Sign in to follow this  
WillyChang

D F 0 3 R A

DF03RA.jpg

looks like all-new arms? (shocks ahead of dogbones!)

will it be a TGX/SuperTen sized shell?

Says 1/10 scale and 251mm ?? If that's wheel base, it's about 50mm short of a TGX.

Although I can hardly complain about a new, more capable rally chassis from Tamiya. :D

it may be an official release of these RCW scans of mine:

73800684.fVF5Oj6J.jpg73800812.3vfFMIpT.jpg

Scanned them like February 2007.

251mm wheelbase on a 446mm chassis?? humm, that wouldn't take much to convert to 256.. :)

Prolly find that 251 is width, looks like Tamiya jumped on the Super RS4's 1/8th electric bandwagon, umm, 8 years too late (and there is no room for 8 cells on a -03 chassis...)

Or I could be completely wrong :)

I hope I am, that is worth replacement for the TA02 or TL-01 in the world of shafty sport tourers.

Looks like it's near Superten size, with the 272mm DF-03 wheelbase and shorter suspension arms to bring it into proportion. 460mm is shown, that will be the overall length.

Great, 2.2" rally blocks for on road buggying. :)

........ Slash scale :)

Personally, I think 1/8th is better for rally. Lumps of gravel don't appreciate scale requirements, and IMHO, 1/10th rally cars do get bumped around a little too much for "scale" dynamics.

Though, the driving pic on the 2nd page of that publication does show it to be quite small (next to the dude's shoes )

........ Slash scale :)

Personally, I think 1/8th is better for rally. Lumps of gravel don't appreciate scale requirements, and IMHO, 1/10th rally cars do get bumped around a little too much for "scale" dynamics.

Though, the driving pic on the 2nd page of that publication does show it to be quite small (next to the dude's shoes )

Actually I'm mistaken. The car, will be a 1/8th, instead of the 10th scale shown in the magazine scan.

The magazine scan only shows, that it's possible to turn the DF03 into a 10th scale tourer/drifter.

The DF03RA, IMO, will be an 8th scale car. Well, at 446mm long, it better be 251mm wide.

10th scale touring chassis in general is about 360mm long.

O well, hopefully tamiya will include a somewhat nice body on it..

and if the intro is successful, other companies eg: kyosho and hpi may follow suit with their entries.

Says 1/10 scale and 251mm ?? If that's wheel base,

Yes thats right. Although the pic is not that good quality I can just make out that it says "short wheelbase 251mm" (ショート ホイルベース 251mm).

Just found another scan of the same page

It will be a 2007 Monte Carlo Impreza. There will also be a TB-03D drift chassis kit.

post-6415-1222263123.jpg

I really hope it's not supersize but the regular 1/10 touring car size... That would mean there would be a decent replacement for all those TB01's, TA01/02's etc. that were and are used for rallying... :) If it's not than it will be a flop in my opinion... I think 1/10 is just about right on size for an RC car. Plus, it says 1/10, so tamiya should keep to that. And as a last thing, if 251mm is indeed the width it would mean that it's 1/7-7.5 in scale, which would be quite unusual too...

Edit: I just measured up my 2001 and 2000 Impreza shells... Both are very close to the 446mm, so it should be the regular touring car size (please tamiya, let this be true :) )

What a surprise, another Impretzel... What's that now, the 60th one they've made :)

I'm sure it'll be good, what ever scale it is, but, these oddball sizes don't have the life span, because of the limited supply (and eventual extinction) of bodies and tyres.

In instances where I have put larger wheels on mini/touring car bodies, I would of prefered to have moved the wheels in a little (ie shorten the wheelbase by around 5-10mm). This would prevent having to cut too far forward and weakening the front of the body. It would also put the front wheel further back up the bonnet line and giving a little more over the wheel arch.

In cases where I have fabricated the chassis, I have done exactly this. Maybe this is the case with the DF03RA? Now all standard bodies should be able to fit better. If the wheelarches are uncut then they can be put where is best. If they are cut, then just ream out towards the centre on both arches.

Unlike the TL01RA Impreza which have buggy dish and pin wheels, this looks as though it has TGX wheels and rally blocks. When ever I tried to fit TGX wheels to anything, I always found that the webbing (interenal bracing) would foul on supension parts. It must be spaced out with longer axles and larger hexes.

I hope this is a TGX sized car so hopefully I can get more spare parts(tyres etc)

Though I think it'll be 1/10th as those tyres are the tyres that my TB01 rally kit came with standard

The TGX rally blocks are different to them

Thats a 1/10 no mistake, look at the size of the screw heads and yes those are 1/10 wheels/tyres. The new impreza is a shorter car than the old one so it makes sense that theyre using a shorter wheelbase, and notice the amount of short wheelbase bodies being released.

Looking again it definitely looks touring car size. If it is 251mm wheelbase those rear wishbones have to be swept forwards a lot. The fronts look fairly straight, but even though the DF-03 wishbones are swept back there's still a lot of wheelbase (19mm!) to lose there. Still, they did it that way with the TA-01 when it was converted from a buggy as there isn't any way to shorten the chassis itself.