kontemax

Boomerang, Final Tips Topic.

Yes but you probably don't think about the fact you bought a 22 years old plastic and rubber. Probably your car was old, used and worn.

A new one will be different.

Max

The car was old and worn for sure, but still after rebuilding it, with I would say 90% new parts, I still don't like it. Maybe I just don't like driving cars with mono front shocks? And are they all noizy and slow? I ran it with a Tamiya Super Stock RZ motor and stock gearing. The brand new front bumper also broke on the first and only run. The only parts I don't have replaced with new ones is the gearbox (G1 and G2 parts).

I fully agree on the ball joints being ****. It's the only part I replaced though it wasn't broken and even after the balls were replaced the play was still horrible; 'cause the old worn balss left sand in which ate the plastic parts ;)

On the new release I heard the hotshot has steel balls? Maybe with some foam shields and proper grease it can be kept acceptable for a lot longer time?

The monoshock being too short... I really can't recall. Is there any note in the manual on how long it should be after assembly: maybe the bottom end is just screwed on too far?

I also broke the bumper mount point, but only once.

And yes mine was slow, noisy and with the cheap charger and batteries of those days I had lots of problems to run 5 minutes races to the end on offroad tracks. I've heard and hear other stories, so it may have been me in those days :lol:

I would love to get one again and try to make it work splendid. But it would still only be good for vintage racing only and I have enough higher grade to do that already

For Splended:

Probably also the spare parts were 20 yers old.

Then, where are you located? If you run your car in a cold weather you surelly will break something cause the cold. I never run my cars in december and jannuary for this reason. Actually I own a 22 years old Boomerang with 22 years old parts and never broke. I ran with a 4300 mAh and 13 Turns motor. Obviously if I crash against a wall the car breaks but I suppose every car.

The car is noisly and slow because basically is an Hot Shot but you can improve it easly.

1) New Ball bearings all around, included two thrust bearings in the propeller shaft (I remember no one did replace them)

2) Nib Gears cause often the spur gear is worn due the alluminium pinion gears udes at the time.

3) Nib STEEL pinion gears for RRP or other brands.

4) UJs or CVDs all around.

5) A better and stiffer propeller shaft. I made myself one but now you can buy the Hot Shot re-release one.

With this modifications now my car is fast and silent. Here some links with pictures:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...4653&sid=24

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...40820&id=24

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...53734&id=24

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...53735&id=24

At the end the front damper. No one recall it is too short because no one noticed it at the time. Use a longer front damper or reverse the front damper stays. Slightly close with plastic zip ties upper and lower front arms. With these two tips you eliminate the slop in front suspension.

Max

Thanks a lot Kontermax! Your Boomerang is truely something spesial. You inspired me to give the car a second chance. I will strip it totally and rebuild it from scratch. I will also replace the remaining 10% with brand new parts and add your mods as far as I think it is relevant for my use. It will be used as a light runner any way I believe.

You are right about that the spares could be 20 years old or so even though they are new to me. When I ran my car it was summer and hot outside, so the plastic did not suffer from the cold norwegian winter, but I see your point.

All in all I must thank you for all your advices. The boomer says hallo too :-)

To be clear , the boomer is an entry level 4WD from 20 years back... as such, it IS slow and inefficient as most the entry level cars of its era! But so likeable nonetheless (those looks, man, those looks!)

Kontemax, great boomy you have indeed! What ball diffs are you using please?

Paul

Hi, really don't know what ball diffs I'm using cause I've bought them used.

I only know that the gear is brown. Anyone has some knowledgment about please?

Cheers

MAx

Tamiya agree with Max, the new one has 1150 thrust bearings in the kit.

Paul.

I need to replace the bumper on my old Boomerang. Will the 2008 re-re bumper fit?

Thanks in advance!!

Just to note, there is a small hole in it, which I presume is for the on off switch that must have been relocated. This might make a weak bumper weaker.

Paul.

Just to note, there is a small hole in it, which I presume is for the on off switch that must have been relocated. This might make a weak bumper weaker.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

if you have some picts please post them.

