Sign in to follow this  
dannyfiveforty

Noisey Tt01 Chassis?

I have not long built my brand new Tamiya TT-01 chassis.

To start with the car ran perfectly smooth and quiet, one week on and its sounds very rough.

I have located the noise to be coming from the pinion / spur between the motor (metal) and the larger plastic one. However I have made sure they are well oiled but they are still noisey. I cant seem to adjust the position of the motor (???) to make the cogs rotate more freely.

Or, could the noise be due to the plastic bearings being worn already and ready to be replaced with metal ones?

thanks, Dan

the motor mount plate is NOT a circle. putting the motor in different holes moves the pinion gear left or right. make sure it is in the right ones.

hope that helps

bearings are never a bad idea, but i doubt that is the noise you are hearing.

as cr-01 said, it is critical that the motor is mounted in the correct position for the pinion you are using. if you mounted it wrong and ran it under power, you have probably damaged the spur and possibly the pinion gear and should replace them ASAP. even a small damaged area will make a lot of noise and once began just keeps on getting worse.

on the bright side, pinions and spurs are cheap and plentiful for the TT-01 and its never a bad idea to have a few spares laying around. :)

You should also check that you do not have anything stuck in the gear mesh somewhere. A small rock or piece of sand wedged in there can make quite some noise. Has happened to me a few times.

:)

I would also recommend changing the stock pinion for a steel pinion (the stock aluminium pinions wear terribly). If you replace spur at same time chances are you should have a nice quiet car.

I would also recommend changing the stock pinion for a steel pinion (the stock aluminium pinions wear terribly). If you replace spur at same time chances are you should have a nice quiet car.

Yea check your pinion, mine wore out after a month or so. You can tell because instead of the nice equal triangle teeth they wore to be shark fin shaped, the hop up ones are steel and wear less quickly.

I used to get this also, its just movement in the drive-train, there are a few things you can do to resolve this and smooth it out.

Deffo get full bearings all-round, its better for your car and you will get longer runtimes and less wear. Second i would advise in the aluminium or carbon drive shaft as the plastic one flexes easily under strain. you can grease the gears all you like but it all flicks off inside the case it smoothes it out a bit but only a little, you would better off running it dry but thats a bit late now. The metal bevel diff gears can sometimes make some noise too, just fill them both up with grease!

Make sure the two screws you screw into the plastic motor mount and into the motor is set at the right point (see Manuel for reference) the stock pinion is a 19 and the spur a 61 so use the top and bottom holes, if you miss align these you can either have the pinion too close or two far away from the spur and cause damage to the teeth this making noise. Getting metal motor mount can help keep the motor more secure. Some people have also experinced the plastic and metal bushings that are around the drive shaft cup and spur gear (the bit with the little pin) wears and causes problems.

Finally the drive shaft dogbones and cups that come from the diff to the wheel are a bit clunky and are prone to making a noise on there own that you cant do much about unless you buy universal joints and new metal cups.

TT01 parts are quite cheap so i wouldnt worry too much, if it breaks you can easily fix it and probably figure out what went wrong in the 1st place, it's all part of the hobby :-p

Happy driving

Later

VV

i think that it is only some little dirt in your spur gear or pinion.

check every tooth and you surely find something!

on the bright side, pinions and spurs are cheap and plentiful for the TT-01 and its never a bad idea to have a few spares laying around. B)

That ain't true, I have had ordered the 58 55 spur set for my tt01 over a month later I still don't have thanks to Tamiya not supplying the distrubiter. Now I've got little need for them as I'm using a TC4 instead of the dodgy tt01.

I've destroyed 3 spurs due to the tt01's poor ability for proper adjustment, I can barely give my tt01 away let alone sell it :)

But to check to see if theres damage to the spur, take the motor out. Look closely at the spur and spin it looking for any wear spots in the teeth. The noise can be the spur stripping, so look for teeth that are smaller then others.