RA1028

Boomerang Re-release

Confirmed by local Tamiya distributor. Boomerang will be the next re-release. :blink:

I suppose it makes sense, in view of the other re-releases (Brat & Frog sharing a chassis, ditto for the Grasshopper & Hornet, & the Pajero MTW chassis now being used on the Toerag) - I seem to remember the Boomerang being mostly Hotshot ...

What I want to know is, when do we get the Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler pairing? :blink: / :C

I seem to remember the Boomerang being mostly Hotshot ...

Mostly Hotshot, however, I need some Boomerang rear arms (R parts) which are one of the few parts that are different, so this is v. good news. That along with a new bodyshell that doesn't cost $200 / 100 (well, maybe 120 now). So woohoo!

It's my first r/c car.

I really feel glad this time for this re-release...

Will buy one to leave NIB.

Max

this is great news, love the boomer and will be able to get a shell on my mates original now. anyone any idea when it may be?

Hope it's true, would be great to build one (or two :blink: ) again. Could I they do the Winger body as well, or would that be a wish to far?

Mostly Hotshot, however, I need some Boomerang rear arms (R parts) which are one of the few parts that are different, so this is v. good news. That along with a new bodyshell that doesn't cost $200 / 100 (well, maybe 120 now). So woohoo!

Really the only thing I despised on the Hotshot was the steering. The Boomerang introduced that semi-rack and pinion steering system, later featured on the Bigwig and Super Sabre, that made a world of difference in the front end. Also gone were those ball pivots and 3 tiny screws that held them in place with thin metal sheet reinforcements. Overall, not a huge difference from the Hotshot, but I'll be getting one to see if I can make a frankenstein Hotshot/Boomerang car that I can compete with in of my local vintage races. Still waiting for the Avante 2001 or Egress as a re-re. But with the economy like it is, I think we will see a slew of entry level cars before Tamiya decides to make a high-end vehicle.

Really the only thing I despised on the Hotshot was the steering. The Boomerang introduced that semi-rack and pinion steering system, later featured on the Bigwig and Super Sabre, that made a world of difference in the front end.

I've never had a Hotshot, but the other steering issue the Boomerang/Sabre have is the way the wheels turn as the suspension compresses (not sure if bump steer is the most accurate term for it, but similar). I believe the Hotshot has the same issue, cos a buddy of mine (94eg! on here) has posted a few times on how to eliminate it.

My biggest problem with the front end of the Boomerang I restored is the slop in the whole thing. It's pretty tricky to describe, but in essence, if you push the left front wheel upwards, the right one will flop downwards, until the shock starts to compress, and vice versa. I have replaced all the ball joints, stabiliser and front arms with new parts to try and get rid of it, cos I don't recall it ever being there when I had a Super Sabre 20 odd years ago, but it's still there. In the end, I found the Tamiya dual front shock conversion on ebay and fitted that. It's completely taken it away (as you might expect!) and made the car so much better to drive. I do need to rebuild the front shocks though, they are very stiff for the first few compressions and it bounces rather than damps until they have sorted themselves out. Could be because they are brand new, but the modern DF-03 plastic body shocks don't do it, so I figure I messed up in the build somewhere.

Really looking forward to the Boomerang coming out again, my only winger body is terrible. I have a NIB Sabre one, but it's just not as nice on the car!

It's pretty tricky to describe, but in essence, if you push the left front wheel upwards, the right one will flop downwards, until the shock starts to compress, and vice versa.

The Fox does the same thing. Once I fitted a Tamiya stabiliser bar set it eliminated that completely. Stopped the inside rear wheel from lifting off the ground and made it very drivable too. Worst chassis I have for bump steer is by far the VLB/Grasshopper setup. It's terrible. I'm hoping a CRP front end and CRP alloy shocks will solve it.

Boomerang re-re is good, don't think I'll rush out and buy one though. I want to see The Fox re-re'd, I'd love a NIB one (or 2) without the high cost :rolleyes:

I've never had a Hotshot, but the other steering issue the Boomerang/Sabre have is the way the wheels turn as the suspension compresses (not sure if bump steer is the most accurate term for it, but similar). I believe the Hotshot has the same issue, cos a buddy of mine (94eg! on here) has posted a few times on how to eliminate it.

My biggest problem with the front end of the Boomerang I restored is the slop in the whole thing. It's pretty tricky to describe, but in essence, if you push the left front wheel upwards, the right one will flop downwards, until the shock starts to compress, and vice versa. I have replaced all the ball joints, stabiliser and front arms with new parts to try and get rid of it, cos I don't recall it ever being there when I had a Super Sabre 20 odd years ago, but it's still there. In the end, I found the Tamiya dual front shock conversion on ebay and fitted that. It's completely taken it away (as you might expect!) and made the car so much better to drive. I do need to rebuild the front shocks though, they are very stiff for the first few compressions and it bounces rather than damps until they have sorted themselves out. Could be because they are brand new, but the modern DF-03 plastic body shocks don't do it, so I figure I messed up in the build somewhere.

Really looking forward to the Boomerang coming out again, my only winger body is terrible. I have a NIB Sabre one, but it's just not as nice on the car!

This is due the front damper. It's too short. Mount a longer one and you will solve the problem.

Max

thanks for the great news!

a friend of mine refused to let me play his boomerang when i was small and all that i could do was

to see it run while i ran my hornet.

well, i'm going to get one now!

The Fox does the same thing. Once I fitted a Tamiya stabiliser bar set it eliminated that completely.

I have a mostly restored Fox too and you're right it does do the same thing! I have a proper stabiliser bar for that, but haven't got round to fitting it yet. My Fox has some very ropey front tyres that are stopping me from driving at the moment. The wreck I bought had some Boomerang size front spikes fitted (badly) to the front wheels. It gets no grip from the front since the tyres are old and hard, with very little tyre in contact with the ground since the spikes are still quite tall. I have some new old stock Fox rib tyres waiting in the UK for me, hopefully when I get a care package sent out from the family at Xmas I'll get them included!

This is due the front damper. It's too short. Mount a longer one and you will solve the problem.

Yep, I noticed that if the 2 fragile parts the front shock mounts to are pushed far enough apart the problem goes away. I decided to go for the dual shock hop-up in the end though, it looks a bit BigWig-esque now, pretty cool.

YES

probably one of my favourite tamiya cars :lol: Loved this car, just needed to ballrace it and it was a great club car (in its day) I loved beating all the pb mustangs and Schumacher cats with my Boomerang :) Infact one week as I won another final the club accused me of cheating as they couldn't believe the car was getting those results. I remember my Dad and me dismantling the car in front of the club officials to show them we didn't have an extra Cell in the car or any other technology.

Has this been confirmed by anyone such as J Anderson or is it just a rumour?

cor, just reading this!, and i was going to post a question about a boomerang,

do you guys think the boomerang will handle a brushless system?

Woohoo! Boomerang re-release! Great news if this is true. I like the look of this car, I was tempted to track one down before... Now I might have to get me a re-release!

It should handle a brushless setup - although the spur gear might not last too well. And the front end is rather fragile, so with more speed, you are more likely to shatter the front gearbox/arms if you ran it into something.

Boomerang didn't come with ball bearings if I remember, so they're a must of course.

The Hot Shot drivetrain is quite noisy as it has a lot of friction in it - I'd love to hear the screaming from the drivetrain with that much power in it!

- James

dear santa

if you are reading this, you know exactly what you have to do.

As you guess, my adress did not change from the 541256 letters I sent you in the past 4 years.

tom4

Well I figured I would add a pic to all these threads:

2008101612430000.jpg