28yoKid

Monster Beetle Resto Project Help Please!

Hi people, I need some nits to complete my resto project.

I need the front L shaped bars for the spot lights and the Steering servo metal brace. Both parts are in the pressed parts bag.

Don't care if they are separate or used.

Also I need a front lamp, used, new, broken as you want.

Thanks

Max

hi mate

i have the servo brace .send me your address and ill post it out to you.

heres a link to a ebay auction with the blackfoot spots.i bought a set as i thought they were the same too,from looking at the manuals.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-58110-Super-B...A1%7C240%3A1318

ill pm it to you too incase it gets deleted.

heres a link to my mb crp motor plate. :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/tamiya-monster-beetl...A1%7C240%3A1318

That was a shameless auction plug :D

I just had to buy that, my monster beetles fake technigold keeps ripping the stock motor mounts apart :lol:

was a bit naughty,thought it would have been removed by now.but it worked.

will try to get this out to you tomorrow mate.if not then the first day the po is open.

ben

Big thanks to ben for this addition to my MB:

monsterbeetlecrpmotormount.jpg

monsterbeetlecrpmotormount2.jpg

Great little piece of kit. CRP stuff was so well made, precision!

The technigold has an odd, wide can, so I had to file a little area of the right suspension arm to avoid contact. I can imagine this was common practice back in the day!

I've fitted a 13 tooth pinion. 3 teeth larger than stock, but hopefully the technigolds torque will over come that. A small pinion certainly wouldn't fit, as there would be too much interference between motor and suspension. Top speed will be higher now though, so I'm looking forward to the test run tomorrow! I'm going to cover the hole with tape just like CRP suggest. The CRP hardware isn't long enough to allow the stock pinion cover to fit - though if you did fit it you wouldn't be able to set the pinion mesh properly.

My modded monster beetle will always be an ongoing restoration. It started life as a standard MB i bought locally off of ebay. I bought a few CRP parts whilst I was restoring it, with the intention of making a durable runner. I guess it was that "durable" idea that's lead to the bug as it is today! So far I've fitted the following:

Ball Bearings

CRP -

Rear suspension mounts, rear suspension supports and bushing.

Chassis, body mount bracing

Differential supports

Steering knuckles and servo saver

CRA rear anti roll bars (modern version of vintage parts)

Thorp Dirt burner ball diff, dog bone drive shafts and counter gear

Graupner RX 540 VZ (technigold with a different sticker!)

I've done a few other home done mods, swapping screws for nuts and bolts and cutting and shutting of the rear body mounts.

More piccys in my showroom!

Keep up the great work on the MB's guys!

hi mate

heres a link to a ebay auction with the blackfoot spots.i bought a set as i thought they were the same too,from looking at the manuals.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-58110-Super-B...A1%7C240%3A1318

for anyone who wants to know,i have built up a spots bar using blackfoot spots.they are not exactly the same as mb ones,slight difference on the front detail,but are the same size and do fit.

here a few pics in my showroom

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...6&sid=10679

for anyone who wants to know,i have built up a spots bar using blackfoot spots.they are not exactly the same as mb ones,slight difference on the front detail,but are the same size and do fit.

here a few pics in my showroom

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...6&sid=10679

now completed the body on my gold chassis mb.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...91&id=10679

got the decals from a guy on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-Sand-Scorcher...oQQcmdZViewItem

these are real vinyl pre cut.not paper backed vinyl.

they are not exactly the same as originals but i didnt pay originals price.

im gonna buy a few more sets.

:rolleyes: HI

Beetle project looks fantastic!! It's me you actually bought the stickers from on ebay!

Excellent to see them been put to good use, would you mind if we used some pics of your car on our website?? we're putting together a gallery of RC projects at the moment that have used our stickers.... this is one the best we've seen yet

thanks

Jez

hi mate

thanks for the comment

the decals are real good quality.very happy with them.

if you pm me you email ,ill email you some hi res pics if you like.or if you wanted to use the one on this site ,thats cool too.

Right, seeing as how this string's been quiet for a while thought I'd drop in some photos. Finally got round to stripping the last of the paint off with the dot4. Hasn't turned out too bad. Realised one of the uprights is slightly bent but not a big deal. Needs a good rub down with some glass paper next.

P2050568.jpg

P2050569.jpg

Have built chassis back up with the CRP chassis brace Mrs Driver bought me for christmas (bless her, forgot to delete the feedback request from ebay so I knew it was coming :) ) and new rear arms but have Frog UJ's on order and have received the Frog bevel gears and new diff bag so I can rebuild the gearbox so it's all coming apart again! Chassis brace rocks by the way, good bit of kit and a worthy upgrade. Planning on a couple more mods as well but as ever funds need to be found first. Already got Mtronics 20T Viper esc and going to put a Super Stock BZ in it (I do like these motors). Will be spraying wheels as one of the fronts had a big crack round the rim so have replaced it with a vanilla blackfoot wheel. They're a bit scuffed anyway so a good rub down needed. Toying with paint scheme, fancy something different but note sure what.

