ryanbored

Bashing...

Hi guys and girls- just want a little advice really. I want a car for bashing, and just not sure what to go for. Doesn't have to be Tamiya (shock/ horror!)

I miss my Savage, but not sure I want the nitro/ aggro again

Fancy a rally car, but I think a truck would suit me better. Bassically something that doesn't need too much maintainance, will go off-road, keep a smile on my face...

So thoughts please.

Cheers

Ryan

Poss cars are:

Revo

E-Revo (bit pricey, don't really wanna invest in that many batteries!)

Savage

Tamiya based rallye car [Love the old Delta]

Something vintage like a Ford Ranger (not enough ablility?)

Stampede

Anything I've not thought of? I don't really like buggies....

I know it's cheap and nasty, but my Stadium Thunder is great for bashing - quick enough with the Sport Tuned in (mine must be on it's last legs) and pretty bullet proof. In fact, I can't think of anything I've broken on it?!

Ryan,

If you are considering an E-Revo, and price is a problem then seriously look at the E-Maxx (3905 rather than the old 3906 version). Fast, fun, goes anywhere and better yet - It's waterproof!!! Also, the E-Revo might be a better racer, but the E-Maxx is much better for general bashing as it has better ground clearance.

Check out my videos on here for an idea of what they are like to bash with. Superb speed, manic acceleration and seriously capable on almost any terrain.

I have heard a lot of talk about them being fragile, but the only times I have broken mine are:

Same frequency as another racer - flat out into a solid boulder - 20 worth of repairs (a 30mph impact in almost anything else I own would have resulted in total destruction)

Loads of jumps and slides - catching the edge of a solid surface whilst travelling sideways - 1 rod end broke - 6 for a set of 12

That's after taking it out for 30+ hard runs, 40mins plus per run (4 batteries each time - 2 runs of 20mins each) and abusing it badly. Even ran it in the sea and across rocks, sand and a pebble beach.

If you make it to a Cider Bashers meet, I'll let you loose with it!!!!!

Steve

... if you miss the savage a lot, perhaps you'll see an E-savage in the near future?

I do think that Traxxas make good bashers, but I had a standard E-maxx and wasn't that impressed, especially after the Savage. But don't wanna splash out on loads of sooooper dooooper cells or brushless... [Can't afford it!] Dunno if the good ole standard 'E' will be enough for me?

Think I'm gonna have to look at a Savage.

Sirandy, is the Slash that good? I've heard good things about the Firestorm too. Might just put a 10t in a Madbull and see how long it lasts :lol:

Well, the Slash, I heard, is a very fun truck and I'd like to run one in the future :lol: I saw it isn't badly priced either. And if you don't take a Slash, I think the other EP trucks from Traxxas are nice bashers as well.

Maybe you should also consider waiting for the DF03RA if you want a rally car. Sounds like something capable, it has a buggy background, and what a buggy B)

Ryan - I know you said you'd like to come to a Cider Bashers bash even if its a bit of a trek for you. We've got an offroad one planned in October which would suit crawling and bashing. Check out the topic in meets and events. :lol:

Another vote for the traxxas slash. I've only heard really positive comments from people who have them. I recently made a 2wd racing truck and Its great fun for bashing because with 2wd you loose some of the predictability of 4wd so it keeps you on your toes, which makes bashing more fun to me as its all about ragging a car to its limits (a bit like my racing).

I absolutely wouldnt get a hotshot, because if you thrash it, it will die quickly.

I do think that Traxxas make good bashers, but I had a standard E-maxx and wasn't that impressed, especially after the Savage. But don't wanna splash out on loads of sooooper dooooper cells or brushless... [Can't afford it!] Dunno if the good ole standard 'E' will be enough for me?

Think I'm gonna have to look at a Savage.

