28yoKid

Which Esc/motor To Create Fire Breathing Fire Dragon?

Good run times! I have managed to trick myself into thinking that 6 mins is reasonable!

The problem with power is that their is more impacts from jumps and more impacts from crashes. Do you think you will go with bigger shocks? Maybe we need to make a roll cage -for the outside!?

Sorry to hear about the chassis damage. Some thundershot chassis going on ebay at the moment. Maybe worth a look?

Still waiting for my batteries!

Yup I did some insane jumps with it - in fact its a word that is constantly going round in my head as I am using it! :)

The shocks are old and the thread isnt gripping the top caps on enough - not sure how to combat that - I have some E-Maxx shocks which I may bodge on although they are longer - but the backend is dragging everywhere anyway due to the huge acceleration forces involved!

I did and missed out on one last night - its no biggy though - it still goes ok as it is!

The shocks are old and the thread isnt gripping the top caps on enough - not sure how to combat that

Hi, 2 thoughts that I had on that were ;- 1) paint the cap screw threads (and maybe also the inside of the cap's screw thread as well) with thick household wall paint, it reduces the tolerances so they don't strip so easily and/or 2) add a dab of Super Glue.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

You should be getting much better run times than 6 minutes!

Yeah, my batts are really old, I won them with some resto projects on ebay, they can do about 10-20 mins in the Pumpkin tho! My 3300 is having a new connector soldered on and 2x 4600s on their way in the post...supposably!

Anyone put an ezrun in a 2WD????? Would love to know the driveablility!

Its going in my M03 at the moment. Will test it at the weekend.

I think it maybe too mad. I should certainly turn the punch to soft to help the wheelspin.

Its going in my M03 at the moment. Will test it at the weekend.

I think it maybe too mad. I should certainly turn the punch to soft to help the wheelspin.

I think in an M03 you might see the first RC smoking burnout as you try to pull away! :)

This is you >>

I'm going to try the ezRun in a Dyna Blaster when I get five minutes...

Cool. Would love to hear your findings!

Yeah, my batts are really old, I won them with some resto projects on ebay, they can do about 10-20 mins in the Pumpkin tho! My 3300 is having a new connector soldered on and 2x 4600s on their way in the post...supposably!

Anyone put an ezrun in a 2WD????? Would love to know the driveablility!

Guys

Ezrun is "just" a motor/esc brand... any equivalent product would be just as good, it just happens that these are cheaper than most of the others. And by

"equivalent" I mean brushed motors too.

I have the 35A/9T combo and I'm perfectly happy with it, don't get me wrong, but it's just "a" motor/contro combination.

Btw mine is slapped on a Losi XXX that I run on a proper track. Plenty fast for me, but then again not much different from a good "mild modified" brushed motor.

If the car bottoms out on acceleration you need to use thicker oil and springs in the rear (ideally you'd need smaller holes in the pistons too to control pack but afaik this gen of CVA shocks wasn't using this possibility in the piston choices).

Paul

Took the Fire Dragon to the beach today. It is just was too fast for the grassy bits and often became airbourne at the slightest incline.

Never thought I'd say it, but, maybe there is such a thing as too much power...? Or maybe I just haven't found the right place to drive it yet...

Was hoping for some sand running but the tide was in...Doh!

Just like a real car, it's only as fast as the person driving tells it to be. If your throttle is overly sensitive, turn down the "throttle high" EPA. If your controller doesn't have this, get one that does... :lol:

You can also adjjust the speed control settings. Turn the punch control down to the lowest setting to pull back some of the wacky acceleration...

Just like a real car, it's only as fast as the person driving tells it to be. If your throttle is overly sensitive, turn down the "throttle high" EPA. If your controller doesn't have this, get one that does... ;)

You can also adjjust the speed control settings. Turn the punch control down to the lowest setting to pull back some of the wacky acceleration...

Good advice 94eg. I guess that it is more a reflection of my driving style! But the power delivery is a little like that... it seems to be slow at first like it is overcoming the gear, then wooosh, maximum attack!

A bad workman...! :lol:

Also I secretly like the feeling of giving it the full beans!

I think in an M03 you might see the first RC smoking burnout as you try to pull away! :lol:

I am running Tamiya super slicks on the front which are pretty grippy. After testing last night it spun the wheels inside the tyres. I need to superglue them and retry. But loving the power.

