine a breeze. The HPI stuff also comes with an instructional DVD which as a newbie to nitro I found very useful.

I got a lot of good advice from the chap at the LHS but the general advice I found when going nitro was to run the engine in carefully (by essentially running the engine rich). This will prolong engine life. The big thing seems to be not to run the fuel mix too lean and use after run oil etc.

The nitro truck is fun and I think that if you are a little mechanically minded you'll get on great with it but if you're not you may prefer the "plug and play" type enjoyment of batteries!

One other thing running the nitro trucks isn't cheap !

Compare the price of a litre of nitro fuel to a litre of unleaded :D

(by the way, how long approx. do nitro engines last?)

My Savage 25 engine has had 49ltrs through it after last weekend and still going strong. If you keep your air filter clean and use a fuel filter and good fuel you seldom have an issue with the engines, the rest of the truck wears out first. My dogbone cups are starting to look very secondhand after 2 years of much abuse.

The only parts I've busted on mine are a set of rims (rounded the drive hexes out doing silly size jumps), cracked the fuel tank (landing upside down from one of them silly size jumps) and the roto-start one-way bearing. My body is looking rather tatty too, big wheels are hard to shiney side up :D

The LHS owner was complaining last Friday how his Nitrage was out of action for the weekend due to a rear diff blow out, then another friend had his blow at the track. FWD only makes life interesting with a nitro MT. I seen another thread on the forums here about the T-Maxx's common problem, broken shock towers.