Sign in to follow this  
ryanbored

Any Good?

Hi guys and girls- hope you're all well.

Some advice please; I've just won a mint (Dont think it's been used) TA-03 RS Porsche 24 hrs le-mans from ebay. I paid 65 incl runnning gear so I think I got a good deal. My question is this:

Are they any good? I want to use it for drifting. I've had a go on a couple of chassis with drift set ups, from TT-01's to sooooper expensive x-rays and to be fair I was soooo bad It didn't matter what chassis I used!! So really I guess my question is; is my car worth loads of money and should I be swapping it for someones old TT-01?!I noticed it didn't say "Tamiya" in the title so I didn't have any bidding competition...

Don't wanna bash up a nice/ rare car.

Here's the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=011

I'd say keep the body mint and bung some nasty old basher body on there for drifting, especially if you're as bad at it as you say you are. :)

The chassis isn't likely to suffer much from drifting and is probably fixable even if it does take some damage, so protect the box, body and manual - you can return it to its "native condition" if you want to sell it later.

Nice looking car that, and cheap at the price.

Why is it some that I've seen have the motor in the front? Are they just incorrcetly labled? and is there an "extension" piece that takes them out to the standard wheelbase?

Cheers

Ryan

If it is in unused condition I'd relist it properly and buy something more suitable with the money you'd make. RS is the short chassis, wheelbase is only 237m. As Willy says it's hard to find bodies to fit, your only real options for bodies are a Citroen Saxo and Peugeot 106 from HPI. Not surprisingly the RS also has a unique chassis tub and belt, so if it is mint you need to look after those parts. For any other bodies you are going to have to replace the chassis with a standard TA03 one.

The TA03F (that's front motored!) makes a good drifter, so good they are banned from competitions over here. They work better with the motor at the front. If you want I have a lightly used TA03F Chassis I would be prepared to swap for that TA03RS one. :(

Why is it some that I've seen have the motor in the front? Are they just incorrcetly labled? and is there an "extension" piece that takes them out to the standard wheelbase?
The chassis was originally designed to be used with a front mounted motor, while later they introduced a rear motor version. The gearboxes are interchangeable, so it's even possible to build a twin motor version. Almost all of the variations are normal touring car length, the short version uses it's own shorter chassis tub, top deck and belt. To convert it to normal wheelbase means a new chassis and belt.