namfreak

Radio Gear Question

Apologies if this is blindingly obvious to most of you but..:

What's the difference between a 40mhz transmitter and a 27mhz transmitter?

I can see a minor difference in price. Does the 40mhz cover longer ranges?

40mhz is the ground frequency in Europe and 27mhz is for the US. Not sure if there is any technical superiority one way or the other.

A correction, since nobody else has set this straight.

27 MHz is the only frequency that is used globally. If rules have no changed this season Japan still has some restrictions for the use of 2.4 GHz for RC. I know they had for the 1:10 Elec OR WC last year. That is why most high-end transmitters are always available in a 27 MHz FM-version even if the "preferred local" frequency might be 40 or 75 MHz. Belgians use 41 MHz, right?

In terms of signal quality when using the same modulation (AM/FM) there is no difference in range between 27 and 40 MHz. A Futaba 3PK with a FM 27 MHz module would have equal range of the same transmitter using an FM 40 MHz module. Regarding pricing, generally the one that sells the most on the market in question is cheaper, which is simple economics. Here in Sweden FM 40 MHz stuff is generally slightly cheaper than FM 27 MHz.

hi there, we in the uk use 27mhz and 40mhz along with 2.4ghz, most people move over to 40mhz for fact it has lots more bands compared to the 6 bands on 27mhz.

I think you tend to find 27mhz is the simplist stuff, two channel, cheap as chips, for bashers. For more channels (these days) you generally need to be on 40mhz or even the "higher end" stuff, like 2.4ghz, SpekTrum etc.