Sign in to follow this  
pattinsonchris

Tamiya On The Antiques Roadshow

Just a thought about the future. Do you think in the future, 50 years or so, programmes like the antiques roadshow or similar will start to have Tamiyas on? Or Cash in the Attic, something like that?

Will there be experts in the field of RC antiques?

I wonder how many models today will survive at that time? Let's consider the UK for example, would there be say only 70 Egresses left in the UK at that time? I wonder how many there are now?

Any thoughts on what the future holds for your shelf queens or runners?

Hopefully he won't go down the David Dickinson route :lol: you know, spray himself in ronseal fencecare etc etc...

I don't see why Tamiya cars wouldn't appear on antique programs in the future, it would be the equivalent of seeing teddys, dolls and dollhouses on there now. Kinda makes me regret cashing on all my Transformers when the movie came out last year. My dad said 'keep all the boxes, be worth somethin in a few years', and he was right. but part of me thinks if i had just waited ten more years or so....

IMHO toys should be played with without fear of scratching paintwork or losing bits. If you think it might be "worth a bit" in a few years buy another one and stash it away NIB and keep the box for the one thats played with B)

Vintage RC stuff will most definately appear on antiques programs in years to come, just as old 50's tether cars attract very high prices on ebay today.

However it might not be worth much more than the original price plus inflation. 25 years ago a new 2ch radio cost 50. How much would you pay today if you found the same one on ebay?

I suppose we'll just have to bookmark this page and look again in 20 years or so :lol:

IMHO toys should be played with without fear of scratching paintwork or losing bits. If you think it might be "worth a bit" in a few years buy another one and stash it away NIB and keep the box for the one thats played with B)

Some people prefer to admire the toys in pristine condition, just like collectors of antiques mostly don't use their collectibles and put them in display cabinets. IMHO if someone doesn't want to use their toy/antique, and preserve it in good condition, there's nothing wrong with that. I have no problem either if someone wants to risk a rare item by using it for what it was intended for. It's theirs, they can do what they want with it, whether that enjoyment comes from admiring it or using it.

Vintage RC stuff will most definately appear on antiques programs in years to come, just as old 50's tether cars attract very high prices on ebay today.

However it might not be worth much more than the original price plus inflation. 25 years ago a new 2ch radio cost 50. How much would you pay today if you found the same one on ebay?

I suppose we'll just have to bookmark this page and look again in 20 years or so :lol:

Vintage radio gear isn't worth much, since the radio gear is generic, and superior sets with identical function are available today cheaply (although there are a few people on this site, who do collect vintage radio gear).

Certain 'exotic materials' cars like the SRBs and Bruisers and TRF cars I think will achieve enduring classic toy status, alongside Hornby trains, Meccano and the like. You might be surprised what some of them will fetch in years to come, but it highly depends on the state of the hobby and what other models are available in the future. Look at the prices of some of the slot cars from the 60s and 70s. Who knows, maybe one day RC will no longer exist as a hobby?

But I agree, speculation in investment in RC kits is a pretty poor idea.

- James