Sign in to follow this  
dhonda200

Motor Overheating

Hi my precision 27t motor dosnt seem to have any power and keeps over heating when i use it i was woundering if anyone knew why?

Hi my precision 27t motor dosnt seem to have any power and keeps over heating when i use it i was woundering if anyone knew why?

Make sure that the drive train isn't binding. Take out the motor and run it no-load to see if there's something mechanically wrong, like shot bearings or bushings, or maybe the brushes need to be replaced. If the brushes are too worn out or burnt, they won't make proper contact with the comm causing an increase in resistance, and you'll experience overheating. I'm assuming you have a rebuildable motor.

yea i ran it in the air it seemed fine in the air didnt over heat i sold it to my friend and he has it in his stampede now. it dosnt over heat imidiatly it takes time . I chanegd the brushes before i sold it to him so they look like new not warn at all altho there out of a diferent motor. the comm looks fin not burn't, and its nice round flat. bushings are fine ive oiled them too. so idk if u have sugestions i have the same motor in my truck and mine runs cold and has more torque then his.

Could be different gearing? Perhaps you need a smaller pinion and/or bigger spur to make them run the same...

Also, did you check to make sure the cars gearbox runs smooth without the motor in place?

well mayby its the gearing, the gear box is fine. Hes running it in his stampede and im running mine in my xtm xcellerator. Its a vintage precision bad animal 27t motor. So mayby it cant handle the big tires altho idk y it couldnt?

Go on RCTech.net and do a search for "rollout". This helps you figure out gearing ratios when using different sized tires. Tire diameter makes just as much of a difference as pinion and spur sizes. Your cars available final drive ratios should be listed in your manual (for each pinion/spur size that fits). Then you calculate rollout based on tire diameter and final-drive ratio. This will allow you to put the exact same gearing in both vehicles for direct comparison...

If you don't want to go through all that, just get yourself some smaller pinions and play around with the gearing. This will definitely help...