Max

121215.jpg

You can see the hole just next to the left hand side mounting part. It is small and rectangular, but could make a weak point on the bumper.

Paul.

Yes I can understand. The original bumper had a groove in this point cause the steering bar movement. I would like to compare the general thickness of the bumper because the groove were for all the width of the bumper. If Tamiya decides to increase the general thickness and make an hole probably the part will be stronger anyway.

I can think could be some mods or improvements on steering mechanism also...

Will need to buy a re re Boomer.

Max

This bumper hole looks to be there for convience reasons, I assume.

Never having run a boomer for an extended period of time I can only guess that the original would eventually get caked up with dirt etc. and bind the servo up, now you can un-jam it without removing the bumper or let the mud dry and get a toothbrush or similar in there to brush it all away!

Seems sensible? (still can't wait to get one! B) )

For Splended:

Probably also the spare parts were 20 yers old.

Then, where are you located? If you run your car in a cold weather you surelly will break something cause the cold. I never run my cars in december and jannuary for this reason. Actually I own a 22 years old Boomerang with 22 years old parts and never broke. I ran with a 4300 mAh and 13 Turns motor. Obviously if I crash against a wall the car breaks but I suppose every car.

The car is noisly and slow because basically is an Hot Shot but you can improve it easly.

1) New Ball bearings all around, included two thrust bearings in the propeller shaft (I remember no one did replace them)

2) Nib Gears cause often the spur gear is worn due the alluminium pinion gears udes at the time.

3) Nib STEEL pinion gears for RRP or other brands.

4) UJs or CVDs all around.

5) A better and stiffer propeller shaft. I made myself one but now you can buy the Hot Shot re-release one.

With this modifications now my car is fast and silent. Here some links with pictures:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...4653&sid=24

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...40820&id=24

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...53734&id=24

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...53735&id=24

At the end the front damper. No one recall it is too short because no one noticed it at the time. Use a longer front damper or reverse the front damper stays. Slightly close with plastic zip ties upper and lower front arms. With these two tips you eliminate the slop in front suspension.

Max

Max,

Where did you get all the carbon fiber parts, and the upgraded rear control arms? Were these after market items, or did you fabricate them?

All Carbon and alloy parts are fabricated by me, some handmade, some mill made.

Sorry.

Max

Well, I really like the looks of Boomerang and Grasshopper bodies. But the more I read about what is needed to make the Boomerang durable, the more I want to just buy a Dark Impact or Durga, and retrofit a Boomerang body.

Too bad to lose the sleek front monoshock, but oh well, it beats having to re-engineer the whole damned buggy. :(

I did check your galleries, Max. Beautiful Boomerang. Your passion for it really shows. Now I'll be a little racist and say that Italians are known for being a passionate group.

Well, I really like the looks of Boomerang and Grasshopper bodies. But the more I read about what is needed to make the Boomerang durable, the more I want to just buy a Dark Impact or Durga, and retrofit a Boomerang body.

Too bad to lose the sleek front monoshock, but oh well, it beats having to re-engineer the whole damned buggy. :blink:

Now you're talking: check out the hotshot bodied ultima in my avatar :(

Now you're talking: check out the hotshot bodied ultima in my avatar :)

Ha, nice!

BTW, I visited Belgium on business twice last year. I wish I spoke Dutch and could live there. The people, architecture, and lifestyle are excellent, and the beer is to DIE for. My favorite was Leffe Blond. It is a great little country you have there.

Ha, nice!

