ryanbored

Lost... And Found?

Do you guys have a system for storing stuff? I find I spend ages looking for something, and then get so distracted by other stuff I find and forgot I have! :P

Then I buy stuff from ebay etc that I already have...

Or sell something I think I have loads of...

The problem is there are too many catagories, and stuff fits in more than one. For example; Do you put servo horns in the "electronics drawer" or in the "spares drawer"? Or split it up half and half?! and do you keep the servo screws with them? Or do they go in the "screws section" of the "spares drawer"? Or do they go with your electronics too? And that's just servo horns...

I think I have issues.:blink:

The problem is there are too many catagories, and stuff fits in more than one. For example; Do you put servo horns in the "electronics drawer" or in the "spares drawer"? Or split it up half and half?! and do you keep the servo screws with them? Or do they go in the "screws section" of the "spares drawer"? Or do they go with your electronics too? And that's just servo horns...

I think I have issues.:P

My servo horns go in the servo saver draw,my servo screws go in the self tapping screw draw. But this is the idea and i allways find stuff mixed up,and if you have issues I do also :blink:

I found half my stashed SandScorcher rear body clip... Yay :P

I just throw eveything in a big box and every time I need something I just empty out the box onto the floor and start looking. The joy is finding that tiny screw and nut or the let down is you are just missing the one nut you need. :P

It really depends on how many containers or compartmentnize box (best to store screws and nuts) you have and the amount of space or shelf. Tamiya used to put out a great container that comes with dividers inside, great for storing tools and just for parts.

I just throw eveything in a big box and every time I need something I just empty out the box onto the floor and start looking.

LOL!! I'd never get anything done!!

I use those organiser boxes you get from DIY shops for storing screws, etc.

It's the bigger parts that are a problem - spare chassis, wheels, tyres, etc.

<geekmode>

I tried creating a database of all my parts so I could track them better, but

it's too much of a pain in the backside to keep up to date.

</geekmode>

<muppetmode>

I bought a manual that I thought I'd been after for ages, only to open up

my manuals drawer to see I already had it!

</muppetmode>

I have a nightmare organising my spares. I got a stacking parts box for storing little things like screws, but quickly found that my quantity of spares exceeded the size of the compartments, and that some spares don't always fit in the boxes. Quite annoying, really!

I now keep small things seperated into their own compartments in the stacking box - self-tapping screws, M3 screws, nuts, washers, misc. sized screws, tie-wraps, body posts, gears, swivel hubs, etc...

I also have various big cardboard boxes filled with other spares. I have two huge boxes of wheels & tyres (one off-road, one on-road). I have a huge box filled with half-used parts trees, spare plastics, modified bits, etc... If I have a complete "set" of something (e.g. TL01 arms after I fitted a TL01-LA kit to my chassis) then I'll bag it up in a clear sandwich bag, label it with a marker, and throw it in the plastic parts box. If I have a specific project or chassis that has a lot of specific spares, then it will all be boxed up as one. I have smaller carboard boxes for Friction Shock Parts, Oil Shock Parts, Driver Figure Parts, Motors, Servo Horns & Parts, Radio & Battery Eqpt (inc. ESCs & MSCs), paintbrushes, and probably some random Misc stuff that I've forgotten about.

My loft is just full of carboard boxes full of junk. There's definately enough bits up there to put together a really rough basher buggy (Monster Beetle chassis & front hubs, Grasshopper gearbox) and probably enough to build a new TT01 should I ever find myself with some spare chassis.

:P

I buy Plano storage containers and write the name of the chassis on it with a marker. Each chassis gets its own box and it works for several cars worth of spares. When I need a DF-02 part I just grab that box. They have a bunch of odd sized compartments for screws and such as well as large areas for parts trees too.

Simple and works a treat. For the most common parts like screws, clips, washers, bearings or whatever, if you run out in one box, chances are there's an identical part in some other box.

