_4-0_

Anyone See The Gadget Show?

Has anyone just seen The Gadget Show on channel 5? The gave a peek of next weeks show where they try to see how fast they can make an RC car jump and how fast they can make one go. One of the ones they jumped looked like it had a large Tamiya logo on the underside of it. Anyone know what it was? I can't wait til next week lol.

http://www.jasonbradbury.com/index.php/200...record-attempt/

Yeah the gadget shows a good programme and i carnt wait to watch it with an rc car jump! :)

Looking at the pic of the car, none of it looks Tamiya to me.

Might be good to watch though.

One of the main points of the feature is to establish some certified Guinness world records instead of just the current single record for the fastest car, which is why they are using cars built specifically for speed runs such as the one in the link and a twin motored Kyosho mp777 used for the jump.

Nick Case even came over with his world record holding Schumacher touring car based streamliner but problems meant he didn't get to run it.

The program was also helped by Schumacher and Tamiya, so expect to see some of both of them at some point.

They should have got Biggus and his Durga out there as that seems to spend a lot of time flying through the air.. lol

They should have got Biggus and his Durga out there as that seems to spend a lot of time flying through the air.. lol
But to be counted the buggy has to land on it's wheels, not cartwheel down the field/beach/track :blink:

i cant wait for it but at the same time i know it will wind me up. the last time they had tamiyas on i was shouting at the screen because they had no idea what they were dealing with and kept on calling them toys. also they had no idea how to set up the tamiya TNX which was by far the best car there but did not win because they messed up the engine tuning! :blink:

Plus they only ever review stuff how it comes in the box. The thing about Tamiyas for me is that they are cheap to buy to begin with, then upgradable in the area you want. Whereas HPI, Kyosho etc. etc. you have to spend loads to begin with, and fewer hop-ups are available.

..they had no idea what they were dealing with and kept on calling them toys. also they had no idea how to set up the tamiya TNX which was by far the best car there but did not win because they messed up the engine tuning! :(
Firstly yes, they are just expensive toys, just like Scalextric and Playstation/XBox/Wii are toys. A small number of people for each of them take it more seriously but for 90% of the users they are just toys.

Secondly, I know someone who was there for that first show and they also complained that due to the filming schedule they didn't have time to tune the engines, something the producers didn't know about and something a newbie r/cer definitely wouldn't know about. The program isn't aimed at die hard r/cers, you've got RcRacing and RCTVLive for that. It was aimed at the perfect r/c car for beginners who most often have only ever known of the cheap toys found in Toys R Us, and given the same choice I would have picked the Mini as well, being the only electric car there. An awful lot of nitro r/c trucks are bought RTR by first time buyers over the internet or from a high street shop with no backup. They try and start them, it won't keep running, they might even try fiddling with the engine settings (but we are talking about a breed of owner that takes a buggy back to a shop to have a broken wishbone replaced - no kidding!) and because it doesn't run all the time it ends up being thrown in a cupboard and forgotten about. Getting someone started on an electric that just plugs in and works is the best way of getting into the hobby. After that if they want nitro they have some experience behind them and hopefully should be more prepared for the experience.

BTW on the track the TNX was beaten by the HBX VRX-2 ;)

Plus they only ever review stuff how it comes in the box. The thing about Tamiyas for me is that they are cheap to buy to begin with, then upgradable in the area you want. Whereas HPI, Kyosho etc. etc. you have to spend loads to begin with, and fewer hop-ups are available.
The choice to upgrade is there, but almost all TT-01s in the world are still running around with the standard shocks and the kit 540 in them, only a small proportion of them get hopped up. Every beginner who has turned up at my club with a TT-01 has still had the plastic propshaft in it. The TT-01s competition isn't Kyoshos or HPIs, it's main competitors are the Maverick Strada, A-Tech ATX and Carisma M40S, none of which have any upgrades.

Look at it from a different angle. If they review mobile phones I would like to know what they are like "how it comes in the box", not that it's a great phone if you download new firmware, buy another piece of software, upgrade the battery and replace the headset. If I want a camera I would want them to test it as it comes, not that it's so much better if you replace the lens and add a bigger battery pack. In the same way someone who isn't already into r/c will want to know what it's like as it comes in the box, which is what the Gadget Show sets out to show.

All I'm saying is that they should point out that for the same price as...etc. they could have a Tamiya with Hop-ups to make it just as good, if not better.

Although of course I would prefer to see Tamiya start shipping at least a Sport Tuned motor in every kit, full bearings and oil dampers. Just because it held sway in the 1980s doesn't mean it does now.

Hi all

just a heads up that its on tonight at 8.00pm uk time on 5.

trying to break the r/c world record ,even your misses can watch it there testing washing machines lol there again best not less r/c funds in the new year for you guys :D

cad

Hi all

just a heads up that its on tonight at 8.00pm uk time on 5.

trying to break the r/c world record ,even your misses can watch it there testing washing machines lol there again best not less r/c funds in the new year for you guys :D

cad

cheers, i would of forgotten about that.

OMG the bald bloke is so annoying!

Interesting to find out what electrics they were running in the baldre - surely a balls out brushless on lipos would breeze 15M?

anyone missed it here is the full show.

http://demand.five.tv/Episode.aspx?episode...ame=C5138890011

mine is a little stop start but those of you with faster connections should be ok i'd imagine

i've come to the conclusion its not my computer its just channel 5 being rubbish. i was expecting it to play like the bbc iplayer not like a slide show of photos, sorry for putting up rubbish guys

OMG the bald bloke is so annoying!

Interesting to find out what electrics they were running in the baldre - surely a balls out brushless on lipos would breeze 15M?

Yeah, thats what i was thinking, stick a 3T brushless in there and you could clear 15 odd miles....

Bit of a poor attempt at jumping by both of them tbh...

yeh i agree, it would have been better if when she had broken it said that you can get replacement parts otherwise all the little kids watching will think once its broke theyl have to buy a new one, therefore discuraging them from the sport

Interesting stuff, I really like the gadget show, watched it since the first series.

But it just seemed to lack the information most gadget show reviews and features provide. They didn't mention anything about the electrics (ie brushless and lipo tech) nor did they talk anything meaningful about nitro power.

What really was annoying was the number of times the nitrage and the twin engined car were referred to as "PETROL" powered rc's. Come on guys! If you put petrol in there, you'd be risking a fire.

And why on earth attempt a long jump with a single speed truggy that can only do 40 mph :huh: 15 metres seems pretty short for a record too :lol:

Oh well, it's nice to see tamiya on tv. Just a shame they didn't review the cars like they would review a tv, or a food blender :(

Interesting stuff, I really like the gadget show, watched it since the first series.

But it just seemed to lack the information most gadget show reviews and features provide. They didn't mention anything about the electrics (ie brushless and lipo tech) nor did they talk anything meaningful about nitro power.

What really was annoying was the number of times the nitrage and the twin engined car were referred to as "PETROL" powered rc's. Come on guys! If you put petrol in there, you'd be risking a fire.

And why on earth attempt a long jump with a single speed truggy that can only do 40 mph :huh: 15 metres seems pretty short for a record too :lol:

Oh well, it's nice to see tamiya on tv. Just a shame they didn't review the cars like they would review a tv, or a food blender :(

Agree 100%

They assume nobody has ever seen an RC car before and, setting a world record speed attempt in a buggy with an unexperienced driver on a wet runway with stones on it, wasn't really going to happen from the start.