Sirandy, is the Slash that good? I've heard good things about the Firestorm too. Might just put a 10t in a Madbull and see how long it lasts :lol:

Ryan,

It is that good, I am not into the 'truggys' and 'buggys' simply becaus the scale part of RC is what makes me enjoy the hobby so much. The slash is a half-way mark. It has some scale looks and handling about it, and it has the performance of the racing off-roaders. The handling is typical of a 2WD vehicle and on a gravel surface makes for some great slides etc. There are 5 of us who have them and have a ball. The only thing I would recommend is an 8.4V battery pack. The additional OOMPH! is cheaper than LiPo, but still quick enough.

The electrics are good, the car is well priced and parts (if you do break stuff, not often) are reasonably priced too.

Definately a fun truck. B)

Andy

You may not like buggies, but... Can I go out on a limb and suggest the HPI Baja 5b? Guaranteed smile on the dial.

- James

Thanks for your input guys, and for the invite RM, I'll def get my toys to Cider Bashers next event if it isn't raining! I think I'm gonna plump for the E-maxx, cos I can pick one up for under 150, and can sling a brushless in it when I have a few more 's.

The Savage is really tempting, but I live in a 2 bed flat and my misses gets annoyed at tripping over nitro fuel :)

And James I had a HPI 5b, but found it to be a little bit too slow (I know you can spend big $ on them...) after the manic brushless and nitro stuff I had. Plus my misses kept tripping over that too, cos it's huge!

Maybe you should also consider waiting for the DF03RA if you want a rally car. Sounds like something capable, it has a buggy background, and what a buggy

I'm pretty excited about that- I love rally cars, but no-one really does an off-the-shelf capable one anymore.

Gonna think over the next few days, then get the cash out!

Cheers all,

Ryan

Ryan, get the Traxxas Slash, you won't look back it is so much fun to drive and almost indestructible.

If you get the Velineon brushless system too from the States delivered for 70 ish quid it's silly quick and as much of a handfull as you could ever want.

We all (Chain Driven, Mud Plugger, Munchkin Rebel & myself) bought one and have had sooooo much fun.

Best value and fun RC i have ever owned!!

Just check out this youtube video

Hey Ryan,

Just one word - brushless.

It doesn't matter what you get. buggy, truck, stadium truck, CORR, rally car. Put brushless in it and Robert's your mother's brother.

I've got an e-savage with a feigao set up, a traxxas rustler with a mamba max set up. I've even got an RC18R/T combo set up as a rally car and an Xray M18MT/T both with Mamba 25 set ups. All awesome fun and fast as you like.

So, think less of the type of truck and more of the type of power.

All mine run on NIMHS - albeit 7 cells. They are as well rapid. If you start talking LIPOs then you're talking supersonic.

So, get whatever. Just put brushless in whatever you decide and you will be in bash heaven - and buying loads of spares on Ebay .... lol

Pete

Go for the Slash - they are fast out of the box and nigh indestructible. I put a 15t double wind in mine with the stock ESC and a 7 cell battery and OH MY GOD! <_<

They jump great, haul mail and actually look like a real 1:1 truck with oversteer, wheelspin and lots of body roll. Way different feel than the Losi and cheap at the price!

I think you would be disappointed with an Emaxx after a Savage. I have a Rustler, Emaxx and a Slash and the 1st two are collecting dust since I bought the Slash. They can go even faster with an included pinion/spur combo, and made stable [relatively, anyway] for pavement running if you want by dialing in the shocks and such.

Oh yeah, WATERPROOF. Nuff said?

Well I never get good deals, and always pay through the nose for this *bleep*ing hobby, so I would just like to tell everyone about this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=008

I'll test it tomorrow, as It might be an old knacker inside, but it looks like it's been run about 4 or 5 times!! Took a bit of a risk buying it but hopefully this time it will have paid off. Wish me luck all,

Cheers

Ryan

Oh- Try searching for item number 180292892902

Crikey - you do like living dangerously! I wouldn't have touched that with someone else's bargepole, simply because of the lack of description & the one poor photo.

It could be a great bargain though - hope it turns out well :lol:

Thanks matey- I recon if it had a description and the seller had feedback there's no reason it wouldn't have gone for 200 ish. Just hope it works later! My mate who works in a model shop will be on the case with it!!