Sign in to follow this  
G-223

Standard Touring Wheels, Jeep Tyres?

Hi, Im fitting a Kamtech Bowler Wildcat shell onto a TL-01 and im struggeling to find the proper wheels and tyres for the job, anyone help? links to modelsports site with the products needed would be perfect

Thanks very much

Re-re Pajero wheels & tyres are probably the way to go - the wheels are 12mm hex drive & 52mm OD, same as average touring car wheels, they're wider, but the offset is much greater , which, um ... offsets the width issue :)

The tyres are taller too (obviously) at 86mm, but that 20mm extra will give you 10mm more ground clearance... you can put 65mm shocks on the TL01 instead of the stock 55mm - that extra 20mm total lift should give it some off road capability.

I've (hopefully) got a wildcat shell coming soon, I'd like to see how you get on :)

edit - examples on ebay:

no ebay links to live auctions unless they are your own

Try these

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Tamiya-Tyres-...p/ta9805481.htm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...3b0e640ffa4a65d

What is a Bowler Wildcat shell? Just curious...

Lost in translation, or a you just not a big enough petrolhead ? :)

Shell = body

Bowler Wildcat = Land Rover with attitude

see the pajero wheels, do they fit straight onto the TL01 chassis or will they need spaced out from the hubs so theres clearence? are there any rubbing issues ???

Thanks

see the pajero wheels, do they fit straight onto the TL01 chassis or will they need spaced out from the hubs so theres clearence? are there any rubbing issues ???

Thanks

You'll definitely have to trim a little off the inside of the front bumper and/or have to space it out a little from the gearbox, other than that, the only tight point is where the steering arms connect to the uprights - the TL01 uprights have particularly long arms, and there's only 1mm or so clearance between the steering arm and the tyre sidewall, so if things are a bit worn you might want to fit a washer between the hex drive and the wheel.

The blue Pajero uprights can be used in place of the TL01 uprights (they have much shorter "arms"), but then you'll lose some of the steering angle (wider turning circle).

Brillinat, thanks for the quick reply, im sure ill get something sorted out if its fairly close to fitting, im not worried about removing a bit of the front bumper bar, just didnt really want to start into getting new hubs and arms and spaceing the **** out of them still.

thanks again

A word of caution though - I've got no idea whether those wheels & tyres will fit under the Wildcat arches ... I'll take some measurements (tomorrow - I have to get to bed) of the wheels so you can make some card mockups before you buy the wheels.

As Terry has shown with his link to my Bowler the Pajero wheels fit very nicely in the arches.

If you have a clearance issue with the wheels you have two options,

1/ get some blackfoot rear axles they are longer and with a small amount of thinking out of the box they work well. Its what I have used on my TB-01 Chassised Bowler.

2/ Get some 58246 Stadium Raider wheels, they have a very slight offset. So you shouldnt have many issues with tyre rub.

The photo below is an example of my widened axles on my TB-01 Bowler. Not only does it help with spacing it also made it wider and alot more stable than it was :blink:

Bowler%20Wide.JPG

can someone measure the width of the pajero tyres at the bead and at the tread, and the internal diameter of the tyre, thinking of fittin them onto regular touring rims, for now, then getting the tourage rims at a later date, is scarce at the min sadly