skip665

Does This Motor Need A Rebuild?

I have had an Integy 55t motor in my Touareg for nearly a year now - it was fitted as it came and has seen more than its fair share of mud and water etc - it still runs well but is possibly a little noisy - thought I would strip the car down for a clean on this rainy Sunday afternoon and just out of interest popped the case on the motor to see what was going on inside - lots of rust greated me! :)

Its still more than usable but I am wondering if it needs a session on a motor lathe - something I dont have as I dont race and never am likely to...

Thoughts?

Offers to do anything to it for me?! :P

post-22523-1223208152.jpg

Well for a 55T it won't see a lot of current, and it shouldn't get a lot of arcing. That means the comm "should" stay nice & round. I would be more worried about that end-bell and any ball-bearings (if the motor has them). I imagine they are in pretty awful condition too. Plus the brush hoods probably have lots of gunk in them causing the crusty brushes to drag. Try to clean everything as best you can, and see if it works well afterward. Other than that, there's not much you can do. A comm cut won't get rid of any gunk in the bearings or brush hoods...

Well for a 55T it won't see a lot of current, and it shouldn't get a lot of arcing. That means the comm "should" stay nice & round. I would be more worried about that end-bell and any ball-bearings (if the motor has them). I imagine they are in pretty awful condition too. Plus the brush hoods probably have lots of gunk in them causing the crusty brushes to drag. Try to clean everything as best you can, and see if it works well afterward. Other than that, there's not much you can do. A comm cut won't get rid of any gunk in the bearings or brush hoods...

Thats for that - I have done what you said and just cleaned it out as best I can - I have a can of motor cleaner here but I havent used it yet - it says I should oil the bearings afterwards - does this just mean the ones at either end of the can?

Sorry for the noob style questions! ;)

Thats for that - I have done what you said and just cleaned it out as best I can - I have a can of motor cleaner here but I havent used it yet - it says I should oil the bearings afterwards - does this just mean the ones at either end of the can?

Sorry for the noob style questions! ;)

That's exactly what it means. The motor spray will wash the oil right out fo the ball-bearings (which is good), so you will want a drop or two of light machine oil back in their. You can get the stuff at any hobby store. I've had really good results an inexpensive oil I got from local model train store. It comes in a long clear squeze tube with an odd looking red-rubber nozzle/end (and a tiny white cap). Otherwise any r/c store will have something just as good for you...

That's exactly what it means. The motor spray will wash the oil right out fo the ball-bearings (which is good), so you will want a drop or two of light machine oil back in their. You can get the stuff at any hobby store. I've had really good results an inexpensive oil I got from local model train store. It comes in a long clear squeze tube with an odd looking red-rubber nozzle/end (and a tiny white cap). Otherwise any r/c store will have something just as good for you...

Despite all the rust, the comm doesn't look too terrible. The suggestion of bathing it in motor cleaner spray and applying light oil is a good one. I'd dump everything into a plastic tub, fill it with some motor spray and agitate it a little to help get all the gunk out. If you don't have a lathe, a simple comm stick will help bring some life back to the comm/brushes, although you may need some new brushes depending on their condition. If you compete, save this as your training/bashing motor and get a new one for serious use. I think the Integy motors aren't crazy expensive right?

I would just source some motor bearings, tap out the old ones and fit the new ones, whilst the bearings are out, give everything a good scrub and leave to dry. Get someone to give your com a light skim and fit a new set of brushes, motor should be almost as good as new then.

Thanks for all the advice everyone - I cant see me competing with it ever so no worries there - will just apply some tlc to it and carry on using it - and at 15 a pop its no big deal anyway!

You can renovate the comm with some silicon carbide sand paper and a drill, not at all as good as a lathe but it's much easier to do if you don't have a lathe...

ive always had good luck with cleaning everythign with a brush and laquer thinner. expesialy the bushings. Then id clean the comm with some 220 and keep doing it till the comm is all ligth colored then go over it with 1200 untll its smooth then i use aluminum billet polish to give it a gloss. oil the bushings too