28yoKid

What Is It About The Clod Buster?

I can't stop thinking about the Clod.

Why????

It is slow, but I want one! This is completely irrational. Does anyone else have these attacks of "Clod lust" :blink:

I think it will be my next buy....

...just gotta sell something first...!

I'm off to lie down, and think about the Clodbuster!

The Clod Buster is the quintessential classic monster truck. Its tall with no nonsense styling, has 165mm tyres, looks like the real thing unlike so many newer glorified buggy "monster trucks", it has withstood the test of time and so many hard bashing RC days, its popular enough to necessitate a return in the Super guise, its basic but fun and has numerous hop-ups, it was the height of monster truck technology in its day with 2 motors, 4WD and 4WS and is a huge attention getter and well its a Tamiya :blink: Cant wait for mine to arrive !

Well said. I brought a TXT-1 years ago and don't regret it a bit. Its an awesome piece of kit. Yet oddly, I still felt drawn to the Clod. I had a Bullhead new from way-back and now its a shelfer. Watching the old Tamiya promo kept me interesting in getting a Clod to bash too. Even in the video, you can see the horrible bouncy handling and the wheels going every which way but to me, that's all part of its charm. I've since bought a new Super Clod to flog without the guilt of beating on a vintage piece. I'm putting in 550 power at this very moment, but I'll never make it into a mod-Clod. I just love the imposing stock look of the beast.

come christmas time and my 'christmas savings club' money comes thru from work, a super clodbuster will be making its way to me! early present to me and my son!

It is just a plain old school 4 wheel drive monster truck. You just need to have one!

They are just so much fun, with a few choice mods they are fantastic... i.e. better shocks, 2 steering servos and a metal anti twist bracket.

Heres mine in action (one of the photos that I was thinking of using for this months comp, but not sure.)

post-1305-1225958637.jpg

Cheers guys! I guess this is in fact a normal phenomenon and I can cancel my appointment with my Dr ;)

Anyone care to post some new Clod Footage????

PS Biggus Ditchus -Is that a battleship? :blink:

Seen this?

Eastern Bash - MUD!

This is my clod

messy.jpg

clod.jpg

Originally built by my uncle in 1987 (i would have been 1 year old then!) and owned by my cousin. I've owned it for the past 10 years and would never part with it. I've got modern trucks that drive better, but like the others have said there is something special about the clod that gives it a presence that modern trucks don't have.

Whenever I take trucks to shows to demo to the public, the clod always attracts attention. Crushing cars and popping wheelies is what it's all about - and people are still impressed with the rear wheel steering - even today!

Seen this?

Eastern Bash - MUD!

This is my clod

messy.jpg

clod.jpg

Originally built by my uncle in 1987 (i would have been 1 year old then!) and owned by my cousin. I've owned it for the past 10 years and would never part with it. I've got modern trucks that drive better, but like the others have said there is something special about the clod that gives it a presence that modern trucks don't have.

Whenever I take trucks to shows to demo to the public, the clod always attracts attention. Crushing cars and popping wheelies is what it's all about - and people are still impressed with the rear wheel steering - even today!

Nice video! The clod seem to be the best climber there. Is yours stock there?

Thanks!

There not bad climbers, but are surprisingly easy to get stuck unless you've got locked differentials.

The only mods on my old clod are ball bearings, ESC, aluminium chassis braces and anti rotation brackets (you can see them in water picture, made them myself!)

I'm going to add more powerful motors soon, as the stock 540's are a little slow, though the truck is nice and controllable with them.

The Clod was my third purchase after the BF and MB in the late 80's. I remember the day I bought it, the shop was Hobby Horse and payed $230 bucks! Also, I remember how cool it was to put together, I was a very proud teenager when it was all finished. My friend who had a Brat (he got me in the hobby) bought his Clod shortly after, he had a go at mine and saw how much fun was being had. Unfortuantly, the Clod was sold in 1990 to another friend due to the King Cab coming to shore. That decision was made because my ORV trucks I raced weekly never gave me a chance to win, the King Cab did change that. Well, two years later I got the itch of having a go at truck pulling. That meant, I need a truck with strong drivetrain so I bought the Bullhead because it was less expensive than the Clod. I did well in the 1992 pulling series and then I got an offer I could not turn down by a fellow puller, so the Bully was short lived FUN! I miss these trucks, just might get a Super Clod because I feel incomplete without one :D ..