EZRun ate My Tyres!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took my Fire Dragon, out on tarmac for the first time tonight. It was amazing, so much faster than my offroad attempts. It was so crazy I just had to knock on my neighbours door so he could experience the insanity!

At the end of the run (which I am glad to say I was getting the hang of it) I noticed a new challenge;

My tyres where worn half way down the spikes... :D

Now these were pretty much brand new before the 15 mins. I reckon another 2/3 runs and my tyres will be down to slicks! Although this is funny, I need some advice. What new tyres should I get that will wear slower??????

Maybe new wheels too?

Switch to on-road tires. This also means you will need a dedicated set of wheels as on-road tires MUST be glued on. I don't know exactly how the wheels are affixed to your car, but I can say MOST Tamiya Wheels have a 12mm hex. If your car does not use these hexes to attach the wheels, you will need the pin-type wheel adapter kit (it's cheap). Then get yourself some DF03 wheels as they are the modern 2.2" diameter to fit modern tires. The cool thing is that there are several choices in colors with this wheel. I know there used to be some limited edition colors sold by jr-rc on eBay...

If you want mixed on/off road capabilites, then get the DF03 tires (the less expensive type). If you want dedicated on-road tires, get Pro-line Dirt-Hawgs or Traxxas Anicondas. Just make sure they are sets for 4WD buggies and not trucks as you be very dissapointed getting the wrong size. Both my friends have those tyres and they hold up great on 4WD buggies. The car with the Anaconda's is a Kyosho Lazer ZX5 with Novak 3.5R Velocity brushless system. It's ruined many batteries, but the tires are still holding up fine. Personally I would suggest these as an on-road tire...

Thanks 94eg!

Great advice. I am glad I can get tyres that can do both on/off road. I expect the increased width will increase traction in both situations(?)

I felt so guilty that I had 'raped' my Fire Dragon that I stripped down both gearboxes and re greased them!!!

Guilt trip over. :D

The narrow DF03 front wheels/tires may cause the car to handle a little differently, but it should be a good change (less oversteer). The modern tires will definitely give the car more traction overall. Especially on tarmac. The large spikes on 80's tires were meant for the super soft unprepped tracks & back-yards of the time. Now I only use original spike tires when bashing in the dirt...

The narrow DF03 front wheels/tires may cause the car to handle a little differently, but it should be a good change (less oversteer). The modern tires will definitely give the car more traction overall. Especially on tarmac. The large spikes on 80's tires were meant for the super soft unprepped tracks & back-yards of the time. Now I only use original spike tires when bashing in the dirt...

I never really considered changing tyres for different surfaces...seems obvious now! The FD is always oversteering, could be something to do with the brushless tho! Am getting used to the power now, lots of medium throttle. When it last went on grass, it was tearing the grass out! :lol:

Broke it again! Every run so far with the FD has ended prematurely with broken bits!

Is this common with this kit type? Last 2 times the shocks came apart and I lost bits. I think I need to upgrade to some alu shocks maybe? :P

Is this common with this kit type? Last 2 times the shocks came apart and I lost bits. I think I need to upgrade to some alu shocks maybe? :P

Yup thats what happens to mine - I thought it was just the old shocks but I guess not - might superglue them lightly to try and hold them together and in the meantime look out for some alu ones.

What pinion have you settled on? Havent used mine for a couple of weeks - waiting to test it with a 14t instead of the insane 13t I was using it with.

Yup thats what happens to mine - I thought it was just the old shocks but I guess not - might superglue them lightly to try and hold them together and in the meantime look out for some alu ones.

What pinion have you settled on? Havent used mine for a couple of weeks - waiting to test it with a 14t instead of the insane 13t I was using it with.

Only the standard pinion seems big enough to make contact with the spur. Just as well as it is already a flurry of wheelspin!

Only the standard pinion seems big enough to make contact with the spur. Just as well as it is already a flurry of wheelspin!

Does yours not have the big motor plate that gives you the option of 13-17 teeth?

Does yours not have the big motor plate that gives you the option of 13-17 teeth?

Ahhh! Thats what that plate means! :P:lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I think I will need wider tyres first.

Ok, got some alu shocks for the FD as last time one of them snapped off! Have taken them on a run and they did not break! Hooray! They are 75mm alu ansmann oil shocks 6 ebay. Bargain. Look pretty mean too :D

DSC_0002-1.jpg