rcjunkie3000

Kyosho Optima Series - What Are They Now Worth?

I just started collecting Kyosho Optimas and I have many years of catching up and I don't plan on getting all of them anyway (who knows maybe I might) but what would a collector generally pay for the following NIB, condsidering the condition of the box and parts inside it and if it is complete? Is there a price guide available for vintage RC like they do with comic books and old Hot Wheels?

I would be also be interested in:

What was the original retail price of each using Tower Hobbies as a reference?

What would each cost brand new in the box today?

What would each cost open box and built? Like-new? Used runner? Extremely used missing some parts? Parts car?

Of the ones listed, which one is the most highly sought after?

1. Optima

2. Javelin

3. Celebration Gold Optima

4. Turbo Optima

5. Salute

6. Optima Pro

7. Optima Mid

8. Turbo Optima Mid

9. Turbo Optima Mid SE

10.Turbo Optima Mid Special

11.Optima Mid Custom

12.Optima Mid Custom Special

I know it's asking alot, but all you vintage Kyosho historians please respond when you get a chance. If this has already been answered somewhere else, please point me to the correct link. Thank you! :lol:

Ok, first of all, I don't have all the answers. :lol: Here are the original retail prices from towerhobbies. It's funny, the Turbo Optima and Salute are $10 more in 1989. Also, some versions were not sold by towerhobbies so there's no price for them. As for current value, others here may have a better idea.

1. Optima $179.95

2. Javelin $179.95

3. Celebration Gold Optima (I don't have a price for this but the gold chassis conversion kit was $34.95)

4. Turbo Optima $249.95

5. Salute $239.95

6. Optima Pro

7. Optima Mid $219.95

8. Turbo Optima Mid

9. Turbo Optima Mid SE $299.95

11.Optima Mid Custom

Hi thanks for replying with the Tower Hobbies prices. Did you have an old catalog handy?

Does anyone have information on what these kits would appraise for nowadays Mint On Mint box? Mint New In Box? New built?

1. Optima

2. Javelin

3. Celebration Gold Optima

4. Turbo Optima

5. Salute

6. Optima Pro

7. Optima Mid

8. Turbo Optima Mid

9. Turbo Optima Mid SE

11.Optima Mid Custom

Thanks again.

That's a tough (and detailed question). A NIB Optima sold on Ebay recently for $700. If it were sealed, maybe that we be more, but $700 is a fair figure. Javelins would be more (the rollcage is desired) and the gold edition would be double the price (very rare). I would say 1/3 the price for a new built and 1/9 the price for a runner. Personally, I think Optima, Turbo Optima, and Optima Mid are the most common and thus base price. Salute may be less and Optima Pro also less as they were not as popular. The later Mids were rarer, so they may be more. Just my thoughts . . .

Hi thanks for replying with the Tower Hobbies prices. Did you have an old catalog handy?

Yes, I have several catalogs from the late 80s to early 90s.

Regarding the original Optima kit. I noticed two variations of the original box. One box has "BEC" stamped on the lower left corner. The other one does not. As a collector item would the box without"BEC" be valued more than the kti with "BEC" since it was an earlier kit?

OR No difference, the Optima Gold chassis is the one to get. ;)

Thanks again.

The Gold Edition must be the most sought after. I think it essential to get a very good condition box with it. There are one or two of us on TamiyaClub that are lucky enough to own such a kit too ;)

The most sought after is the Gold Edition Optima - if it's in the box. The gold alloy plates were available separately so there are plenty of cars around with them fitted compared with the limited number of kits.

The rarest one was the Turbo Optima Mid Special, even less numbers sold so even less around although a lot of people don't even know of its existence so isn't as sought after, although there seems to be more of them about than the Gold Edition Optima these days. I believe Retro r/c traded a NIB Mountaineer for a Mid Special, that kind of pushes the price of one even higher than the Gold Edition. I would certainly be more interested and would expect to pay more for a NIB Turbo Optima Mid Special (with all the extras it comes with) than I would pay for a Gold Edition.

Haven't got a clue on prices. I'll only pay what I consider a kit is worth to me at the time, regardless of market value, as I have no plans to ever sell on my collection.

These are the most recent sightings of various Optima NIB kits, runners, shelf queens sold recently on eBay not including shipping:

Optima - $1100 for a NIB Optima from eBay

Optima - $865 for a NIB Optima with a 6 of 10 rating for the box according to the seller from eBay

Optima - $750 for a shelf queen on eBAy

Optima - $107.50 for a used runner off eBay

Optima - $114.50 for a used runner off eBay

Optima - $112.50 for a used runner off eBay

Javelin - $510 for an RTR Javelin on eBay

Celebration Gold Optima

Turbo Optima - $129.50 for a used runner off eBay

Salute

Optima Pro - A curent Optima Pro is on eBay now for $220 no bids

Optima Mid

Turbo Optima Mid

Turbo Optima Mid SE - $99.99 for a roller off eBay

Turbo Optima Mid Special

Optima Mid Custom

Optima Mid Custom Special

As all the chassis are alloy, they have all lasted really well. Now with the new body kit re:re's and such like, the restored ones are becoming more and more common.

As all the chassis are alloy, they have all lasted really well. Now with the new body kit re:re's and such like, the restored ones are becoming more and more common.