An old pic of the Bully puller with a 1st place Invitational trophy and the 2nd place season series trophy

bullheadjul1907ig5.jpg

I miss these trucks, just might get a Super Clod because I feel incomplete without one :lol: ..

Let us know when you get one! :P

This forum is a bad influence.

I wanted a Clod Buster as a kid, read this thread and a few others and now have a Super Clod Buster on its way :lol:

Now that a Clod Buster chrome edition is on it's way. It is another reason to get one.

Here is mine, almost stock. Just modified the stock chassis for more better articulation. 4 - oil shocks. Front mounted steering and a junfac skidplate and rear lockout. Aside from the usual ball bearings, Novak SR ESC and mod motors. I also added Tamiya lights for the headlights.

Pic363.jpg

Pic360.jpg

Pic359.jpg

Pic357.jpg

• Like 1

Sigh... Now you guys have got me missing my Clod Buster. And my wish list was already a mile long...

Now that a Clod Buster chrome edition is on it's way. It is another reason to get one.

Here is mine, almost stock. Just modified the stock chassis for more better articulation. 4 - oil shocks. Front mounted steering and a junfac skidplate and rear lockout. Aside from the usual ball bearings, Novak SR ESC and mod motors. I also added Tamiya lights for the headlights.

Pic363.jpg

Pic360.jpg

Pic359.jpg

Pic357.jpg

hi do you know when the chrome edition is gonna be out or do you have any more info on it.

p.s nice clod.

cheers.

Nice Super Clod 4wdmt :lol:

Can you give some more details on how you modified the stock chassis for more articulation and converted to front steering.

Hi steve r.

The mods are fairly easy. I'll list the steps with pics here.

First, I would like to apologize to 28yokid for swamping his thread. I hope this will just give some tips to new owners on how to slightly modify their stock clods.

It is easier if you have a clod ready in front of you. Cause, you will see how much "material" from the stock chassis you must take out with the use of dremel (it is easy if you have some rotary tool). NOTE: The front steering servo holder and linkage, plus the rear steering lock out are aftermarket parts. I bought them from Junfac (ebay). Take out the whole stock steering set-up and shocks. Let the chassis "sit" on the axles and from here, you can make out which parts are touching the chassis. It is obvious that you have to take out the plastic material to free up anything that will hinder the axle movement. Surprisingly, without the stock servo saver, you don't need to take out anything at the rear...just the front. As you can see from the pics, this much is needed to make room for the front axles to move.

Pic365.jpg

Pic366.jpg

Pic368.jpg

With the stock steering out of the way, you can now place everything inside the tub chassis, for a more lower CG.

Pic367.jpg

I tried using 2 oil dampers per side. It is way too stiff, since most of the weight are just on the axles. Having one per side is enough.

I hope this helps.

clods are great, but one is never enough... :)

here's my stock bullhead:

SIMG1306.jpg

stocker 2:

SIMG0683.jpg

stocker 3(shelf)

SIMG1376.jpg

and my racer (TTR style):

cso.sized.jpg

some other B.T.T.'s:

my juggernaut/txt hybrid

SIMG1723%20kopie.jpg

my txt:

image002.jpg

I like the massiveness and the drama of a clod, and straight axle action.

highflyer-

I miss these trucks, just might get a Super Clod because I feel incomplete without one :) ..

Let us know when you get one! :lol:

May go for the CHROMIE and I will LET YOU KNOW ;)

Nice trucks roog909. Thanks for the info 4wdmt i'll give those mods a try when my super clod arrives.

i have this problem to. i am getting a frog because i want a fast buggie but not like the new stlye racing ones. but i just keep thinking about that clod! ;):);):P:wacko::wacko: