Wandy

The Credit Crunch - Not Affecting Some Sellers It Seems

Just browsing Jason's store as I do frequently to see the latest vintage Tamiya treasure he has somehow managed to unearth and I noticed that his prices seem even more lofty than normal!!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Jasons-Store

Now I know this beacuse the full option Knight Hauler that I bought from him last year had stayed at a price that worked out at 320 delivered to my door. That same kit would now cost me 412.. a rise in price of approximately 28%. :rolleyes:

I noticed that the likes of NIB FAVs and Wild Ones used to sell for 275, but the price of them recently has been more than 310. They still sold to someone though!

How can he justify the price rises? The price of oil maybe? And as the oil prices are now dropping again will he revert to the old price tags?

P.S. 800 for a NIB 959 delivered to my door. Tempting?....not in this economic climate.

It has been said that the credit crunch will bring a dose of reality to the markets where the cost of goods/services/property/entertainment will be much more realistic....so when will it affect the vintage Tamiya market? Or will it at all?

Ive notoiced the amount of srb's appearing on ebay lately and the prices seem to dropping faster day by day or they dont sell, if youve got the money its going to be a buyers market real soon

Ive notoiced the amount of srb's appearing on ebay lately and the prices seem to dropping faster day by day or they dont sell, if youve got the money its going to be a buyers market real soon

That's my feeling too. Infact I'm already watching a few things that are currently low on price that would ordinarily fetch a lot more than the current price. Of course they may jump at the last minute but hopefully not!

a rise in price of approximately 28%. :D

Alot of that will have something to do with the weak I recon. also alot of mail companies have jacked their prices up due to rising fuel costs. (saying that I just bought unleaded petrol for 1 a litre, which is a drop of about 21% since 2 weeks ago)

yeah, I've noticed the price of SRB's is dropping a little too. IMO, the 2 cars that possible gave slightly better value for money in recent times where the Super Champ, and the Ranger. Rough Rider's seem to command good money for a good one, and Sand Scorcher's seem to be "Holy Grail" money.....

Me personally, I'm looking forward to the bottom dropping out the market, I'll be snapping a few up!! I'm not too bothered about the value of mine, as I just think they're cool, and they make me laugh when I drive them.

I've had a feeling that this was going to happen for the last month. Irresponsible lending by banks and building societies, people borrowing more than they can afford, maxed out on credit........ I went for a mortgage quote last year, as I am thinking of moving up to a bigger house, and the amount of money they were willing to lend me was just silly, and foolish.

P.S--- I don't normally do politics!

Just browsing Jason's store as I do frequently to see the latest vintage Tamiya treasure he has somehow managed to unearth and I noticed that his prices seem even more lofty than normal!!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Jasons-Store

Now I know this beacuse the full option Knight Hauler that I bought from him last year had stayed at a price that worked out at 320 delivered to my door. That same kit would now cost me 412.. a rise in price of approximately 28%. ;)

I noticed that the likes of NIB FAVs and Wild Ones used to sell for 275, but the price of them recently has been more than 310. They still sold to someone though!

How can he justify the price rises? The price of oil maybe? And as the oil prices are now dropping again will he revert to the old price tags?

P.S. 800 for a NIB 959 delivered to my door. Tempting?....not in this economic climate.

It has been said that the credit crunch will bring a dose of reality to the markets where the cost of goods/services/property/entertainment will be much more realistic....so when will it affect the vintage Tamiya market? Or will it at all?

In Japan Yahoo, outsiders cannot buy / sellers will not ship out of Japan. So buyer must go through a middleman (not sure if is the law or the Japanese don't have a handle on English or whatever the reasons are :) ) Jason's along with TamiyaRC and other few ebay sellers from Japan can buy from Yahoo Japan and turn around and put on ebay world. As for the NIB going up I would say 1) they are vantage model and no word of Tamiya doing a re-release so they can keep the price high and 2) we are heading towards X-mas 3) the effects of the credit crunch hasn't fully developed and if it does could be a buyers market. Wait...I have some NIB to sell myself :D

I noticed that the likes of NIB FAVs and Wild Ones used to sell for 275,
when you could get almost $2 for the pound, so roughly $550
but the price of them recently has been more than 310.
when the pound is worth $1.75, so again roughly $545.

No price rise at all, just the value of the pound is dropping relative to the value of the dollar. The actual prices he has put them on ebay for are exactly the same. If the pound starts to increase again you will see all the prices miraculously dropping again.

I would have expected Jason and everyone else to put their prices up recently and it has nothing to do with the doom and gloom merchants' self fulfilling world crisis. Unless you haven't sold anything on ebay recently you should know about the massive ebay fee rises that have put many if the smaller traders out of business.

The usual rules apply with Jason as with anywhere else. If you think they are asking for too much don't buy it and just move on. Moaning about it will make no difference to the price. Personally I have never bought anything from Jason as if I really wanted something I spent my time looking for it elsewhere and found it cheaper. If I want something that is still in production ebay is the last place I look for it as it usually cheaper in online shops.

Jason can price his goods at whatever he thinks is the market value, obviously he gets it right as he is a successful seller.

He hasn't jacked the prices. Purely due to exchange rate fluctuation. Prices are in USD. USD JPY rates 6 months ago were 115 Yen to the USD and GBP to USD were over 2.10. Your 1 bought 241 JPY (Yen). Now with GBP USD at 1.70 ish and USD JPY at 100, your 1 buys 170 JPY.

Main reason for this is that although Gordon Brown likes to tell everyone the credit crisis is a global problem, caused by the US, in spite of having the highest interest rates compared to Japan and the US, people would rather hold their currencies than ours as 10 years of labour has made our economy such a basket case. Sterling is weak and likely to get weaker.

Prices from HK (HKD is pegged to the USD) and from other countries over seas will go up. They are not profiteering, our just doesn't buy what it used to.

In reality, this means we are less likely to buy from abroad, and more likely to spend our money internally in the UK at local hobby stores as well as other countries buying more products from the UK as they are 'cheaper', thus helping our economy out of recession.

I wonder how his sales to the UK are going? Bet a lot of money they are down.

Yeah I forgot to figure in the value of the pound. For the record though I wasn't 'moaning' about Jason's or anyone elses prices, merely making an observation that the cost of buying from Japan, for UK buyers anyway, has now become prohibitive and it's a bit of a sickener because buying from Jason and Stella has always proved very fruitfull for me. Now though I figure it's no cheaper to buy from them than here in the UK so Mr Shopkeeper must be rubbing his hands with glee as I and others will now buy from him, unless the pound regains it's strength against the dollar.

Until I run out of the dollars I bought when it a 1GBP bought more than 2USD, I will be happy with these prices ;-)

Paul.

I get 90% of my stuff from HK and the weak has made it not really worth doing anymore, but I had my fun when I was getting $2.1/1 so I cant complain now its gone the other way, its all just swings and roundabouts. Its like house prices, eveyone thought it was great when they went up 60% but then when they drop 10% its a disaster.

Love it, you are so right ;-)

They are only toys, who cares if they are a fiver more or less, much worse could happen!

Paul.

Actually I just looked at my old PayPal records and notice that I paid $635 18 months ago for my Knight Hauler from Jason. The price is now $725 so the price has definitely gone up in that time, regardless of currency values.