??? are you sure you posted in the right treat? There's no mare alloy chassis beginng with the mid, and as far as I know no re-re for kyosho at all (except the giant go-cart)

the Kyosho Optima Mid Custom Special retail price was 26800 YEN at the time of release. I just bought one NIB for about a thousand Dollars and was recently offered a built, but new one, for £300, which is nearly $500 from a local shop.

Paul.

??? are you sure you posted in the right treat? There's no mare alloy chassis beginng with the mid, and as far as I know no re-re for kyosho at all (except the giant go-cart)

Of course I'm sure. I don't collect non- alloy Optima's, so my statement stands. More and more nicely finished Optimas for sale, only the tyres are the tricky bit to get oh and bumpers.

Of course I'm sure. I don't collect non- alloy Optima's, so my statement stands. More and more nicely finished Optimas for sale, only the tyres are the tricky bit to get oh and bumpers.

Not all the chassis are alloy at all, the Turbo Optima Mid "Special" is carbon.

Very late here - will try and get to posting values etc for you guys shortly.

Dont forget that there are in fact 13 Optima kits, there were two versions of the Salute - Blue and Orange/yellow.

Cheers

Darryn

I think I have them all NIB somewhere, do you want me to check the side panels, all Japanese products have the original YEN retail price by law.

Paul.

Yeah, I'd like to know the original retail prices. Did they sell for these prices or is that a guideline like they do in the States where something can be listed at $500 retail but can be purchased easily for $250?

Prices in Japan were retail, but like any country, I imagine there were discounts available, I can't comment though.

All boxes (even Tamiya) have the price number printed on the side.

Paul.

Yeah, I'd like to know the original retail prices. Did they sell for these prices or is that a guideline like they do in the States where something can be listed at $500 retail but can be purchased easily for $250?

Most stuff I have seen in the japanese shops did not sell under retail prices minus about 10%. Of course , as things get older etc discounts start kicking in

Not all the chassis are alloy at all, the Turbo Optima Mid "Special" is carbon.

Very late here - will try and get to posting values etc for you guys shortly.

Dont forget that there are in fact 13 Optima kits, there were two versions of the Salute - Blue and Orange/yellow.

Cheers

Darryn

Hey darryn, I finally understood he was only talking about the optima's in his own collection. I still wonder what re-re and new bodykit he referred too; maybe that wasn't relevant to the kyosho theme?

Hmmmm - I just won the last one that I needed to get all 13 Optima's ever made NIB...(Turbo Optima Mid SE) - for a grand less than the last one went for (only ever seen 2 on ebay - including the one I just "won").

I am VERY suspect of the bidding on the item though.....I dont want to pay for someones fun if you know what I mean! :)

Will get around to posting the values of the others on the boxes - although I think I have a few boxes that have no pricing of any kind at all - of course I could be wrong!

Cheers

Darryn

Hmmmm - I just won the last one that I needed to get all 13 Optima's ever made NIB...(Turbo Optima Mid SE) - for a grand less than the last one went for (only ever seen 2 on ebay - including the one I just "won").

I am VERY suspect of the bidding on the item though.....I dont want to pay for someones fun if you know what I mean! :)

Will get around to posting the values of the others on the boxes - although I think I have a few boxes that have no pricing of any kind at all - of course I could be wrong!

Cheers

Darryn

while you check your boxes, could you peak at the ultima pro boxes also and see if they are pictured with alu or graphite chassis please? It appears the pro had a different chassis in the US and I wonder if the box was any different too.

(sorry for distracting from the original subject)

I was watching that auction. So you were the one that won this A recent NIB Turbo Optima Mid SE for $2022USD. I'm curious as to why these sell for that much? Is it that rare?

I am VERY suspect of the bidding on the item though.....I dont want to pay for someones fun if you know what I mean! :(

Cheers

Darryn

I was watching that auction. So you were the one that won this A recent NIB Turbo Optima Mid SE for $2022USD. I'm curious as to why these sell for that much? Is it that rare?

Yep - a NIB is that rare. :(

In my years on eBay - (8 or 9 now) - I have only ever seen 2 of these kits come up NIB. This one was the second one. I have never paid this much for an Optima kit - and that includes the Custom special and Gold edition!!

Used and new built SE's come up reasonably regularly.

This car pretty much completes just about all the Kyosho kits I ever wanted NIB. It has been missing from my collection for many years.

Cant wait for it to arrive - my fears of strange bidding were unfounded.

Cheers

Darryn

It is a little concerning when an item of supreme rarity appears almost out of nowhere, but in reality, this is where a lot of these thus far undiscovered treasures come from and for that very reason.

I discovered a mint English language (100% mint) NIB 58002 in a tiny shop in an Eastern European country 4 years ago. I paid the original retail price for it.

Paul.

It is a little concerning when an item of supreme rarity appears almost out of nowhere, but in reality, this is where a lot of these thus far undiscovered treasures come from and for that very reason.

I discovered a mint English language (100% mint) NIB 58002 in a tiny shop in an Eastern European country 4 years ago. I paid the original retail price for it.

Paul.

Most of us have similar stories.

When you look hard enough - things happen. Sometimes though - it can be blind luck............I beleive that in allot of cases, you make your own luck.........seems that several people have had similar experiences.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to manufacture my own luck this time. I just could not let this chance go by. I will be selling off some of my other kits and parts now. (When this auction came up I started selling of bits n peices!)

I will be sure to take a pic when the entire family are re-united.

Cheers

Darryn