My spares got out of control so I bought a load of storage draws from B&Q, 15 a piece and well worth it. I have all my parts, paint, oils, manuals ect. Parts all sorted into makes/models. Very easy to find things now.

n1245451677_183161_5463.jpg

n1245451677_183162_5810.jpg

n1245451677_183163_6154.jpg

n1245451677_183164_6597.jpg

My spares got out of control so I bought a load of storage draws from B&Q, 15 a piece and well worth it. I have all my parts, paint, oils, manuals ect. Parts all sorted into makes/models. Very easy to find things now.

n1245451677_183162_5810.jpg

n1245451677_183163_6154.jpg

n1245451677_183164_6597.jpg

LOL!

LOL. I dont really have many spares, I have an old shoe box which is full of misc stuff like wheels and chassis parts, a big drawer in a nice old wooden boox which i found thrown out full of all my electronics, another smaller drawer with afew motors that i want to keep in good condition, an old plastic chocolate box with all the dead/blown up motors i just pull apart for spares, a nice metal tin full of screws and nuts ect, a plastic container with a compartments and a lid which has shocks in it, a brand new body shell which i found thrown out(friend of mine used to have an old petrol car, sold the car and threw the new shell out) i turned it upside down and filled it with all the junk i have lying around and a nice raaco metal storage thing found thrown out, missing afew drawers but holds all the little washers and screws.

Quite an interesting storage system dont you think?

Dazaa

Ive got a couple of 'briefcase' style storage things with lift out sections of varying sizes - these contain (all sorted); Self tappers, bolts, nuts, eclips/washers, body clips, suspension parts etc etc.

Then there are 2 huge stacker boxes full of old sprues, bodies and wheels.

Then there are the 2 old highlift boxes - 1 has all spare electric bits and 1 has all the paint things.

Took me at least a day to sort everything out :)

I found half my stashed SandScorcher rear body clip... Yay :)

LOL. i always have the problem of being 1 screw short.

I use those organiser boxes you get from DIY shops for storing screws, etc.

It's the bigger parts that are a problem - spare chassis, wheels, tyres, etc.

<geekmode>

I tried creating a database of all my parts so I could track them better, but

it's too much of a pain in the backside to keep up to date.

</geekmode>

<muppetmode>

I bought a manual that I thought I'd been after for ages, only to open up

my manuals drawer to see I already had it!

</muppetmode>

<geekmode>That sounds like a great idea, bit of course my computer would just crash when i need it.</geekmode>

all of my rc stuff is in little containers like altoids containers or a tackle box that is stuffed un the same bag or bx the car is. that way the parts for each car is already with it if i take the car somewhere or need the car. now i just need a receiver to randomly pop out of no where because i broke an old antenna wire on my 4 year old jumper car. ;)

I totally forgot I had an Avante in the cupboard. All my models are out on display, bar that one. Went in to find bits for the Bear Hawk, and there it was...

MRD 1982 I think you are my new role model - that is the coolest thing I have ever seen for storage!

Mind you, it makes my paltry couple of Plano storage bins pale in comparison, but I can live with it.... :)

Hmmm. That would be Ideal for my spare room, and I don't really need the futon in there...

I've got a plastic bag with 8 sets of second hand wheels with one spare wheel.

A container with a speedy and reciever. The tt01 box with for equipment transport, the box for my LRP speedy to store its manual, cable ties, and a metre of black and red wire. A container with a spare motor and a 1900mah battery.

Everything usually sits on my desk. My bodies sit live on a fold out metal table.

My spares got out of control...

:D:blink::wub: :wub:

That is niiiiice! I have icecream containers and kit boxes.

Finding screw boxes that seal each compartment off properly when closed for screws and spacers etc is my biggest worry.

Storage is fun - feels good to have "issues" storing it all well.

'I have issues' LOL

Finding screw boxes that seal each compartment off properly when closed for screws and spacers etc is my biggest worry.

I often had this problem buying generic plastic storage boxes with divided drawers. Mostly of them were poorly made, get stuck easily, need lots of trimming before they'll operate smoothly etc... but I find 10 minutes with a hot glue gun is enough to seal up all the dividers, and they're much better!