BTW, I visited Belgium on business twice last year. I wish I spoke Dutch and could live there. The people, architecture, and lifestyle are excellent, and the beer is to DIE for. My favorite was Leffe Blond. It is a great little country you have there.

double thanks :P

Next time: let me know, come by, I show you some of my other creations and we can taste some lesser-known beers and other specialties

Last time I was in Belgium (which was last week, actually) I spoke to the petrol station attendant in French, but I was in the wrong part of Belgium. He stood up straight, visibly bristling and told me (in English) that he was Flemish and that I didn't need to speak French to him, but English preferably, or Dutch (I don't speak Dutch). There was a kind of Gallic shrug (ironically, as it is the French that possibly taught them that famous gesture) and I paid and went on my merry way. It seems as though in some parts of Belgium, you aren't really in Belgium at all. Lovely country and thankfully not nearly as may radar guns in neighbouring Holland, where I believe there is one radar gun to every car.

Incidently modern 'lager' beer (the one with the clear golden colour and bubbles) was invented in Plzen (hence the readily stolen word 'Pilsner') in the Czech Republic in 1842, where more beer is drunk per capita than anywhere else in the world. I live there. If Czech were as strong on the world stage as say Italy or France, then the word Pilsner would be as stricken from the names of foreign beers as the word 'Champagne' from other similarly produced 'sparkling' wines and 'parma' from ham products from other areas. There are many examples of this European bullying of smaller member states and ....

...OK, I had a moment there, I managed to veer back on course ;-)

So what were we talking about again? Oh yes, beautiful Boomerangs (my first car) hopped up to the Max (forgive the pun, my Italian friend!) I seem to remember I once had one with 7 shocks! I think I had one either side of the rear wishbones and three on the front. I will try to replicate this again and do some photos, as that car is long gone.

Paul.

Hi,

Just starting together w/ my son. I got some basic buggies, re-re Boomerang for me and df-02 Rising Storm for my son. Been assembling them for the last few days. I noticed that the Boomerang has some binding on the dog bones when in full steering lock. I then realized that I put in the wrong uprights, I put in the correct one and the binding has been reduced.

Looking to see if I just need to get df-02 Universal shafts (53791) and no cup joints (53790) existing cup joints will work? Or is it like the df-02 where cup joints must be purchased also?

I have attached here a new assembled pic of the Boomerang (w/ wrong uprights) and recently used Rising Storm. Both are bone stock except for full ball bearings.

Thanks to kontemax for giving the idea of switching the front damper stays I was able to fit in TRF dampers on my Boomerang. The TRF dampers are shorter than the stock cva dampers. At the front I needed to switch the dampers stays. At the rear I used DF-02 spring retainer X5 and bottom eyelet X2, it is still shorter than stock by 5mm but not too bad.

The DF-02 universals are great, really the biggest upgrade especially for the front. Rear UJ is hardly an improvement. I have also put in hex adapters, used DF-03 wheels they grip well but old stock tyres are just as good on loose dirt.

I have broken the small thin retainer of the rear gearbox. This retainer keeps C6 part which is the blue part where the rear shock towers are screwed. I just put in lexan to hold C6 which sandwich between the gearbox halfs which works great.

Thanks to kontemax for giving the idea of switching the front damper stays I was able to fit in TRF dampers on my Boomerang. The TRF dampers are shorter than the stock cva dampers. At the front I needed to switch the dampers stays. At the rear I used DF-02 spring retainer X5 and bottom eyelet X2, it is still shorter than stock by 5mm but not too bad.

The DF-02 universals are great, really the biggest upgrade especially for the front. Rear UJ is hardly an improvement. I have also put in hex adapters, used DF-03 wheels they grip well but old stock tyres are just as good on loose dirt.

I have broken the small thin retainer of the rear gearbox. This retainer keeps C6 part which is the blue part where the rear shock towers are screwed. I just put in lexan to hold C6 which sandwich between the gearbox halfs which works great.

Will the DF-02 Universals work on the hotshot also...looks like a good modifications.

Also, does anyone have the part number for the DF-03 hex adapters?

F

Will the DF-02 Universals work on the hotshot also...looks like a good modifications.

Also, does anyone have the part number for the DF-03 hex adapters?

F

Maybe, I am not sure. The re-re Hotshot has different front and rear dog bones, they are also different from re-re Boomerang dog bones.

Hex adapter I used is Tamiya Pin Type Adapter Set 53056