Leethal Driver

Ansmann Clash Motors - Any Good?

Ansmann Clash motors - dirt cheap compared to Tamiya Superstock BZ (favoured motor at mo). Begs the question are they any good? Give me some views

I have a 15t in my Grasshopper and TT01, about the same top speed as a Superstock TZ but lacks the torque and acceleration obviously - battery runtime a little longer too, I would say good value for money but you get what you pay for! My hopper almost kept up with some E-Maxxs at a recent bash!

Good value, but performance is less than sparkling - add 3 or 4 turns for a realistic idea of what they go like, i.e. an Ansmann 19 turn will perform about the same as an "average" 23 turn.

I think you can work out that an Ansmann 23T is no better than a bog standard silvercan 27T 540.

Good value, but performance is less than sparkling - add 3 or 4 turns for a realistic idea of what they go like, i.e. an Ansmann 19 turn will perform about the same as an "average" 23 turn.

I think you can work out that an Ansmann 23T is no better than a bog standard silvercan 27T 540.

I ran an Ansmann 15 turn in a DF03RA at the lowest gearing I could and it was fast to start with but just got uber hot and burnt out after 2-3 runs.

They aren't made to last.

I have a 15t ansman, it was not very good at all, my hunter systems motor was much quicker and the same price.

as with everything in life, you get what you pay for

i've been running a clash21 turn in my tt-01 with a teu 101bk for a while now, and altho not blisteringly quick, its enough for me!

I think youre find Ansmann motors are just good old Mabuchi 540s in 23 and 25 turn variants.

Many companies such as HPI,Graupner and Traxxas just stick their own stickers on them :)

We use Mabuchi 540SH as a control motor at the club i race at and I recently took apart an Ansmann clash to count the turns and it had 23 and looked identical to the Mabuchi item as supplied by Mardave, Huntersystems and others.

hmmm......

I think youre find Ansmann motors are just good old Mabuchi 540s in 23 and 25 turn variants.

Many companies such as HPI,Graupner and Traxxas just stick their own stickers on them :)

We use Mabuchi 540SH as a control motor at the club i race at and I recently took apart an Ansmann clash to count the turns and it had 23 and looked identical to the Mabuchi item as supplied by Mardave, Huntersystems and others.

hmmm......

No they arent rebadged mabuchi found in Mardaves (for a start they have a fan) although i would say the 23 turn clash offers similar performance to the stock older Mardave G2 motor.

If you want a good cheap upgrade I would steer away from the Clash series (if your going to buy one I would stick with the 23), but Mardave have just released new motors and they offer a significant improvement in torque. Easily identified by the chrome sticker stuck around the can as opposed to earlier motor which had sticker inline with can.

quite simply, no, they are not. they have no torque at all no matter what you do with the gearing. i would much rather stick with the standard silver can than have a ansmann clash in any of my cars. i find the only good ansmann stuff is there cheap buggy wheels and their slow chargers and battery packs.

PS do NOT buy a ansmann fast charger as they last about a week tops.

In a very light car, they're great. Cheap enough that you can buy 4-5 for the price of one Tamiya spec motor. They are like a small displacement, high revving engine in a 1:1 car. Great fun, good top end, but will blow and have no torque.

I had a 15T in my Mini, it was monster fast. Now in the Hornet and pretty good. It couldn't even make my Lunch Box wheelie - and the SuperStock BZ has it doing backflips.

No they arent rebadged mabuchi found in Mardaves (for a start they have a fan) although i would say the 23 turn clash offers similar performance to the stock older Mardave G2 motor.

If you want a good cheap upgrade I would steer away from the Clash series (if your going to buy one I would stick with the 23), but Mardave have just released new motors and they offer a significant improvement in torque. Easily identified by the chrome sticker stuck around the can as opposed to earlier motor which had sticker inline with can.

quick note about the new G2 motor - which was the reason i was pulling Ansmanns apart (the 2 i pulled apart didnt have fans btw) there are loads of them failing - and i mean LOADS - the copper on the comm seems really soft and the slots are closing up.

We've even pulled apart new ones, skimmed them (shocking to see how out of true they are) and chamfered the slot edges and after about 3-4 races the copper has spread back and nearly closed them up again...

and we are only running 4 cell cars - im still using an old V14 in my stock rod and its still well on the pace lol

PS just found out the new G2 is the same as an HPI Saturn :-)

yeah ansmann are not great motors. i have a 18 and a 21 turn the 18 is only as fast as my orion 27 turn stock motor :lol:

I tried a 21 turn Ansmann in a Falcon just to see if it was any good as it was only a fiver...What a waste of time, it was absolutely **** and had no torque whatsoever. I should have guessed that the fact it was only five pounds was a clue to it's poor performance. I'm running a Sports Tuned in it now & it's 10 times better.

I just put a 18T in my pumpkin!, and my mate has a 21T in his!

So far, no complaints and the 18T is working with the standard Tamiya ESC (the 101BK?)

only had a couple of runs with the 18T motor, but this EZRUN Brushless seems a better buy at the moment!

I was running a stock tamiya 27T in mine and he had the 21T ansmann clash and his was much faster!!!(also with standard tamiya ESC)

I take it all back(what I said about these motors), my ansmann clash motor died today, less than 6 months old and not been used much, I had it in my pumpkin and soon realised it was rubbish so it was replaced with a 19T double Peak Racing motor, I recently fitted the Ansmann Clash 18T into the Mad Bull and it has lasted about a week!. Tried to run it today and it just won't move, the motor is free and will turn by hand but will not turn at all by battery, back to a stock silvercan in the Mad Bull now and everthing is working fine.

Waste of £7 pounds :)

E2A: I just chucked it on the floor, and now it works again??, nope it's stopped again, I think it's proper dead now.

Edit again, It works again now after "dropping it" on the floor a few more times?, maybe something was caught in the brushes?, still not fitted it back into a car though.

i have a couple of 15t ansmanns and they wipe the floor with the sports tuned and doesn't come close to a silver can. I guess i got a bit luckier than most of you guys top end especially. i've got a 60amp ezrun 10.5t in the post so i might be taken back by the power of it :blink:

Just found this thread and I have used ansmann motors for ages with no complaints?? The 15turn ones are great fun!

I think it depends what you do with them - I've had two of them die completely just from getting too much dirt in them...

How good are hpi motors compared to ansmann. I'm thinking about putting a 20 turn hpi Saturn in my re re frog. At the moment it's running a 27 turn mabuchi.

Steve.

Slower then turn rating suggests but I have one I have had for years and its been really good and brushes still have loads left. Just don't expect it to be a rocket. More 23 24t with a 20t hpi in my opinion.

Any suggestions for a reasonable substitute, I'm looking for a motor that doesn't cost loads but will make my frog shift.

Steve.