P2050570.jpg

P2050571.jpg

Looking good Leethal Driver! An idea I had for a wheel colour scheme is Gun Metal grey as found on classic BMW's. Thats how I think I will paint my personal MB project wheels (not the one I intend to sell).

7556697130d6d416b29xw9.jpg

I also bought a Mtronics 20T Viper esc but I am going to start with a cheaper motor, and then maybe upgrade.

Will you attach the nose cone first and then paint it or will you paint them separately?

Looking good Leethal Driver! An idea I had for a wheel colour scheme is Gun Metal grey as found on classic BMW's. Thats how I think I will paint my personal MB project wheels (not the one I intend to sell).

7556697130d6d416b29xw9.jpg

I also bought a Mtronics 20T Viper esc but I am going to start with a cheaper motor, and then maybe upgrade.

Will you attach the nose cone first and then paint it or will you paint them separately?

coming together now leethal.

check out my showroom for paint ideas.

or what i did was search the blitzer beetle,scorcher members rides for ideas.

ive just ended up with another mb now,i dont know how?ive been searching google images for real beetle paint schemes.

i think for my new one im going with a reverse scorcher scheme.as this seems to be more like the 1:1 real thing.

the chassis support looks real good.i think im gonna get one now.

and mymonsterbeetleisbrokens rear sway bar looks cool,but seem to be very rare.

i think i may now upgrade my chrome one with frog rear drive shafts,and the front frog under guard?plus the chassis support?

Not sure if this is the rigt place to post this but does anyone know where i can get a set of new MB gold wheels, looked on ebay but it was 65 quid just for the rear pair :) oh and i could do with some new springs as the ones one mine are rusting or are there any other vehicles springs that are compatible with the Beetle shocks.

Thanks

Not sure if this is the rigt place to post this but does anyone know where i can get a set of new MB gold wheels, looked on ebay but it was 65 quid just for the rear pair :) oh and i could do with some new springs as the ones one mine are rusting or are there any other vehicles springs that are compatible with the Beetle shocks.

Thanks

hi mate

theres a guy on here that has rear new for sale a lot cheaper

www.tamiyaclub.com/trades_model.asp?cid=77007

as to fronts maybe you will just have to wait for a set to come up here or ebay.

hi mate

theres a guy on here that has rear new for sale a lot cheaper

www.tamiyaclub.com/trades_model.asp?cid=77007

as to fronts maybe you will just have to wait for a set to come up here or ebay.

Thanks a lot for that link, i'll pm him about some of those, any idea's on the springs?

Thanks a lot for that link, i'll pm him about some of those, any idea's on the springs?

only ebay really.or put an add in the trade section "wanted"someones probably got a set lying around doing nothing.

Hi all! Glad to see MB restos are in full flow! After some lean months I have restarted my resto project. :(

Finally added a sunroof and rear boot handle (trunk in the US)! Am pleased to see the bug taking shape. Hopefully in time for a summer sunday run by the beach.

Does anyone know what colour the number plate surrounds should be?

Will post some new pigs when I get home this pm.

I meant pics **** blackberry!

Hi all, just thought I'd add some pics of the resto. Since last pics, new "glass", sunroof and rear boot handle. Still lots of bits to go such as wipers and spots, but I figure do a bit at a time...

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_00432.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Would make a nice living room ornament I think! PS why is there a hole in the sunroof? Is it for cooling?

Hi all, just thought I'd add some pics of the resto. Since last pics, new "glass", sunroof and rear boot handle. Still lots of bits to go such as wipers and spots, but I figure do a bit at a time...

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_00432.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Would make a nice living room ornament I think! PS why is there a hole in the sunroof? Is it for cooling?

The shell is a blitzer beetle shell which had the hole in the sunroof for the aerial to pass through. The Monster Beetle shell has the aerial mounted to the rear skid plate/bumper. I think most of the Monster Beetles you see now have the blitzer shell as its the only one available to use. You can fill the hole if it bothers you, i have done this on mine.

Colin.

Thanks Colin, that makes sense.

How can I tell if my shell is a bonafide MonsterB shell or a Blitzer Shell?

Also, any tips on filling the hole?

Cheers

Blitzer shells are made from black plastic.

I used a blitzer sun roof when I restored my Sand Scorcher, because getting the paint off the original was taking time!

I filled the hole with automotive body filler. Once sanded flat with wet and dry paper it is totally unnoticeable.

Blitzer shells are made from black plastic.

I used a blitzer sun roof when I restored my Sand Scorcher, because getting the paint off the original was taking time!

I filled the hole with automotive body filler. Once sanded flat with wet and dry paper it is totally unnoticeable.

Thanks MMBIB! Glad to hear I am running a thorough-bred . Will look out for automotive filler. 28

Number plates are now on! Looks like it is coming togetther. Have also bought some blackfoot spots of ebay. Can anyone tell me how I can get the spots to attach? My shell has had the attachments for the bar snapped off!